Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,685,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeledaf, I was just thinking I hadnt seen you post for a while, now I know why............you have been busy reading the Stranger. I actually have experience in this area having owned 3 Pitbulls for more than 14 years.......best dogs i have ever owned and I would never own another. The very best defense against a Pit bull is Gun! But if you are truly barehanded and attacked, grab the dogs bottom jaw and pry it down towards his chest.
I have had some issues with pit bulls turned feral. Not pleasant critters, and a HEAVY caliber firearm is prescribed. One such animal we had to deal with could very easily have seriously hurt or killed a large man. I have to thank () all those city dicks who think that dumping your unwanted dogs in the country is an acceptable way to get rid of them when you can't handle them anymore.. Yea, thanks a lot. The ferals are easier to take , when I think about it, than the ones who wander in, begging for help and human contact, because their former owners betrayed their trust and need, and we have to call the sherrif to come and take them to the county shelter. Yea, my 'gratitude' for the people who do this to us and these dogs is sooooo deep I can't stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,948,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
My wife and I adopt our dogs, and we have no problem taking in the "aggressive" ones. We adopted our first pit bull a few years ago to keep our German Shepherd company. The next one we get will probably be a Rottweiler.

At one time in history, both GSD's and Rottweilers were condemned and vilified by the media of the day. Never mind the true traits of the dog, all that matters is the media circus.

All dogs require a responsible owner, and the larger dogs require even more attention. It's one of the things we accept as the owners of large dogs.

Our pit is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever had. He's wonderful, and we will certainly adopt a few more. He's also kooky and crazy, and an absolute blast to watch. He and the German Shepherd have tons of fun playing in the yard and house. Did you know the first decorated dog of World War I was a pit bull? They were total family dogs, and still are.

Look at that vicious killer dog--

Oh no! He's ready to snap and kill -

Absolutely terrifying -

Ready to pounce!

Understanding the breed -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

Myths -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.html

Pros & cons of owning a pit bull -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.html

Of course, no evidence more completely refutes the idea that pit bulls are inherently wrong than the rehabilitation of the Michael Vick dogs. Abused, tortured, and subjected to cruelty most of us cannot even imagine, the courts were set to order them killed.

Animal shelters across the country stepped in, most notably Best Friends in Utah, and the results have been astounding. These beaten, scarred, vicious dogs? Turns out they really are as sweet as any other dog, they just need therapy and healing.

Can the Michael Vick dogs be saved? At Best Friends, the answer is yes | Dog Time - The Michael Vick dogs at Best Friends

http://www.bestfriends.org/vickdogs/

Evaluating the Rescued Michael Vick Pit Bull Dogs
cute pictures, although that pit bull is clearly fantasizing about chihuahua snausages in that one picture.

there are nice people out there, but we have to acknowledge that there are sick twisted b******s like vick out there as well. i think banning the breed protects those dogs from the potential abusers.

maybe if we can teach the next generation to be "kind", we could revisit the issue then, but in the meantime how many people and animals have to die before we acknowledge that this is a problem?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,456,097 times
I would be all in favor of requiring a license to own a pit bull, or some other breeds. I think it would solve a lot of problems.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I would be all in favor of requiring a license to own a pit bull, or some other breeds. I think it would solve a lot of problems.
I don't think specific breeds need be singled out. The worst examples of killer ferals I have come across were mixed breeds. Nondescript mutts with a taste for blood. Dogs of any breed, raised from pups to be true pets, can still go bad on you. But, it's not really a result of them being a specific breed of dog, IMHO>

Old 05-02-2010, 01:11 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,456,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't think specific breeds need be singled out. The worst examples of killer ferals I have come across were mixed breeds. Nondescript mutts with a taste for blood. Dogs of any breed, raised from pups to be true pets, can still go bad on you. But, it's not really a result of them being a specific breed of dog, IMHO>

But then you get in to which breed, etc.

Since pit bulls are where the current media hysteria and hypocrisy lie, might as well just say them.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,915,768 times
you can always beat it to death with your stumps

Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And my best friends brother was put in the hospital due to a Golden Retriever attacking him. He had reconstructive shoulder surgery and had to stop playing baseball which meant he lost his scholarships.

Difference is that among golden retrievers, maulings are microscopically low.
And I don't know the circumstances of your friend's brother's attack, but there's just no getting around the fact that there are dog breeds you can almost not train to attack, period.
All dogs can bite to defend themselves. Few dogs chase you down and outright maul you as part of their breeding and nature.

That being said, people should keep in mind that any dog you don't know is a dangerous dog till proven otherwise. In our ED, dog bites are most prevalently seen by small dogs (usually scared or upset by their own owner) or pit bulls and chows. Lots of chows/chow mixes.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
But then you get in to which breed, etc.

Since pit bulls are where the current media hysteria and hypocrisy lie, might as well just say them.
Yea, and then it snowballs from there. I had to change homeowners insurance because my former underwriter said my Shepard mix was a 'vicious breed' as was my wifes Norwegian Elk Hound. It is not limited to Pits. Yet nobody blames the owner, just the dog.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yea, and then it snowballs from there. I had to change homeowners insurance because my former underwriter said my Shepard mix was a 'vicious breed' as was my wifes Norwegian Elk Hound. It is not limited to Pits. Yet nobody blames the owner, just the dog.
Right, it's not the gun, it's the people. And the fact that they're toting an Uzi in public shouldn't make any difference....

Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Right, it's not the gun, it's the people. And the fact that they're toting an Uzi in public shouldn't make any difference....
Ummm OK. "Toting an Uzi in public" you say? That correlates to raising a dog in a specific environment that turns it mean? And it's the dogs fault? You may well roll your eyes, because you are making 0 sense. At any rate the topic here is not an inanimate mechanical device with no mind of it's own. We are talking about living breathing animals, with personalities and individual traits. So troll elsewhere with your sarcastic nonsense.... take two they are small
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies