Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The really sad part is that some of these Tea Partiers have a lower tax burden under Obama than they did under Bush.

They don't even know that they are protesting against their own intrests.
They are really misstating the case - it's not about tax at all. Commerce and government have other options than taxing for deficit spending.
Inflationary costs and the cost of borrowing is where most of the government spending will eventually show up. Costs trickle down - prices rise.
Cost of borrowing goes up - interest rates go up.
or you can simply belay taxes and leave it up to the next administration to raise them.

It's a harder economic model for people to invision, so I guess they keep it simple. It's easier to put "no more raising taxes" on a sign, than "no more macro-economic deficit spending resulting in inflationary market pulls".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Relativity between two arguments to try and discredit both is a fallacy.

Reduction in government spending, and subsequent reduction in required taxation is an entire different discussion than current trends and who is responsible for the whole tax bill.

A group of 8 year olds standing around a lemonade stand could grasp the difference. Whats your excuse?
Do you believe that half of Americans should pay more in taxes. Yes or no?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Many tea party members have stated taht 47% of Americans don't pay enough in taxes. Please tell me this is not news to you. You really need to inform yourself.
If it's news than I am again waiting for the official teaparty platform on this - Still waiting for the link.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Tea Party = lower the taxes for us, raise it for those people. So they really are motivated by self interests. It's all about them.
I think it might help if you understood what is being said by the Tea Party? They want lower taxes, yes, but they do not think some should not pay period. If more paid taxes, we would all benefit with lower overall taxes. What is so hard to understand about this?

Nita

Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If it's news than I am again waiting for the official teaparty platform on this - Still waiting for the link.
According to many tea party "members" the tea party is not an official party, and has no official leaders and members. They have repeatedly stated that it is a "movement" How can a non party have a platform? Do you dispute that influential people as well as rank and file people within the tea party movement have made the assertion that half of Americans pay no taxes?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
You can't possibly expect any logical reasoning from a bunch of rednecks.
Guess you haven't read the latest studies on the profile of the average Tea Party actavist: Middle age or older, middle income of higher and above average educated..Most with degrees. Now, is that the same definition you give to Rednecks? If so, yes, I guess they are rednecks..

Nita

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Tea Party = lower the taxes for us, raise it for those people. So they really are motivated by self interests. It's all about them.
The left = taxes are good and patriotic, but don't tax those people.

The argument is too simplistic for the real issue.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:
At the very least it shows that they their issue is not idealogical, which they claim it is. They are not against the idea of higher taxes, they are against higher taxes for them, but have no problem with half of the US paying higher taxes, as long as it's not them. Very dishonest if you ask me. If that's what you believe it just say it. Raise taxes on half of Americans, and lower mine!!
This is almost so illogical, I may have lost intelligence trying to comprehend it.

Lets use an anology to try and make sense of your post.

A group of 8 people go out to lunch. The restaurant selected is on the high price side. When the bill of 200 dollars comes due, 4 of the 8 people say "I dont have enough money to chip in my portion of the bill, the richest people should pick it up". Two of the people say "I can chip in, but only for my portion, and the richest can pay for those other 4 people that didn't pay". The last two people, the most wealthy at the table say "Argh, fine, we will pay the balance".

A few weeks later, the same 8 people make a decision to go out to lunch. 4 of the 4 people (who actually pay the bill) say "Hey, this time, lets go to a cheaper place, then everybody should be able to contribute to the bill, and we won't get stuck with the whole expensive thing".

So in your ridiculous points above. The people that actually paid for their portion of the bill, AND those that pick up the freeloaders portion are ridiculous because:

1. they are upset about people who go to a nice dinner and EXPECT that they pick up the tab.

2. they are selfish because they desire to go to a cheaper place, and expect that those people who don't have as much money can pay for their own meal.

Spoken like a real freeloader.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Many tea party members have stated taht 47% of Americans don't pay enough in taxes. Please tell me this is not news to you. You really need to inform yourself.

Don't pay ANY income tax.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Do you believe that half of Americans should pay more in taxes. Yes or no?
Absolutely, and at the same time government should reduce spending.

Crazy concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies