Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

Boy do I agree with this thought! "How rich people can stop whining about the deficit and start paying their taxes. "

10 Ways to Force the Stinking Rich to Share Their Wealth | Economy | AlterNet

Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
they lost me on the very first sentence: "the us budget is not in crisis".... HA!

here are some statistics to consider:

We added more Federal debt than had been accumulated in 217 YEARS in just a little over THREE years - from 2007 to the third month 2010.

The ugly is that this debt load (currently $12.8 trillion, more or less) presents interest expense. If the Fed Funds Target was to reach just five percent, and every bit of the Treasury debt was to be refinanced into overnight obligations at that same 5%, the interest expense alone of the current debt would be $640 billion a year.

If the Treasury was to have to pay a roughly 6% average coupon (reasonably aggressive with a 5% Fed Funds Target) the interest expense would be $768 billion annually.

To put this in perspective that is an amount roughly equivalent to that spent on defense, and is higher than Social Security, Medicare, or all other "mandatory" program spending combined.

It would consume nearly all of Social Security and Medicare tax receipts ($891 billion) or the personal income tax ($915 billion) (ed. All 2009 federal budget numbers)

It is also four times what we spent last year on interest. (denninger)

i don't care who you think you can tax- there is no way we can keep up with this spending.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
Why do you think your entitled to someone else's money? Do you think michael jordan owes you $20? Why dont you focus on your own financing and then you wont need other peoples money?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Why do you think your entitled to someone else's money? Do you think michael jordan owes you $20? Why dont you focus on your own financing and then you wont need other peoples money?

busta

Old 04-15-2010, 06:04 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
Well said!! I am SOOOOOO sick of all the losers who sit here and complain that everyone else has all the money and whine that somehow they are entitled to chunks of it for themselves. Please people, SHUT UP! Do you even realize how pathetic you sound? Do you even realize how embarrassed you should be of your own words and the complete and utter lack of dignity that they display? You people want some money? Quit trying to find ways to take others peoples money, grow up, get off the couch and get out there and EARN SOME for yourself!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I worry about ME. Goldman Sachs CEO can worry about himself. I don't care how much he makes and I don't care how much he pays in taxes.

Life is too short to be so envious of what other people have.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Horse pucky. The road to recovery will not be paved with higher taxes -- not for the rich, middle class nor poor.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy do I agree with this thought! "How rich people can stop whining about the deficit and start paying their taxes. "

10 Ways to Force the Stinking Rich to Share Their Wealth | Economy | AlterNet
A question for you:
Which quintile pays the most taxes in this country and which one pays none or the least?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
I agree with 1, 2 & 10 only.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
A lot of individualism bootstrap bravado coming from the dispossessed in this thread....You know, siding with the wealth-siphoners simply because you aspire to be one will not make you one. Optimism-bias runs rampant in America.

The premise of the first sentence is a paradoxical inject. Nobody is seriously suggesting ramping up spending is gonna solve our problem. The point made is that if we're on such a road to hell, how come the upper crust is making out like bandits off the very system supposedly going to hell for everybody? Answer, the world is going to hell for you, not for them. You'd see that if y'all weren't spring-loaded to seeing red at the generic premise of having to take care of the unproductive amongst you, when it is merely the opportunity cost for having the law and order that allows you to live the American day-to-day "walk to mcdonalds, meet your friends at the movies, log on to your online anything, go to bed and the power still on tomorrow, watch 18yo kids die for you in Afghanistan thru an LCD and it feels like watching a movie" you so take for granted. Stop being so myopic. This whole "earn your own dime maaaan" might sound cute and self-righteous but it's disconnected from reality. It's not about physically earning a dime, it's about civil order, it's bigger than you and your paycheck, IF you value the life of the unproductive amongst you as equal to your own that is (yeah, stare at that mirror).

Life's not fair, humans are not equally productive, material affluence is NOT a moral quantifier (ergo poverty isn't either). Either publicly state you approve of death and hunger in the street for the unproductive or quit the internet outrage and S.T.F.U and pay your taxes. Actually, stop defending your lords and demand they pay their taxes, since they're the ones most effectively circumventing it. Stop daydreaming about becoming one of them at the expense of your less aggressive neighbor.

I like the Chris Rock mantra. You know: "when ya make 30 million, and yo wife want half? No probl'm ....u ain't starvin'.... but when you make 30 THOUSAND....and you wife want FIFTEEN?! You might have to KILL 'A!!! " If I toil and make 250K/yr (remember, the physical exhaustion(y)/labor return(x) curve is NOT linear, it's logarithmic with a positive mathematical limit on y-axis) and society wants to tax me 50%, I ain't starving, I'm still a boatload of sigmas above the median individual income, thence I still live in comfort for my troubles. It's the cat within one sigma of the median income that feels the pinch of taxation...Put simply, these statistical outliers ain't hurting, and if you were one or at least had the ability to empathize (FAIL in this thread) you'd see that.

I say heck yeah for 1 thru 10. Stop drinking the kool-aid. Remind yourself about the theory of marginal utility. The closer your lower-tier maslow needs are to your last dollar the more screwed you are with taxation. These cats in question have their last dollar buried so deep in the cayman islands, even their blow and eastern european hooker habit (higher end needs eh? ) don't come close to them. Unfair/inequitable/uncomfortable as it may seem to not get to buy your toys with the money you "earned" might be, I'd take my ability to wake up and walk outside my dwelling and not find Cali Colombia in every street of this country as a righteous opportunity cost to validating some well-to-do aggressive from having the ability of splurging on his third toy and vacation home. This country needs a labor party like a fat guy needs Gold Bond going up a hill in a Louisiana summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies