Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmenot View Post
Wow I have read the article and have heard one colleague of mine in the senior home (http://www.findseniorhomes.com - broken link) I am working for and I somehow agree with her. And yeah that would cost a lot of money, I guess that governments nowadays are being oblivious on spending more money for military, and are focus more on national defense rather than education and health care. I mean, there should be a balance of everything. Government must not forget that they have other obligations to people other than protecting them from terrorists.
Thank you for the discussion!
Rust
#1 senior home Directory (http://www.findseniorhomes.com - broken link)
Show me in the constitution where our government has other obligations to people other than protecting them from our enemies and keeping them free. It has always been my belief that our government's job is to keep us safe and free so we can do for ourselves and one's health is a personal thing unless you want our government to run health camps where people are allowed to only eat what they say. Paying for your own health care is a responsibility for each person that comes from living in a free country. While it can sometimes be rough, I would not change it for any lack of freedom. When people start paying for their own health care, living a healthy lifestyle becomes much more important.

Last edited by NCN; 03-19-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not a liberal progressive.
Where did i say you were?

Quote:
This isn't World War II.
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
The federal government has over extended its bounds in spending for National defense.
If all the federal government spent taxpayer money on was matters concerning national defense, we would not be in debt. So trying to argue that expenditures on our national defense put the country in debt, you's be mistaken, to say the least.

Quote:
There are those that aren't happy, unless this country is involved in one war or another. What, let's start World War III to stimulate our economy Always an excuse
Strawman argument, just like when you tried to use the your not being a liberal as part of your argument. If you want to excoriate people who want to get the country into war, so they can make a profit, go start another thread, and name, names. don't attempt to accuse me as being one who wants war, just to punch up your argument.

Quote:
If you were truly fiscally conservative - you would want to reduce spending ACROSS the Board, not just pick and choose your poison
I'm supposed to want to cut funds to our national defense because trillions of dollars have been spent by our government on everything else, except national defense? sorry pal, try another tact; maybe a few more straw man arguments will do it, but i doubt it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
we spend more on social services than we spend on the military...

I am all for cutting back...ON EVERYTHING
We spend more on Military.
You know - if I ran my household like the Government does - I'd be HOMELESS.

I think I've had this argument with you before. Here are the numbers:

Total Mandatory Defense Spending $1.003–$1.223 trillion for year of 2011

Mandatory Spending 2010 - Social Programs
$453 billion (+6.6%) – Medicare
$290 billion (+12.0%) – Medicaid
Total .743 Trillion

Defense-related expenditure - 2011 Budget request & Mandatory spending:
Department of Defense spending $721.3 billion - Base budget + Overseas Contingency Operations
FBI counter-terrorism $2.7 billion - At least one-third FBI budget
Homeland Security $54.7 billion
International Affairs $10.1–$54.2 billion - Mostly Foreign arms sales & entire State Department budget
Energy Department, defense-related $20.9 billion
Veterans Affairs $66.2 billion
Veterans Pensions $58.4 billion
NASA, satellites $3.4–$8.5 billion - Between 20% -50% of NASA's total budget
Other defense-related mandatory spending $7.5 billion
Interest on debt incurred in past wars $57.7–$228.1 billion

$695 billion – Social Security - of which I don't think should be included with Medicare & Medicaid as a it was to be a trust fund. If the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT didn't STEAL from it - there would be MONEY IN IT. It is only liquid until 2037.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
thanks for the laugh. How's that tin-foil hat fitting you? Picking up any interesting radio stations?
No, I searched it on the internet myself. Our news people will not touch in this country what is common news in other nations. Maybe you need to stop making personal attacks on those who know more than you do and start doing your own investigation. You might educate yourself. I became interested when the court cases started to be dismissed and the only reason they were is that a common citizen did not have a right to bring up the case. This should be the job of congress and they are NOT doing their job. Another clue is so many of this presidents records being closed.

Before his records were closed one organization found that he allegedly went to college here in the United States as a foreign student. If you don't find that strange, I will let you wear the tin-foil hat.

Then there are the actions he has taken since he has been in office. He seems to be doing everything he can to make our citizens dependent on the government rather than the other way around.

Last edited by NCN; 03-19-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You Have No Say About Your Military | Mother Jones

(Emphasis mine)

I hope to see the Tea Party crow talking about this deficit spending!!
Nope, Cannot afford that either. We cannot afford to continue our Militaristic empire around the globe.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Nope, Cannot afford that either. We cannot afford to continue our Militaristic empire around the globe.
Well, its about time we started collecting money from our all those countries which form our global empire then, because it looks like we US taxpayers are the only ones contributing.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No, I searched it on the internet myself. Our news people will not touch in this country what is common news in other nations. Maybe you need to stop making personal attacks on those who know more than you do and start doing your own investigation. You might educate yourself. I became interested when the court cases started to be dismissed and the only reason they were is that a common citizen did not have a right to bring up the case. This should be the job of congress and they are NOT doing their job. Another clue is so many of this presidents records being closed.

Before his records were closed one organization found that he allegedly went to college here in the United States as a foreign student. If you don't find that strange, I will let you wear the tin-foil hat.
Maybe this will help you out

If Obama had citizenship elsewhere, it’s simply because of their laws and not a choice he’s made. His father was a Kenyan citizen and that automatically conveys to Obama. Obama also grew up in Indonesia and that conveys citizenship on him, too. But Obama does not carry their passports, serve in their military, or otherwise act as a citizen of those countries.

Voting in a foreign election, serving in a foreign army, or swearing allegiance to a foreign government used to be automatic grounds for losing U.S. citizenship. But a 5-4 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967 made it all but impossible for someone to lose U.S. citizenship unless he or she wants to give it up. That’s the law.

His mother was a US Citizen by birth - making him a US citizen at birth. I believe he was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961. Hawaii became a State in 1959.

Enough said. Sorry, but you missed your argument by two years - one month

Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

(Emphasis mine)

like comparing apples and oranges..
'
Nita

Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:

(Emphasis mine)

Go back to your homework please... wtf is with people on this forum?

Im beginning to think most of the posters here are still in school and haven't hit the real world yet. Your opinions are naive and unrealistic... My political views in college were very different from what they are today, 2 years after graduation and having a real job.

Graduate, work for a year and THEN tell us your opinions.

Last edited by ryanst530; 03-19-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Show me in the constitution where our government has other obligations to people other than protecting them from our enemies and keeping them free. It has always been my belief that our government's job is to keep us safe and free so we can do for ourselves and one's health is a personal thing unless you want our government to run health camps where people are allowed to only eat what they say. Paying for your own health care is a responsibility for each person that comes from living in a free country. While it can sometimes be rough, I would not change it for any lack of freedom. When people start paying for their own health care, living a healthy lifestyle becomes much more important.
Good point, NCN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies