Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times

Advertisements

I would. Free speech. Make it taboo to be used by anyone, sure, but don't actually ban it. This isn't a fascist state.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
In nearly 40 years I have only met one White person who used the word, and I think he thought he was being funny and shocking. No one else thought it was funny. He was corrected.

I just see it as a pointless word that has the potential to be very insulting so why would anyone (White, especially) use it unless they had a social personality defect or were very poorly socialized by racist parents?

On the other hand, I find it ridiculous that when used in a hypothetical context that people feel compelled to say, "n-word". Like in a courtroom where a witness might say, "And then the man called other man an n-word."

Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't want the ability to use the N word. I would have no problem with banning it altogether, even by rap artists.
I don't think opening Pandora's box is a good idea.

What word would be next, liberal, conservative? I see a great amount of hate thrown at both sides with those words.

Yankee, Rebel, many are "offended" by those words. Should they be banned?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
On the other hand, I find it ridiculous that when used in a hypothetical context that people feel compelled to say, "n-word". Like in a courtroom where a witness might say, "And then the man called other man an n-word."
I completely agree. It sounds so third-grade. Even in high school and college when reading a text that was written with those words (Huck Finn comes to mind), almost nobody ever said "******."

Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
I don't know. Some of my black friends actually mock ME because I hate that word so much. LOL.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
The whites that want to use the word do already, they are racists, plain and simple. The vast majority of white people have no desire or need to use the would, why would they.
Why is this an issue
Casper

Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand.
for the sake of racial equality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Notice where he is from Typical racist white southerner.
As a typical white southerner, I get desensitized to being called a "racist", after a while.

So that probably explains why I use that word without shame: because it's fair, my conscience is clear, and I don't care what you think.

Last edited by le roi; 07-27-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )

There are no laws that dictate you cannot say ****** now

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,670 times
Quote:

Thanks, my white peeps )
I honestly don't want to be able to say it, but I do find a double standard to be offensive.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,461,661 times
First of all, i ain't your whtie people! and i personally here in 2011 know not one person who wants to or has used this word. Maybe you know people who do, i do not. You seem obessed with this word.

And to tell you the truth, the only people i know who do use the word, are my very good black friends kidding and fooling around with each other, no one else.

Why don't we come down hard on all people who make fun and say hurtufl words, many besides White's you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies