Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
What are you thinking? You want to legalize all the dangerous addictive narcotics too? What an irresponsible attitude. You want your kids to have easy access to heroin, cocaine and other opiates?

Your kids would have less access to drugs if they were legal and regulated then they do now on the street.

Currently, more high school seniors have smoked pot then have smoked a cigarette.

Why? Because cigarettes are not readily available to kids. The most common place kids get them is from adults they know, and as smoking has gone down amongst adults, kids are correspondingly having less access to them.

But pot? Hell, every high school kid probably knows 3 dealers just by word of mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM

527 posts, read 467,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Would you also be in favor of legalising all now illegal drugs? I think to really be consistant,you should want all illegal drugs to be legalised in that case. I think to legalise marijuana,you eventually have to legalise all now illegal drugs.
What B.S.- why would legalizing marijuana mean other illegal drugs would have to be legalized also? Alcohol is legal-why not put your biased litmus test to alcohol?

Prescription drugs do more harm to U.S. citizens than marijuana does- but those are legal and rampant in this society- everyone seems to have their meds that they take-

Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Thugs always try to find "justification" for being thugs. Pettly little authoritarians can never just admit to themselves that they have no real justification for imposing their personal views on everyone else through force. They have no justification, that is why they have to use force.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm for legalizing most drugs, but your premise is wildly off base.

If a certain drug causes psychotic reactions in 90% of people who use it, no I don't have to favor legalizing it in order to be intellectually consistent. But marijuana is one of the safest drugs, both legal and illegal, known to man. People should not be allowed to drive or operate other heavy machinery on it, but other than that, puff away.

My drug of choice is not marijuana, but good old gin, which is a lot worse for one's health in every measurable way. Why that is all right while marijuana is not, makes no sense whatsoever.

Cocaine and heroin are terrible drugs, but it's easy to question whether our law enforcement remedy has not become worse than the disease. It's part of our ongoing problem in countries like Afghanistan, Colombia, Peru, etc. and as long as there is a market there will be a supply. I would cautiously favor legalization, perhaps under medical supervision.

Truly mid-****ing drugs like LSD and PCP are the hardest of all to consider. I would hope that if softer drugs became legal, the demand for these would shrink. I probably wouldn't favor legalizing them but I would recommend going only after dealers, not users. After all, there is a certain utility for almost everything: if not for LSD, how many Beatles albums would never have been made?
Outstanding post.

I feel the same way and agree that there are certain "hard drugs" out there that truly have NO place in society. The negatives far outweigh any possible benefits.
Methamphetamines are the nastiest, IMO and I just cannot fathom the likes of it, or crack, or PCP.....EVER being legal.
Obviously, there are some "hard" drugs that ARE currently legal and have medicinal value......even though the side effects and/or addictiveness well documented.......heroin, morphine, opiates, narcotics.....and cocaine. These drugs, I see as needing to remain available for prescription in their respective cases.....but tightly controlled and regulated.....not for sale as beer or cigs.
PCP, meth, crack.........NO validity and an extreme detriment to society.
LSD.....is so powerful on the mind........it's not a good idea for legal sale, (Psycho-research/ migraine-treatment/restricted access), IMO......as well as magic mushrooms/peyote, etc. But these drugs' validity, or lack of.... could be arguable to some, it's just that the psychedelics mimick schizophrenia......for a temporary duration.....but nevertheless......there's enough whackos out and about who aren't on them......and they are annoying enough, to say the least.
So are drunks.

So, I guess it comes down to the type of intoxication, its overall effect on the individual....as well as on society, in general.
The perceived threat and the real threat.....are often, add odds, but people walking around in a state of mind that goes with the use of "certain" chemicals more so than others........SCARES many folks and it is a rational fear......just it sometimes crosses into hysteria and paranoia.

NOTHING to fear......with the pot heads though.
Except for perhaps, forgetfulness?

Weed and hash products......should definitely be legal commodities on the free market, IMO.

Last edited by Sign; 04-22-2010 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
What B.S.- why would legalizing marijuana mean other illegal drugs would have to be legalized also? Alcohol is legal-why not put your biased litmus test to alcohol?

Prescription drugs do more harm to U.S. citizens than marijuana does- but those are legal and rampant in this society- everyone seems to have their meds that they take-

Boy, you ain't lyin'! They've got a pill for everything now, and everyone of them has that disclaimer about the awful side effects, minus a buzz. At least with pot, you get the buzz, AND the munchies, and no awful side effects. Maybe one might get a little paranoid from smoking too much at one time, but throw in some Floyd, or Zeppelin, or some other chill music, and kick back and that will usually solve the problem.

Me personally, I hate taking meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I always feel off, when I have to take a simple antibiotic. On the rare occasion that I get a headache, I take ONE ibuprofen. Some folks say they take like 3 or 4. Hello... can you say liver and stomach damage??? On another note, I had shingles once, and they prescribed me something to treat them which wasn't even a pain killer, and that crap made me totally lethargic. It definitely wasn't a good feeling.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

137 posts, read 170,489 times
Quote:
Would you also be in favor of legalising all now illegal drugs? I think to really be consistant,you should want all illegal drugs to be legalised in that case. I think to legalise marijuana,you eventually have to legalise all now illegal drugs.
Personally I believe we should. But drugs like Cocaine, Heroin, Methamphetamine and other hard drugs like that should be controlled like Rx drugs. Or they should at least be tracked to identify those who use large quantities and to get them the help they need.

Living in San Diego, it scares me how the Cocaine wars may soon spill over onto my front deck. Cocaine is nowhere near eradicated and we've been fighting it with billions of $$$ and thousands of lives for decades. Maybe we should cut our losses and just allow Pfizer and Merck and Biogen Idec to produce their own hard drugs (because Heroin and Dilaudid are basically the same thing anyway) and sell them at CVS. At least it would empty our prisons (most inmates are non-violent drug offenders) and would earn us billions in tax revenue.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
To answer the question of the OP... I am all for legalization of marijuana. It has been pointed out on many different threads in this forum the benefits of marijuana other than just as an intoxicant. It is the least dangerous of all the hard drugs, and it is safer IMO than most of the prescription drugs out there. But I am really on the fence about legalizing other drugs like meth, cocaine, and heroin. Meth has absolutely no value to it, and the way it is made is dangerous in itself! Cocaine I suppose could be used for medicinal as well as heroin, but for recreational use I feel it is far too dangerous, and users tend to put not only themselves at risk, but others as well. People who smoke pot tend to be non-violent and we all know that someone who just smoked a joint would rather sit back and chill, than get involved in a confrontation. Can't say that about alcohol either.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:21 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But look at Mexico where all drugs are legal to use - and things are really going to hell there.
Mexico enacts 'personal use' drug law - USATODAY.com

Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
Quote:
Someone I know said you could buy prescription drugs at pharmacies,in Mexico, there with no prescription as much as you want. She bought a big jug of prescription sinus pills.
Buying Prescription Drugs in Mexico - Buying Drugs Over the Mexican Border

Old 04-23-2010, 04:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I don't think you have to legalize all drugs, just to legalize marijuana.

Personally, I believe the state or government has no business legislating what people can and can't do to their own bodies. If it can harm someone else, then that is another matter all together.

Please spare the "DUI" argument. Driving under the influence is already illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies