Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I rarely link to blogs, but I found this article to be really interesting and provocative..

[/indent]Full article: Ephphatha Poetry: "Imagine if the Tea Party Was Black" - Tim Wise (http://ephphatha-poetry.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagine-if-tea-party-was-black-tim-wise.html - broken link)
Imagine if Tim Wise didn't make a living off of promoting racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Yes white liberal protesters were immune from all of the above in that era of heavy handed authoritarianism. Suffragettes were treated quite well in their day too. Whitey union workers were molly coddled down a garden path paved in gold out of slave wages.

I noticed there were a whole lot of heavily armed police during 2003-2009 anti war protest. This Tea crowd doesn't merit that?

What color were these people, and what justified use of any force?
[]YouTube - IRAQ WAR PROTEST - JAN. 27, 2007[/url]
Seems to me these people can speak their peace without side arms, threats, saber rattling, and speak their position straightforwardly. But they require baracades and riot gear around them, unlike Tea?

I wonder what would happen if the antagonistic tactics of police illustrated below were employed against Tea.

YouTube - Police brutality in Pittsburgh at a counter recruitment Woman lying on the ground getting tasered at peaceful Antiwar Demonstration Older lady is bitten by a police dog then arrested, 2 small children pepper sprayed

YouTube - Pittsburgh Riot Police Trap University Students on a Staircase and Deploy Chemical Weapons

YouTube - Police Violence during 03/20 2003 Anti-War Protests in SF

YouTube - NYC Iraq War Protest Video
Unrecorded on film and absent from media was an incident of a group of seniors getting railroaded into an alley by mounted police. The police later claimed it was ordered by Guilliani to deliberately disrupt the march and shield headcounts from the cameras. Guilliani lost the support of his own cops, and NY'rs. Y'all can google protesters against police brutality in NY-- the cops were mysteriously more polite that day. No riot gear necessary. No threats, no shoving, no intimidation or blood shed.

So, you were saying something about blacks being targeted and abused? Or maybe it's the subject matter? Or maybe it's the way certain parties respond to protests that oppose their political ideology?

NAHHH it must be because they're black.
Actually, you make some good, valid points. Thanks for the food for thought.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM

948 posts, read 894,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That bottom image isn't a protest. Laker fans went a little crazy when they won the championship last year..

Don't know what that has to do with politics.

Or a you trying to claim everyone who isn't lily white is a rioter?
Houston Rockets won 2 championships back to back and our city didn't go ape$hit. If any city had good reason it was us. But we didn't. We all drove the streets...white, black, Hispanic, Asian and nothing got busted up.

4th largest city and nobody got hurt and nobody rioted. Wonder why that is?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Houston Rockets won 2 championships back to back and our city didn't go ape$hit. If any city had good reason it was us. But we didn't. We all drove the streets...white, black, Hispanic, Asian and nothing got busted up.

4th largest city and nobody got hurt and nobody rioted. Wonder why that is?
Equal time- someday someone will have to explain to me why white fans in a much smaller city in WV find it acceptable to be abusive or burn couches in the street when their team loses. Why is the photo of a 4yr old in the stands putting his middle finger up at the playing field in the newspaper? I don't follow sports. I have nary a clue why the very honor of WV is on the line with these particular people. My impression (an outsider living here now): very frustrated people, a chip on their shoulder, vying for esteem in the worst possible way. Maybe that has something to do with all the disparaging remarks heaped upon them from all directions for 200yrs? Any other time of year mild manners is the norm, but this socially sanctioned vent is being used for other things.

Can't say sports had the objective of bringing out the worst in people. Sports seem to have changed over the years if you measure by the players attitudes and the sports commentators. When the worst does come out, why is that so?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
If the tea party was Black you would see mass suicides.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
The tea party couldnt be black because it is founded on and will go away with the Obama presidency. Obama represents something the tea party crowd just cant handle. Hes black and a main stream leader. This was the last straw for pent up racism. Its all about a black in the white house which is what that lady really wanted to sing. 20?? when O leaves thats the end of the tea party unless, God help us, Alan Keyes or Micheal Steele get elected then they will have a reason to fight on

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 AM

402 posts, read 853,222 times
Default Why that post didn't raise a good argument

Where to even begin? Well for one, if large numbers of blacks wanted to get involved with the Tea Party, they would be welcomed with open arms. The Tea Party couldn't care less about race. If Obama was white, the people would disagree with his policies just as much as they do now. Let's think about this. The Tea Party thinks that between government run healthcare and all the Keynesian economic policies Obama is going to ruin our country financially, not to mention increase our tax burden along the way. Do you really think they would be fine with this if Obama was white? That just doesn't make any sense.

Also, if the scene described in the blog was a reality, people would be alarmed. Not because the people in this supposed "tea party" are black or Islamic, but because there is an armed force threatening revolution! The Tea Party is the complete opposite. Tea Party rallies are peaceful protests of America's economic policies, advocating the election of politicians who believe in a conservative approach to politics. When Bush was in office, we were constantly reminded that dissent was the highest form of patriotism. Now that a Democrat is in power, dissent is racist, un-patriotic, and hateful.

It is fine to hold the view that the only reason a person wouldn't agree with President Obama is because of racism, as long as you hold that the only reason a person wouldn't support President Bush is because of racism. While that is still incorrect, at least it is not inconsistent. It is sad to see how far away we are from the world that Martin Luther King Jr. envisioned where people wouldn't be judged off the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Less than 50 years later, in 2010 people mandate that not supporting President Obama is pure racism. That sounds like the complete opposite of judging people based on their character.

It is scary to think that in a world were people are murdered every day and terrorist attacks are a regular occurrence that people would try to attack a group that has no violence on its record. The minute Sarah Palin says the word "re-load" people immediately jump the gun (no pun intended) and start clamoring about her advocating violence. This was so clearly meant in a nonviolent context that explaining why is hardly worth the time. If a President Bush claimed that a Democrat was advocating violent revolution because he used the word "re-load," people would laugh and call him retarded. I understand both sides are always looking for ways to get at their opponents, but this is a particularly weak argument.

I could keep going, but I'll stop. I know this was a little on the long side, but I hope I was able to get my point across.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
NVA79- they are not only speaking about revolution but showing up armed to demonstrations. Your point is to sugar coat.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM

402 posts, read 853,222 times
Default Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
NVA79- they are not only speaking about revolution but showing up armed to demonstrations. Your point is to sugar coat.
But what difference does that make? If some people attend Tea Party rallies carrying legal guns that they take everywhere for self defense, why wouldn't they take it to a rally? The scene described in the blog seemed more like a rogue militia descending on Washington.

The blog might raise an interesting point if it was at all factual, but it was almost entirely pure fabrication. No one was spat on, no Tea Party leaders are calling for a violent revolution, etc. It's really ironic that often people incorrectly labed as "racist" often want the most open, non-race based policies, while the anti-racist activists often want the most race based policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies