Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, they do as you say "feel" the harm. They get a high off the pain they cause. The hunt, the manipulation, it is exciting to them.

The thing you are doing right now: trying to elicit pity, is a typical manipulative behavior utilized against those the predator wants to take advantage.

I don't believe anyone has, in this discussion, brought up "moral", except yourself. Why do you think that is? No one has judged, just stated fact; yet you choose to twist that into "judgement" because it is not the repsonse for which you hoped.
Really judge me all you want, it's all people do these days anyways.

Seeing as how this thread is about the general subject of sociopathy though, you can just use the PM feature to tell me how bad a person I am and how much of a sociopath I am.

None of what you have presented is fact, only anger arising from a lack of understanding. Didn't you at one point say sociopaths can change and just decide to feel empathy if you want to? To consider that fact would, alone, be laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The sociopath doesn't care if behavior is "good" or "bad". It is not about the "inability to understand. It is understanding and choosing to be cruel for personal gain. This is what happens. It has nothing to do with empathy and everything to do with motivation and percieved reward to them as a result of their behavior.

Slavery is not a comparison. You cannot compare a societal practice with a psychological diagnosis. Two different things entirely.
They don't choose to be cruel for personal gain. They choose to do whatever it takes for personal gain. That could just as easily be buying someone a gift or something.

The very definition of sociopathy is lacking empathy. That is fact.

"personality disorder characterized by an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct, masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal."

Quit trying to create your own definitions for the disorder to better fit your argument.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Their aware it's hurting them, but they don't understand how it's bad.
it's already been stated that sociopaths are dishonest which you are displaying with your reasoning.

how is it that dousing some lifeform with gasoline and lighting them on fire, not understanding how bad that would hurt?

do you honestly think a sociopath that commits an act like that is unaware that it will hurt or even kill?

oh, they just stumbled upon some gasoline and a match. yeah, riight. interesting sociopaths don't accidently stumble upon doing something nice or benign to do. you know your posts are getting more and more full of bs.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Still playing the "pity me" thing? You are transparent.

Yes, I know exactly what I am talking about. I've studied it quite a bit. I know evil when I see it. And, I know how to deal with it. I am not a victim and will not be manipulated.

Adios!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
it's already been stated that sociopaths are dishonest which you are displaying with your reasoning.

how is it that dousing some lifeform with gasoline and lighting them on fire, not understanding how bad that would hurt?

do you honestly think a sociopath that commits an act like that is unaware that it will hurt or even kill?

oh, they just stumbled upon some gasoline and a match. yeah, riight. interesting sociopaths don't accidently stumble upon doing something nice or benign to do. you know your posts are getting more and more full of bs.
Again, I couldn't care less what you think about me. Save your vindictive remarks for the PM, it's out of place.

Why do I need to keep repeating? They don't empathize with others. Just because you don't understand doesn't make me (and the many psychologists that back up what I'm saying) wrong. Do you think you can relate to someone in Africa who's been starved half their life just because of what you're told through the media?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
They don't choose to be cruel for personal gain. They choose to do whatever it takes for personal gain. That could just as easily be buying someone a gift or something.

The very definition of sociopathy is lacking empathy. That is fact.

"personality disorder characterized by an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct, masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal."

Quit trying to create your own definitions for the disorder to better fit your argument.

so what is your point in having sympathy for those who are unsympathetic? sociopaths choose to not have sympathy, it is usually NOT a total lack of sympathy or defect as you assume.

bullies are typical sociopaths, for example and even they pick and choose who they bully and who they don't. they are also curbed by retaliation. it's obvious why.

the only difference between a sociopath and those who we consider not a sociopath is that the former is just more of an ******* than the later.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Y'all do realize, don't you, that many, if not most, combat soldiers become functioning, practicing sociopaths? They become cold, emotionless, methodical killers who know right from wrong very well, but do it anyhow. In fact, many come to enjoy it. It's easy to say that the situation makes them that way (and there's much truth in that), but that doesn't go far enough to explain the psychology of it all.

Are they "evil" too, or is it just when a sociopath practices his "art" in polite society?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Still playing the "pity me" thing? You are transparent.

Yes, I know exactly what I am talking about. I've studied it quite a bit. I know evil when I see it. And, I know how to deal with it. I am not a victim and will not be manipulated.

Adios!
You don't even know the definition of sociopath. A 5-minute trip to Wiki would've taught you more than your "studies".

It's ok, some people find it difficult to leave emotions at the door when dealing with one of the darkest corners of mankind.

So long.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Do you think you can relate to someone in Africa who's been starved half their life just because of what you're told through the media?
Excuse me? Do i know what it's like to be a starving african? of course not. but it is obvious that anyone who is not a retard understand what hunger is and what that does to someone if they are without food. everyone has felt some pangs of suffering, even sociopaths so can relate to some aspects of it.

again, you are being obtuse and twisting things as much as possible to wield false and inflated justification.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
so what is your point in having sympathy for those who are unsympathetic? sociopaths choose to not have sympathy, it is usually NOT a total lack of sympathy or defect as you assume.

bullies are typical sociopaths, for example and even they pick and choose who they bully and who they don't. they are also curbed by retaliation. it's obvious why.

the only difference between a sociopath and those who we consider not a sociopath is that the former is just more of an ******* than the later.
If it's not a total lack of sympathy, than it's not sociopath. It's called jerk. You seem to be well acquainted with that word, I'd figure you would know the difference.

Sociopaths don't choose anything, that's utterly moronic as I've said before. Sociopathy is a personality disorder. It's in the same grouping as: paranoid, schizo, emotionally unstable, etc.

Do the people who have those choose too as well?

Are all psychologists lying to us?

Or is the one person on the C-D message boards proclaiming (at the top of his lungs) else wise wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies