Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do?
Cut entitlements 12 70.59%
Print money to pay for them 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I guess I'm the only one for inflation. It did me well during the Carter Years. I bought a house for $35K and financed $25K. I was unable to sell the old house. In a few years the house was worth $135K so i sold it and went back to the old house and put $100k into 14% CDs for 5 years. Those years were some of my best.

Of course your "story" is crazy. Inflation benefits no one in the end, unless it can be reversed. What you experiences was Carter's inflation, which was reversed by Reagan's economic agenda. If we experience hyperinflation, like the type of Mozambique. Argentina, Mexico or the Weimar Republic, EVERYONE'S wealth will diminish. There will be no winners.

In order to insure solvency, we must dramatically reduce spending. Part of this, of course, would have to be radical cuts in medicare, social security, and other social programs. The answer is clear, as failure to do so will result in financial disaster for the US. What we lack now is politicians who have the will to do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Notice the winger doesn't include the option of raising taxes. Especially on the ultra-wealthy in this Nation.

That's too taboo for them to even consider......LOL

Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Notice the winger doesn't include the option of raising taxes. Especially on the ultra-wealthy in this Nation.

Why do the rich owe you or anyone else or our pathetic gvt anything.You do know that the gvt takes in over $3 trillion,what amount is enough for you?I wonder if you have a Karl Marx poster in your bed room? you should since he is your hero.LMAO

Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Instead of a gas tax, I would be in favor of a legislation tax. $1000 a word for each and every piece of legislation, unless it is to get rid of a past piece of legislation.
My idea is to have the sponsor of a bill hand write (with a feather) each and every bill presented for consideration. Yip that is what I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I guess I'm the only one for inflation. It did me well during the Carter Years. I bought a house for $35K and financed $25K. I was unable to sell the old house. In a few years the house was worth $135K so i sold it and went back to the old house and put $100k into 14% CDs for 5 years. Those years were some of my best.
Most people don't know about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips_curve Phillips curve. It went out of fashion with stagflation in the 1970's but if you have inflation by printing money first you get low unemployment. The trick is you need the money to get into the hands of the consumers. So print money and give it to everyone!!!
If we were to expand our payroll to about max that is to push on the aggregate supply curve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_supply http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_demand WE should just about balance the budget and be able to pay for all those entitlements buy hard work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course your "story" is crazy. Inflation benefits no one in the end, unless it can be reversed. What you experiences was Carter's inflation, which was reversed by Reagan's economic agenda. If we experience hyperinflation, like the type of Mozambique. Argentina, Mexico or the Weimar Republic, EVERYONE'S wealth will diminish. There will be no winners.
Inflation helps those that had high debt at the start and it hurts those that had high savings at the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
In order to insure solvency, we must dramatically reduce spending. Part of this, of course, would have to be radical cuts in medicare, social security, and other social programs. The answer is clear, as failure to do so will result in financial disaster for the US. What we lack now is politicians who have the will to do the right thing.
This is only partially true. What has the worlds economy down is the money has pooled in several places, OPEC, China and Germany. In the US economy money has pooled in the hands of the rich or in rich entities like corporations. There is a drought of money in the hands of the workers and the poor. This imbalance of funds is what is drive the continuing economic disaster. Cutting spending will actually hurt at this point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

I'm all for a 98%tax on the top 0.1% of the income distribution. And a 78% on the rest of the top 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Why do the rich owe you or anyone else or our pathetic gvt anything.You do know that the gvt takes in over $3 trillion,what amount is enough for you?I wonder if you have a Karl Marx poster in your bed room? you should since he is your hero.LMAO
It has nothing to do with the rich owing any thing to anybody. It has everything to do with the economy being frozen like an engine with out any oil in it. We need to add oil where it is needed. That is all.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
We already know what they will do and it does not matter what we think.They will inflate because it is the easy way out and they do not have the stomach to face pain.The good news is that Barnanke seem to suggest that he wanted to curb the printing press but that could be just rhetoric.I do not see any cuts to entitlement programs from our gutless leaders from both parties,the seats they hold are more important to them then doing the right thing.
We need to make the programs more efficient. That way we can cut costs but not benefits. How about having a large part of the labor of administering the programs come from volunteer labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies