Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Good for them that they stand up to these crazy extremists. I'll watch the episode tonight. I'm sure its going to be hilarious. Islam needs to get out of the 15th century.
Yeah, but if they get beheaded, they won't be able to make new episodes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Although I am no fan of Islam or Mohammad, I do find it disrespectful to poke fun at someone else's religious beliefs. I don't think their lives should be threatened over being tasteless and something needs to be done about these extremists organizations.
I agree with you to a point!!!!!!!! I also am no fan of any Islam or Mohammad period. I do find it tasteless to poke fun at somene else's religious beliefs, at a sole expense for the purpose of a show and ratings. However if we have a problem with this, then where do comics come in, where do we draw the line with what they say, and believe me, everyting and everybody, is game.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
I think the point was to make fun of censorship, and extremists of any religion. The joke was that no one was allowed to see Mohammed, not what he taught.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Boy, and I thought Islam was supposed to be a peaceful religion. Come on, it's South Park for cryin' out loud! Anything they do should be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, it's downright hilarious at times! They poke fun at Christianity too(I'm Christian), and I don't get all radical like wanting to behead someone for stupid s***! Lighten up, and take a joke.

Muslims have no sense of humor. In fact, there is no word in the Arabic language that translates as "fun".

Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think the point was to make fun of censorship, and extremists of any religion. The joke was that no one was allowed to see Mohammed, not what he taught.
I agree. They showed Buddha snorting cocaine, and that made it past the censors. Yet they weren't allowed to show Muhammad at all. They were making fun of how arbitrary censorship can be.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Did they not make fun of Islam before? I'm not a committed viewer to the show (although I do think it's funny), so I wouldn't know.
Yes. In the original, I remember I saw it before reading about it, the final scene was where they were going to show Mohammed. Instead, there was a big "CENSORED" block over the scene. I laughed and thought it was part of the show.

I read later that they actually were going to show something in that final scene, and it was the NETWORK that actually DID CENSOR IT! South Park's creators couldn't have planned a better, more ironic ending.

I really like this show.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

Maddona can masterbait in PlayBoy Mgazine with a crucifix, others can make draw a picture of christ with feces and nothing is done, but these people will more than likely be sued or worse .

I don't agree with any of it or consider it free speeech , but I also don't agree with radicals of any kind .

Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Yes. In the original, I remember I saw it before reading about it, the final scene was where they were going to show Mohammed. Instead, there was a big "CENSORED" block over the scene. I laughed and thought it was part of the show.

I read later that they actually were going to show something in that final scene, and it was the NETWORK that actually DID CENSOR IT! South Park's creators couldn't have planned a better, more ironic ending.

I really like this show.
I heard a recent interview with Trey Parker and Matt Stone and they were talking about how it was funny that particular episode got censored after the Danish cartoon controversy---while they had already shown Mohammad in an episode before. It was an episode where Mohamed was in a superhero league with Buddha, Jesus, and Moses--I think it aired back in 2001.

I love South Park...Even though they intentionally go a little too far, their prime target is hypocrisy, whether it's Muslims, Catholics, Scientology, Evangelical Christians, Republicans or Liberals. Sometimes broad satire can be the most effective form of commentary. One of my favorite episodes was one that they made fun of bourgeois San Francisco liberals---and I'm fairly liberal myself.

Oh, and interestingly enough--this Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee character who made the statement attacking the show---his revolutionmuslim.com website is currently down and the phone number listed for the group is out of service now...

Last edited by Deezus; 04-20-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yeah. A JOKE. Thats what Muslims need to get over. How many jokes are there about the Buddha? Jesus Christ? Hindu Gods? Yet does anyone hear of Christians, Hindus, or Buddhists freaking out?

I don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I agree. They showed Buddha snorting cocaine, and that made it past the censors. Yet they weren't allowed to show Muhammad at all. They were making fun of how arbitrary censorship can be.
Exactly. In fact, if they were really daring perhaps they should depict what Muhammed really was. A war loving, non Muslim hating, polygamist, PEDOPHILE. He freaking worshiped God/Allah after he got done doing "it" and with SEMEN on his clothes still. Sick!

The only religion in this world I have an issue with is Islam. It truly is a religion of cancer and going to school in Dearborn (BIGGEST Muslim population in the USA), I believe it even more. When you look at Jesus Christ, The Buddha, Guru Nanak Dev Ji and more, they actually teach peace and to love each other no matter what. In the Gurudwara (Sikhs temple), EVERYONE is invited to eat dinner that they serve regardless of their gender, race, and yes...RELIGION. I have seen Christians come in there and joining Sikhs in their langar (food service). I went to a Church and they welcomed me with open arms. They asked me what faith I was and I said I was an atheist and they smiled at me and told me I was more than welcome to attend their services anyways. Never once did they look down at me.

I know some of you will jump on me and say that there are extremists in every religion. I know and I agree. However, I recall when Tiller was murdered, Christians who were AGAINST abortion called this out. They said it was wrong to murder Tiller and it went against their beliefs. Muslims? Nope. They stay silent and support whatever is going on for the most part. A Sikh man committed a crime here and the entire Sikh community was telling everyone how it is AGAINST their religion. Same with Buddhists.

It is just Islam that scares me. They are some crazy power hungry people and we need to make sure their population stays low in the US or else we will become just another England or France with them getting angry if we eat Pork or women aren't covered.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
First Chef's departure and now this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies