Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

Nobody likes what has happened in the gulf. Contrary to liberal thinking even republicans don't like smelly oil polluted beaches.

But this constant media hype from Fox to MSNBC to CNN just goes to prove in the news business if it bleeds it leads.

Spilling a gallon is bad but how bad is this spill, really?

Quote:
Experts said satellite data indicated the oil was gushing from BP’s sunken Deepwater Horizon rig at 25,000 barrels a day. Previous estimates had put the leak at 5,000 barrels a day.
By comparison the Ixtoc I oil spill was 350,000 barrels or 70 days worth of Deepwater Horizon's output. More on Ixtoc I here

Good article.

Open Choke: Transocean Horizon Spill... "Obama's Katrina"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Of course it's bad. Anytime an accident threatens to put thousands of people out of work, destroy the eco-system of area and destroy their economy it deserves the "media hype" it's getting.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Nobody likes what has happened in the gulf. Contrary to liberal thinking even republicans don't like smelly oil polluted beaches.

But this constant media hype from Fox to MSNBC to CNN just goes to prove in the news business if it bleeds it leads.

By comparison the Ixtoc I oil spill was 350,000 barrels or 70 days worth of Deepwater Horizon's output. More on Ixtoc I here

Good article.

Open Choke: Transocean Horizon Spill... "Obama's Katrina"?

The oil spill is gushing out up to 25,000 barrels per day. It has the potential to do that for months, not at one time, not one week, but months.

In all aspects, it'll be the worst oil spill in American history.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
i wouldn't want to own any halliburton stock:
» Who was Doing What When the Drilling Rig Blew? Ask Halliburton! Dvorak Uncensored: General interest observations and true web-log.
Regulators have previously identified problems in the cementing process as a leading cause of well blowouts, in which oil and natural gas surge out of a well with explosive force…

The scrutiny on cementing will focus attention on Halliburton Co., the oilfield-services firm that was handling the cementing process on the rig, which burned and sank last week…

Halliburton also was the cementer on a well that suffered a big blowout last August in the Timor Sea, off Australia. The rig there caught fire and a well leaked tens of thousands of barrels of oil over 10 weeks before it was shut down. The investigation is continuing…

Federal officials declined to comment on their investigation, and Halliburton didn’t respond to questions from The Wall Street Journal.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:06 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Of course it's bad. Anytime an accident threatens to put thousands of people out of work, destroy the eco-system of area and destroy their economy it deserves the "media hype" it's getting.
I didn't say it wasn't bad but it needs to be put in perspective.

Putting the worst face on we could say this well could leak for thousands of years but it won't.

BP announced today that a containment dome should be in place in 6 to 8 days capping the spill.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Putting the worst face on we could say this well could leak for thousands of years but it won't.

BP announced today that a containment dome should be in place in 6 to 8 days capping the spill.
We are going on almost 10 days. If it is pumping out 25,000 barrels a day, that means we are at 250,000 barrels of spill so far.

If it goes for another 10 days, it'll be 500,000 barrels. Again, this can go on for months, not just days.

If it goes for two months (60 days) it'll be 1.5 million barrels.

I'd say that dwarfs the previous spills.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The oil spill is gushing out up to 25,000 barrels per day. It has the potential to do that for months, not at one time, not one week, but months.

In all aspects, it'll be the worst oil spill in American history.
Potential ? Iran has the potential to start a nuclear war! But never mind that lets act like it is the worst oil spill in American history.one can only hope right?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Potential ? Iran has the potential to start a nuclear war! But never mind that lets act like it is the worst oil spill in American history.one can only hope right?
Oh God, I hope they stop it tomorrow. The odds I'm hearing of the "caps" working, are around 50/50 at this point. Not great odds, but its better than trying nothing.

This is our last best hope to keep it from going on for months.

As I said before, its been pumping out 25,000 barrels a day, for going on 10 days now. Thats 250,000 barrels so far.

Iran is out of my hands, not my country. Any country that uses a nuclear weapon, or gives it to someone to use, is dead.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
From an environmental point of view, it is a whole different story.

The Pemex spill landed largely on beaches, not wetlands. It isn't necessarily which spill is the largest, as opposed to what area a spill affects.

The questions that haunt this region are how much more can the wetlands take and does their degradation spell doom for an increasingly defenseless southern Louisiana?

Gulf Coast Towns Brace as Huge Oil Slick Nears Marshes - NYTimes.com

Spill in 1979 was bigger � but not necessarily worse | Deepwater Horizon | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6976966.html

Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
So downplaying it is a better perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies