Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times

Advertisements

Aren't all people entitled to "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness?"

That's what every person in this nation better realize. You don't have to agree with homosexuality, you don't even have to like it, but it is your responsibility as an American and hopefully (arguably) as a decent human being to respect the rights of all citizens - TO LIVE THEIR LIFE AS THEY SEE FIT- not as you see it fit for them.

When one group of citizens are denied rights, then what stops another group from being denied the same set of rights in the future?

I'll use voting as my example. We can all agree that the right to vote is undeniable. Well African-Americans couldn't vote (per se) until the 1870's-then we have the Jim Crow laws. Then women were denied the right to vote until 1920. Two totally separate groups of humans denied the same thing. Both considered minorities by the white men. It wouldn't be until 1967 and the Voting Rights and Civil Rights Acts that every citizens regardless of race, creed, sex, orientation would be guaranteed the right to vote.

So hopefully one day, ALL citizens will be treated equally. So whenever rights are denied or curtailed it is our duty and responsibility to stand up and shout "Injustice!".

Shutting up is never an option. Unless you're the religious right who since basically day one have set out to deny anyone not themselves rights, and have even hijacked the political process to do so. But whom I am to deny them their rights?

This nation, like life, is a two way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You know whats funny,

I have heard these exact same things said before. Just put in the "N" word, aka derogatory term often associated with African Americans.

My dad told me, he used to hear the same things to. Back in the early 60's, before integration took effect, and during its enactment.

I hope my son grows up in a world that accepts people for who they are. Maybe one day, He'll be able to tell his children about the hatred of homosexuals, so they can appreciate a world where that kind of hatred is marginalized, because it'll never completely go away, just like racism hasn't ever gone completely away.

Nobody in my family ever used the 'N' word . My granddaddy was born in the mid 1800's and he was fighting for freedom then and you can bet it wasn't popular then . Not this new special rights they call it now but ' equal ' rights .

Bad example. Desire is not the same as being born different or in a different culture .

Some disires are healthy, others ae not
A few people have the disire to kill ,some are turned on by un-natural things , very few homosexuals are born that way .999% . Either way most don't push their ways on others . it's called ' freedom of association ' something most can't get . I don't care who you assiciate with, and it's not your place to push your asociation on me in public places I help finance ,like school .

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
This is not a homosexuality issue. It is a legal issue, plain and simple. I have seen this problem happen in many cases dealing with all types of relation, non-immediate family with power of attorney,non-related with power of attorney, etc...

This is a legal issue (or a failure to recognize legal right), not a homosexual one.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is not a homosexuality issue. It is a legal issue, plain and simple. I have seen this problem happen in many cases dealing with all types of relation, non-immediate family with power of attorney,non-related with power of attorney, etc...

This is a legal issue (or a failure to recognize legal right), not a homosexual one.
This is very true. It is plain and simple the denial of certain rights to one group of people.

We have to ask ourselves as a nation, why? Why do we do it?

If rights were guaranteed and granted to everyone equally without due separation, then the issue of homosexuality, or African American or Women would never be an issue.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this is a free country where we are all equal. there is no reason a gay person should have to pretend to be straight just because there are people who are bothered by homosexuality. the objections in this thread, despite trying to say otherwise is based on bigoted thinking mostly promoted by religion. I would remind the folks who object, who bring up the "sexual" things that gays might do to one another, are the same things straight people do in the bedroom. yes, you are homophobic

Some crevices are meant for exit only .

Besides we'r not talking about private bedrooms. Or I'm not, i'm talking aout agendas and mainly schools .

Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
This is very true. It is plain and simple the denial of certain rights to one group of people.

We have to ask ourselves as a nation, why? Why do we do it?

If rights were guaranteed and granted to everyone equally without due separation, then the issue of homosexuality, or African American or Women would never be an issue.

Rights come responsibilities . Do you have the right to take from others ? Should you have the right of association ? Should women be allowed in mens clubs or vice versa ?

Should your agendas influance other peoples children ?

Why is it that most of you liberals claim that if our children are not exposed to your lifestyles they will be bigot, yet in the next word turn around and claim that you can';t influance a child to be a homosexual . Don't you people hate the KKK and other vile groups for ' influancing their young to hate ? So why is it ok to influance our young to un-natural lifestyles ?

Too heavy for you ,huh ?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
stop trying to sugar coat it, yes you do have a problem with "homos" if you have a problem with the "agenda" at least you should be truthful with yourself

And you have a problem with morals and straight people who don't agree with you so guess that wrks two ways .

Ic always shorten words ,no insuklt meant to homos . Like I shorten gov. and other long words, I don't type well .

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Some crevices are meant for exit only .
lets say that is true it does not stop straight people from using it as an entrance. it is just sexuality for many people. (you could also say a vagina was meant as an exit as a baby comes out not back in.)

Besides we'r not talking about private bedrooms. Or I'm not, i'm talking aout agendas and mainly schools .
does the gay man walking down the street that have an agenda or is he just walking down the street? or does it take 2 gays walking together before it becomes an agenda? the schools are not teaching gay sex in school, if anything they are teaching sexual education and SAFE sex which will save lives. it is up to us as parents if we do not like what our children see or hear in the world to talk about it to them and explain our values.

lots of things in life do not suit us personally but it doesn't mean we get to tell people to go away or act differently than who they are.

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wait...what??

I've never heard any of those things and I've been to some pretty crazy Pride parades in my day....
That's because there isn't one single 'fact' in that whole load of garbage! (And he got it wrong about the "sex before eight" claim, too - that was actually the René Guyon Society, a heterosexual group!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
And you have a problem with morals and straight people who don't agree with you so guess that wrks two ways .

Ic always shorten words ,no insuklt meant to homos . Like I shorten gov. and other long words, I don't type well .

why do you think I have trouble with morals? I would love an answer to that.
I have no problem with people who think differently than I do. this is a forum where the opposing view point is welcomes. I would be the last person to gripe about misspelling something as I do it all the time. so if the term homo was a shortened word and not meant as a insult I will accept that as your word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies