Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's actually worse than that. We pay more in military costs than the next 50 countries COMBINED.
...and their books are a mess! Back in '01 the Pentagon could not account for $2 TRILLION! 9-11 put an end the audit and we went to war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
I don't think my income tax dollars should go for designer purses and shoes.
College students tend to be struggling so that tax credit is often utilize to assist them with educational expenses. By the way, I'm having a challenging time believing that anyone going to a JC actually received 4K back in taxes. Maybe they were due a refund for other reasons, I dunno. Why would they be telling YOU of all people about the size of their refund anyhow, especially considering how much contempt you seem to have for them for even receiving a tax refund. I am calling your bluff.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, it would need to be, roughly 20%. Thats if you leave SSI and medicare taxes alone as they are now.

If you take all taxes, and try to lump them into one tax, it'd be around 35% per person making above 40K a year.

That'd still be cheaper than I'm paying now, counting SS and Medicare.
I was thinking 18-20% including SSI and Medicare. I think that's doable considering many more people will be paying into the system. Maybe the gov will actually cut some of the fat

Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's actually worse than that. We pay more in military costs than the next 50 countries COMBINED.
We pay 9 times more than China, officially.

Of course, this is China we are talking about. The conservative estimate is 3 times more than China.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
This is the mentality that will destroy the United States of America. They have both graduated are working in minimum wage jobs.
Maybe they are working minimum wage jobs because there isn't many jobs available right now. I'm sure they are looking for better opportunities and it sounds as if the refund they received (if this is actually true) was well needed to help make ends meet.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM

214 posts, read 130,691 times
You can disbelieve if you want. I was at the family dinner where the happy recipients were bragging about thieir "refunds". You are calling my bluff? Good for you.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
In this economy they are not likely to get good paying jobs and they seem to be quite content making minimum wage.
Not too many folks are content earning minimum wages especially if they have graduated college. No one could support themselves really on minimum wages unless they are living at home with the parents.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
My friend's daughter and daughter-in-law received more than $4000 from the IRS. They paid nothing near that in taxes but the fact that they attended a junior college qualified them for "credits". I guess this is my wealth being redistributed. I can tell you that these two young women will not spend the money wisely.
No they are spending their future tax dollars. Just like you did when you went to school. When they Graduate they will make a larger income and pay more in taxes. It's an investment that the government makes. AS for you let me know when you've paid for that road that runs in front of you house.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Exactly. These two young women are not likely to ever be real taxpayers. One is 23 years old with 4 children and the other is 25 years old with a history of having multiple jobs from which she was fired.
And these are FRIENDS of yours? With friends such as you, who needs enemies?

Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
No they are spending their future tax dollars. Just like you did when you went to school. When they Graduate they will make a larger income and pay more in taxes. It's an investment that the government makes. AS for you let me know when you've paid for that road that runs in front of you house.
The OP claims that they are already working, and making enough to get a 4000 dollar tax return.

They are 25 and 26, have 7 kids between them, and still have enough time to work, and go to school.

I personally don't know anyone making less than 60,000 a year, who got a 4000 dollar tax refund. But, maybe thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies