Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 PM

139 posts, read 254,740 times

Advertisements

I once saw a guy put a charging doberman in a headlock until it pooped on itself. That dog was pretty shy after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
cute pictures, although that pit bull is clearly fantasizing about chihuahua snausages in that one picture.

there are nice people out there, but we have to acknowledge that there are sick twisted b******s like vick out there as well. i think banning the breed protects those dogs from the potential abusers.

maybe if we can teach the next generation to be "kind", we could revisit the issue then, but in the meantime how many people and animals have to die before we acknowledge that this is a problem?
Except that does nothing to prevent the abusers from moving on to another, more easily accessible dog. If they can't get pits, they'll turn to rotts or shepherds or something else. Or the fact that the dog is banned will make it more "bad ass" than when it was legal, and it won't matter.

If there are 100 dog fighters/abusers/idiots in a given city, there will be 100 abused/fought dogs. Banning pits will just change the breed of the abused.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Pitbull? you make the call.
Attachment 62228
Rott, correct?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Owners of Pit Bulls, please see to it that your dogs, are kept lock up safe and secure.
Meanwhile, owners of all other breeds, simply allow your dogs to run free and do as they please...

Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Except that does nothing to prevent the abusers from moving on to another, more easily accessible dog. If they can't get pits, they'll turn to rotts or shepherds or something else. Or the fact that the dog is banned will make it more "bad ass" than when it was legal, and it won't matter.

If there are 100 dog fighters/abusers/idiots in a given city, there will be 100 abused/fought dogs. Banning pits will just change the breed of the abused.
it might and it might not, but we never had this kind of problem before the introduction of the pit bulls, and we have an oversupply of pit bulls as it is. go to any animal shelter and most of the dogs you see anymore are pit bulls and most of them are going to be put down.

it is a sad life for a lot of those dogs. you have to start fixing the problem somewhere.

do i think that we also need some classes starting in preschool/kindergarden on just basic decency? yes, that too.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it might and it might not, but we never had this kind of problem before the introduction of the pit bulls, and we have an oversupply of pit bulls as it is. go to any animal shelter and most of the dogs you see anymore are pit bulls and most of them are going to be put down.

it is a sad life for a lot of those dogs. you have to start fixing the problem somewhere.

do i think that we also need some classes starting in preschool/kindergarden on just basic decency? yes, that too.
Where'd you get that stat from? When was the "introduction of pitbulls"?

And yeah, shelters are overrun with pits because of a few reasons...

1) The owners are morons who don't know how to take care of a dog, so they get taken away or dumped. Idiots get the dogs because they enhance their tough guy image, not because they want a dog to love and take care of.
2) In many areas, they're banned, so as soon as one is "identified" (as best you can ID a pit) it is immediately put in the shelter. If every lab that was seen was put in the shelter, shelters would be overrun with labs!
3) It is very difficult to find a place to rent with a pit. I live in a very transient area, so I see allllll the time people come into the shelter desperate to find a place where they can rent with a "dangerous breed". Even home owners struggle to get insurance, and in this economy they just can't afford it.

It's just sad all around

Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I agree with those saying breeds like that should simply be left to die out. No more breeding.
I find those remarks saying it is the owners' fault not really relevant as they don't change a thing about the fact those dogs are a danger.

I wonder why some people feel the need to have such dogs which 99% of the population are scared of. Especially in a country where most people have guns to defend themselves anyway. Why not have a dog of a breed that is statistically friendly. And simply smaller and less powerful so that people are not afraid of it.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
I actually had the "pleasure" of warding off a pit bull attack just over a year ago. A straight shot right to the nose (just below the eyes) makes it think twice. Got to punch straight and hard, the dog's forward momentum in attacking you will help make the punch harder if you time it right.

A single well placed shot does the trick, at least with a single dog. You have to be willing to really hurt it, any hesitancy or reticence is a substantial problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree with those saying breeds like that should simply be left to die out. No more breeding.
I find those remarks saying it is the owners' fault not really relevant as they don't change a thing about the fact those dogs are a danger.

I wonder why some people feel the need to have such dogs which 99% of the population are scared of. Especially in a country where most people have guns to defend themselves anyway. Why not have a dog of a breed that is statistically friendly. And simply smaller and less powerful so that people are not afraid of it.
Well, we found our pit bull sick, emaciated and about to be euthenized in the county shelter. I guess I should have just passed on her because she was a pit and she was 'ugly', like all the other people before me had done. Maybe I should have adopted a 'pretty' dog that will make everyone say 'awwww' at the very sight of it.

Of course, that 'ugly' dog has been one of the best dogs I've EVER had the pleasure to have as a companion. Just like I don't judge friends on what they look like, I don't judge a dog on it's breed.

ALL dogs are a danger. Every single one of them. They are predators, you know...even cute little Corgis. A lot of dogs share the characteristics of pit bulls, so everything gets blamed on them. Hell, my parents old chocolate lab (which was purebred) got mistaken by a pit bull on more than one occasion.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I just hope that i never come face to face with a stray pit bull, that would not only ruin my day, but scare the crap right out of me! literally, i am scared to death of pit bulls, specially ones who roam free, and the owners, are not responsible pet owners, to let this happen. Would a stun gun affect the dog in any way at all. Owners of Pit Bulls, please see to it that your dogs, are kept lock up safe and secure.
My first encounter with a pit bull was one that belonged to my neighbors. One hot summer day "lemon ball" waltzed thru my open back door and hung out with us in the living room. We fed him some of those sour lemon heads thus named him lemon ball. He came to visit quite often. Probably 18 yrs. later I rescued a little pit puppy. then I bought a house from a person who abandoned their pit there so I took him in, actually he is a staffordshire, then my son brought home another pit pup. The vicious killers and I all live happily together with a border collie, 3 cats, six goat, a donkey, turkeys, chickens, and guineas, oh my.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies