Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What would the research need to prove? That a person who is one thing, but thinks they are another has mental issues? I think this diagnoses is pretty self evident.
Nothing but an assumption on your part and thus of no merit, unless you can claim to have some expertise in this area. If not, you need to support your claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
O.K. in the article it's said that the category "M or F" is fraught with a lot of anxiety for people with a gender issue. And that one person claims "I'm a woman". Well, you're really not a woman, or a female by the strictest definition. Genetic. You can hope against all hope that you're an airplane and convince yourself you can fly, but at the end of the day, everyone knows you're not an airplane, so why fight your genetics?
Agreed, Gender is based solely on physical characteristics you are born with.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Now just to be clear, Transgendered is different then Hermaphodites.

Hermaphadites actually have the physical characteristics of both sexes between their legs. I would assume you would be more understanding of their gender identity issues?

I was referring to people that are so confused in their mind with mental illness they need serious mental health care. As for hermaphadites, if they have any confusion, it would be normal and natural under those circumstances and not a mental illness.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Agreed, Gender is based solely on physical characteristics you are born with.
That's the definition of sex, not gender:
"Sex refers to biological status as male or female. It includes physical attributes such as sex chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, internal reproductive structures, and external genitalia. Gender is a term that is often used to refer to ways that people act, interact, or feel about themselves, which are associated with boys/men and girls/women. While aspects of biological sex are the same across different cultures, aspects of gender may not be."
Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity

Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
It's pretty common sense based, I don't know why some are insisting for an advanced degree on common sense.

If it takes far more energy to present yourself as something you're not, then you're fighting something natural, going against nature. If you're conflicted then you need a shrink. I don't care how badly you want to fly, you're never going to be a real bird. You don't have wings, or a beak or feathers so why go out of your way to create it? Everyone is limited by the constraints of their physical appearance in the absence of plastic surgery and help from science. Why fight it? Doesn't it take more effort to keep up a masquerade, and put on that public face for the world so you have the appearance of being something you're not?

That's where the inner conflict comes from, balancing between something you're not, and something you so strongly desire.

It's playing mental hopscotch.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM

948 posts, read 894,299 times
If they want to be heard they should inject more testosterone/estrogen.

OHHH I am so baaaad!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I was referring to people that are so confused in their mind with mental illness they need serious mental health care. As for hermaphadites, if they have any confusion, it would be normal and natural under those circumstances and not a mental illness.
Exactly.. Hermaphrodites have a legitimate reason to be confused. But someone who is born one sex, and who wished to be the other sex, and uses drugs/surgery, has some serious mental problems. My question, is why does the medical industry enable these people rather than treat the mental problems?

If you constantly go in for plastic surgery, a ethical doctor would refer you to a psychologist to see if you have body dismorophic.

Someone willing to cut off their genitalia because she want to be something they were not born as, have serious mental issues.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's pretty common sense based, I don't know why some are insisting for an advanced degree on common sense.

If it takes far more energy to present yourself as something you're not, then you're fighting something natural, going against nature. If you're conflicted then you need a shrink. I don't care how badly you want to fly, you're never going to be a real bird. You don't have wings, or a beak or feathers so why go out of your way to create it? Everyone is limited by the constraints of their physical appearance in the absence of plastic surgery and help from science. Why fight it? Doesn't it take more effort to keep up a masquerade, and put on that public face for the world so you have the appearance of being something you're not?

That's where the inner conflict comes from, balancing between something you're not, and something you so strongly desire.

It's playing mental hopscotch.
Well stated.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I love all of the negative comments from people who probably have never known anyone who is transgender. It's so easy to be smug and negatively judge people, isn't it?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Psychiatrists and mental health profession are mostly a scam. This documentary proves it.

YouTube - MARKETING OF MADNESS (18/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
He needs to be heard by psychiatrists, a whole horde of them. It is a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies