Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:58 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So downplaying it is a better perspective?
I am not downplaying but let's not hype it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,312 times
This is the south, pretty much everybody drives. I'm sure the people in the state of Louisiana, Georgia, Texas use more than 25,000 barrels of gas a day. Of course its not talked about whatsoever and its going into the air not the ocean.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
We will likely over react just as we did with nuclear while others move forward and we will become more relient on foreign crude. That will raise imports and mean more dollers exported. We always seem to shoot ourselfs in the foot.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am not downplaying but let's not hype it either.

please this very well could be the worst oil disaster we have experienced and you are worried it might be getting too much media attention? you have family that works for BP?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We will likely over react just as we did with nuclear while others move forward and we will become more relient on foreign crude. That will raise imports and mean more dollers exported. We always seem to shoot ourselfs in the foot.
“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.†- Winston Churchill

Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,099,879 times
Quote:
Nobody likes what has happened in the gulf. Contrary to liberal thinking even republicans don't like smelly oil polluted beaches.

But this constant media hype from Fox to MSNBC to CNN just goes to prove in the news business if it bleeds it leads.

Spilling a gallon is bad but how bad is this spill, really?

By comparison the Ixtoc I oil spill was 350,000 barrels or 70 days worth of Deepwater Horizon's output. More on Ixtoc I here

Good article.

Open Choke: Transocean Horizon Spill... "Obama's Katrina"?
So all you're trying to say is "hey this isn't the worst thing ever so why should we care so much?"

I could see the advertising campaigns now.

"BP: We weren't as bad as the Exxon Valdez"

I'll buy your argument if you go down to the gulf, and start talking to the people down there whose livelihoods are ruined for at least the next year. Go tell them, "hey its not so bad". See how far it gets you.

If these companies want to drill, they have to be perfect, especially when they're reaping 10 billion a quarter in profits. If they can't be, they deserve every ounce of scrutiny they get.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
The OP wrote that ixtoc was 350,000 bbl, and the current one is 25,000 bbl per DAY. At that rate it won't take 70 days to equal ixtoc, more like 14 by my math. It would be 70 if the 5,000 figure was correct, but it isn't. Also it's not likely to be capped in 70 days, much less 14!

I remember ixtoc as I was in TX then and some of my customers were involved in it. My recollection was it was higher than you posted but I didn't open your link.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Nobody likes what has happened in the gulf. Contrary to liberal thinking even republicans don't like smelly oil polluted beaches.

But this constant media hype from Fox to MSNBC to CNN just goes to prove in the news business if it bleeds it leads.

Spilling a gallon is bad but how bad is this spill, really?

By comparison the Ixtoc I oil spill was 350,000 barrels or 70 days worth of Deepwater Horizon's output. More on Ixtoc I here

Good article.

Open Choke: Transocean Horizon Spill... "Obama's Katrina"?
It is awful, can damage or kill wild life and is costly to our country, but I agree, enough is enough....Let's get on with other issues. We just got off a cruise ship. Eveny time we would wander back to the cabin we would turn on the TV just to see what was happening and all 3 channels had nothing but this on.

Nita

Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Of course it's bad. Anytime an accident threatens to put thousands of people out of work, destroy the eco-system of area and destroy their economy it deserves the "media hype" it's getting.
sorry, not this much...No one is saying it isn't a disaster, but it isn't Katrina...

Nita

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, not this much...No one is saying it isn't a disaster, but it isn't Katrina...

Nita
Ah, but it very well could prestage the next Katrina. If the wetlands along the Louisiana cost are further deprecated there will be very little standing in the way of even a minor storm surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies