Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times

Advertisements

From another NYC newspaper:

"On Tuesday, Mr. Obama released his Nuclear Posture Review. It does not go as far as it should, but it is an important down payment on a saner nuclear policy."

Editorial - Mr. Obama’s Nuclear Policy - NYTimes.com

And from The Atlantic:

Flanking the Right on Nuclear Policy - Politics - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Actually, it did have a significant impact in Vietnam, not in the sense that the outcome would have been different but certainly in the sense that, had the deterrent not been present, China or even the USSR might have rushed down that peninsula.
Why when the North ultimately was quite capable of "rushing" down the peninsula all by its lonesome. And of course, conversely speaking, the fact that both the Soviets and China had nukes sure as hell put the brakes on any rushing up the peninsula on our part.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,303,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why when the North ultimately was quite capable of "rushing" down the peninsula all by its lonesome. And of course, conversely speaking, the fact that both the Soviets and China had nukes sure as hell put the brakes on any rushing up the peninsula on our part.
I never said anything about our ideological enemies being the only ones that were deterred. We most certainly were deterred as well.
And the North was not capable of rushing down the peninsula until we had already drawn down. They tried many times and failed.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about our ideological enemies being the only ones that were deterred. We most certainly were deterred as well.
Which is why I pointed it out.

Quote:
And the North was not capable of rushing down the peninsula until we had already drawn down. They tried many times and failed.
Which of course had nothing to do with deterrence. As for Russia and China, the geographical challenges for Russia have already been made clear. As for China, the historic antipathy between Vietnam and China precluded China's expanded involvement long before there was any consideration regarding nukes.

Of course none of this has anything to do with any of the number of scenarios that currently face American policy.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,375 times
Quote:
How did the US get through China? Oh that's right, we landed in planes and ships.
The Chinese did in fact attack VietNam after we left.
LOL when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. "Rushing down the peninsula" was your term not mine. If you want to recant, I accept your apology.

Explain to me again how closely aligned the Vietnamese were with the Chinese? You can't have it both ways, either they would rush down the peninsula to their aid or rush down to fight against them. And how well did the Chinese do in that war?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
LOL when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. "Rushing down the peninsula" was your term not mine. If you want to recant, I accept your apology.
Why should I apologize to you, I wasn't addressing you in the first place.

Quote:
Explain to me again how closely aligned the Vietnamese were with the Chinese? You can't have it both ways, either they would rush down the peninsula to their aid or rush down to fight against them. And how well did the Chinese do in that war?
In 1958 would anyone have thought that in four short years we would be on the precipice of a third world war due to an island 90 miles away from Key West?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-07-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which is why I pointed it out.
Allow me to express my gratitude.

Quote:
Which of course had nothing to do with deterrence. As for Russia and China, the geographical challenges for Russia have already been made clear. As for China, the historic antipathy between Vietnam and China precluded China's expanded involvement long before there was any consideration regarding nukes.
But 7,000 miles across the largest ocean on the planet was a pond jump for us?
As far as China goes, there may have been antipathy before and after the war but the Chinese certainly tried to help the North during the war.

Quote:
Of course none of this has anything to do with any of the number of scenarios that currently face American policy.
Agreed.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM

[quote=Mr. Joshua;13636111]
Quote:

But 7,000 miles across the largest ocean on the planet was a pond jump for us?
I think that is far simpler to cross the ocean (I won't bring up anything about bases in the Philippines, Japan, Thailand, South Korea, or Okinawa for the moment) than for the Russians to cross the width of China in the 1960's.

But this is beating a dead horse into the ground and not doing much to further the thread topic.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Just an absolute disaster.

Naivete can cost lives - BostonHerald.com

Quote:
Not since the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which ended World War II, has the United States used a nuclear weapon. Yet the possibility of doing just that has always existed at least in theory - until yesterday when President Barack Obama took it off the table and in doing so made the world a more dangerous place.

But no president before has been so hopelessly naive as to telegraph to the nation’s enemies that their complete destruction is no longer an option.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,405,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is a facetious comment I believe, but it is one within bounds. The current administration and congress haven taken steps that are contrary to our Constitution, contrary to our governments intended design and process, and have displayed behavior that is inconsistent with the station to which it holds.

While the comment was flippant in its specific reference, I believe it was intended as a point to all that has occurred so far. If those protections are to be disregarded, then why would it be hard to believe the latter is possible? Do you see the point made?
It's hyperbole. I think we could all stand to dial back the rhetoric and talk about useful solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies