Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Aren't Tea Baggers against government EVERYTHING?

So is every toothless racist redneck who thinks "things were better befer' we got that there nagger up ther in the White House" a Tea party participant/leader until proven otherwise?

"...want a federal government that fosters job creation."

Governments don't foster job creation. They stand in the way of job creation. Have you learned nothing from the stimulus package? How about the New Deal? When did that solve the unemployment problem? Give up? It was in September of 1940 when the military draft took hundreds of thousands of young men out of the civilian work force. Only then did unemployment decline. Government intervention doesn't work and never has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I agree. It's almost like sports teams that pay ungodly amounts for a superstar that turns out to be a flop. I'm for small salaries with bonuses tied to measurable results. A lot of the compensation should be stock or stock options. Run the company in the ground and you are only hurting yourself.

I agree about the long hours and responsibilities. I haven't really tried to move up the ladder out of technical jobs because I see my manager sending e-mails at midnight. I'd rather make my money via technical knowledge and be able to spend time with my family and friends.
The problem though is that the MSM touts the outrageous salaries of the bankster CEO's and Insurance Co. CEO's..the very CEO's that brought down their companies and needed bailouts. Not every CEO makes that kind of money.

But they've all been lumped into this category of "greedy bad CEO's" who rake in millions upon millions.

So the broad brush has been stroked and now capitalism is a bad word and CEO's are literally criminals.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
So you like it like this? People stereotyping entire masses of people and calling them nasty names, and even violence? That is what you're "great divide" will get you and it can get much worse. I for one don't want to see this country go through such a divide.

As for you wanting to cut the country up; I thought liberals were all about diversity? I suppose that doesn't go for a diversity of ideas.

One more thing. I don't want to see all of my liberal friends moving to another side of the country. They're some of the finest people that I know.
I didn't say I liked the violence. I am very much against the violence.
If someone calls me a nasty name, it doesn't really bother me. I've been called all sorts of name in my life so...I just see it as a part of life.

I support diversity.

You can always go visit your liberal friends. It's not like I'd advocate no Conservatives be allowed in. I just don't know if it would be the same way on the Conservative side. Seeing posts like, "Liberalism is a disease." "Liberals are the anti-christ." "Liberals are evil," etc doesn't really foster the ideas Liberals would be welcome in a land of Conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No problem....more often than not people are less than respectful online...you spend enough time on these message boards and you jump to those conclusions (I do it all the time).

I am very frustrated by the wages of CEOs. I do have mixed feelings, however. The CEO of a fortune 500 company is responsible for the livlihood of 50,000+ people on a day to day basis. I cannot even IMAGINE having that kind of responsiblity. In all honesty, I am not sure who would sign up to work 70-80 hour weeks with that kind of responsibility if they weren't paid well for it. Not that many people are that noble...

That being said, I do think something should be done about wages of upper management in corporations. I am a very strong advocate of personal responsibility...I really dislike the idea that the government is going to try and fix something that we as citizens should be capable of fixing ourselves. When I graduated from college I only looked for jobs in fortune 500 corporations. My dream is to one day be a manager in the upper levels of a corporation. I want to be in a position where I have a very high salary and give the majority of it to charity/employees/etc. Any raise I get over my initial salary out of college goes straight to charities. Honestly, one day I want to be able to say I do that while making several million dollars per year. That is how I personally want to attack the problem of executive compensation.
I forget her name but there was a woman in Congress who introduced a bill to limit the amount of CEO pay companies can write off as tax exempt. I can go back and try to find the thread where I brought it up. It wasn't legislation to limit CEO pay in essence but it was limiting the amount companies can write off. I hope that makes sense.

In any case, hearing that you want to donate the $$ to charity, that's not something I'd expect a bunch of CEOs to say. Of course then again you can write it off on your taxes but it's better than not doing it all.
I plan to one day be a member of the 50% League. It's basically a club where the people have given away half or more of their net worth, trust fund, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I didn't say I liked the violence. I am very much against the violence.
If someone calls me a nasty name, it doesn't really bother me. I've been called all sorts of name in my life so...I just see it as a part of life.

I support diversity.

You can always go visit your liberal friends. It's not like I'd advocate no Conservatives be allowed in. I just don't know if it would be the same way on the Conservative side. Seeing posts like, "Liberalism is a disease." "Liberals are the anti-christ." "Liberals are evil," etc doesn't really foster the ideas Liberals would be welcome in a land of Conservatives.

I forget her name but there was a woman in Congress who introduced a bill to limit the amount of CEO pay companies can write off as tax exempt. I can go back and try to find the thread where I brought it up. It wasn't legislation to limit CEO pay in essence but it was limiting the amount companies can write off. I hope that makes sense.

In any case, hearing that you want to donate the $$ to charity, that's not something I'd expect a bunch of CEOs to say. Of course then again you can write it off on your taxes but it's better than not doing it all.
I plan to one day be a member of the 50% League. It's basically a club where the people have given away half or more of their net worth, trust fund, etc.
Let me know if you can find either the congresswomen's name, or the bill #.

I am not sure why people get upset about tax writeoffs for charitable contributions. If a person gives $20,000 that year to charities and in the process doesn't pay taxes to medicare, in the end more people are getting help through the $20k than the lesser amount that would be taxed...right?

It frustrates me that news sources vilify anyone in corporations when a lot of corporate workers do a lot of good with their money.

I am sure you and I might never see exactly eye to eye on this issue, but I am glad we understand each other a little better because of this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies