Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If there were a word to describe only blacks, or asians, and that was was derogatory, would you not say the term is racist?

Rednecks are only white people, right?

Is this one of those only whites can be racist things?

I consider "cracker" more of an insult.

Unless it's an animal cracker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
If there were a word to describe only blacks, or asians, and that was was derogatory, would you not say the term is racist?

To some people "redneck" is a state of mind and a way of life. But I think it's a nicer way to say "white trash". IMHO

Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
why isn't "redneck" considered a racist term
Oh gosh, that's an easy one.

It's a term used by dems/libs to describe conservatives, hence a pass.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 54,694 times
Have you ever seen rural blacks? Redneck is not limited to only white people. My Dad & my uncles love to go fishing, hunting, drive pick-up trucks with huge tires on them, and have southern accents. Guess that qualifies them to be "rednecks" too. I would never use the term redneck to describe my relatives or anyone else for that matter. We are just country people, nothing negative about that at all.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you consider working hard outdoors, and coming home with a "red neck" is a racist term, you've got other issues to worry about.

Thats where the term comes from. Farmers who worked hard, outside, all day, came home with red necks.

To most of us in the south, the term is connected to hard work, not stupidity.
I agree! There seems to be a lot of folks here on C-D who would be in a world of hurt if the American economy really did collapse and they had to actually work at making a living. However, it may explain why America is now where it is economically.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Because any race can be a redneck.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:

I always thought it was. Who says it's not? It's a just non-specific with regard to ethnicity.

The Irish have their slurs, Italian, Germans, Polish... etc.

Nobody's left out of being humiliated for having looks or being part of an ethnic group that they have no control over being a part of.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
I think it is a racist term. My white co-worker and I were talking about our supervisor. He's this and that. She says, bottomline, he's just an ole redneck hillbilly. My response...Oh.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Because the rednecks have actually tken to the term.Even within races terms are used to descibe such behavior with other terms .Some take the description as a put down and other seem to associated themselves with it;takig oit as kind of a rebel yell as they say.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:

Because "redneck" is not an immutable trait. Black people have no choice but to be black. Asian people have no choice but to be Asian. Being a redneck is a choice. Nobody has to be a redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies