Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM

27 posts, read 35,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So? People who pay more taxes than me, obviously earn more than me. Actually, the more you earn, the easier it gets to pay your contributions. Being a freelancer, I am in one of only 6 fixed brackets, I pay exactly the same amount per month as someone earning twice as much as I do.
Apart from that I never make use of what I am entitled to, the state should be grateful for people like me.
But if they are working harder and are more useful than you, don't they deserve to make more money than you and keep their fair share.

It is not the responsibility of high earners and hard workers to pick up the tab for someone who wants to have more free time.

And just because you don't use your coverage now does not mean that you never will. One major surgery can make up for a lot of years of not using the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabeasley View Post
But if they are working harder and are more useful than you, don't they deserve to make more money than you and keep their fair share.

It is not the responsibility of high earners and hard workers to pick up the tab for someone who wants to have more free time.

And just because you don't use your coverage now does not mean that you never will. One major surgery can make up for a lot of years of not using the system.
We don't have that Anglo-American you got to work hard and become rich thingy over here.
What gives you the idea that someone is doing more useful work than me, just because he earns more or works more hours? Bank employees or stock brokers far exceed me in both aspects, but they are ruining the world with their actions while I am not. You don't know how many Portuguese work, I guess I work more productively in 2 days than many of them in 3 or 4. Statistically, I earn more than the average Portuguese does, despite the fewer hours.

Europe is a free continent, everybody is free to work as much or little as they feel is necessary. Nobody forces anyone to work 40 hours a week. Actually governments are trying to promote part-time work as part-time work is better than no work.

So, the likelihood of my needing major surgery is not greater than that of a millionaire, actually much smaller because I don't drive a car, don't do dangerous sports, eat and drink healthy, don't take any drugs etc.

Apart from that the waiting lists for surgery are so long here that I would have died before the operation anyway We are free over here, we can choose whether we like to have a private add-on insurance that covers such things, or not.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:

Do you live in Portugal?

Then **** about their tax system.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM

380 posts, read 642,861 times
Quote:
We don't have that Anglo-American you got to work hard and become rich thingy over here.
That's why US = $14.256 trillion GDP AAA credit rating & UK = $2.183 trillion GDP AAA credit rating versus Portugal = $232 billion GDP, credit downgraded, and in crisis.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
What gives you the idea that someone is doing more useful work than me, just because he earns more or works more hours? Bank employees or stock brokers far exceed me in both aspects, but they are ruining the world with their actions while I am not. You don't know how many Portuguese work, I guess I work more productively in 2 days than many of them in 3 or 4. Statistically, I earn more than the average Portuguese does, despite the fewer hours.

Europe is a free continent, everybody is free to work as much or little as they feel is necessary. Nobody forces anyone to work 40 hours a week. Actually governments are trying to promote part-time work as part-time work is better than no work.

So, the likelihood of my needing major surgery is not greater than that of a millionaire, actually much smaller because I don't drive a car, don't do dangerous sports, eat and drink healthy, don't take any drugs etc.

Apart from that the waiting lists for surgery are so long here that I would have died before the operation anyway We are free over here, we can choose whether we like to have a private add-on insurance that covers such things, or not.
It's hardly a free continent if it's people are dependent on the government for sustenance, and others are having to foot the bill for their dependency.

The reality is you people are lazy. You vote for politicians that make sure that you don't have to work too hard, because you think work is bad. What you don't realize is that your lifestyles are not sustainable.

As more people demand handouts from the treasury it is drying up faster faster. Your house of cards will come tumbling down. It will be very difficult for your people to handle, when they realize that they will have to take care of themselves financially and not be able to rely on others to do it for them.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM

And your surgery may not cost more than a millionaires. The difference is that the millionaire has probably paid enough in taxes to offset the cost of his expenses, whereas you likely did not.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
That's why US = $14.256 trillion GDP AAA credit rating & UK = $2.183 trillion GDP AAA credit rating versus Portugal = $232 billion GDP, credit downgraded, and in crisis.
So? There is more to life than GDP. I lived in the UK before, and I hated it.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
And your surgery may not cost more than a millionaires. The difference is that the millionaire has probably paid enough in taxes to offset the cost of his expenses, whereas you likely did not.
Millionaires don't use the public system, they pay the lowest social security contributions possible, knowing they don't depend on it, and buy better private insurance instead... And many don't even do that, because they can simply pay cash when an operation comes up, which is not all that often. But that is not my fault, they are entitled to the same public service, despite their not paying as much into the public system as they should according to their income.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It's hardly a free continent if it's people are dependent on the government for sustenance, and others are having to foot the bill for their dependency.

The reality is you people are lazy. You vote for politicians that make sure that you don't have to work too hard, because you think work is bad. What you don't realize is that your lifestyles are not sustainable.

As more people demand handouts from the treasury it is drying up faster faster. Your house of cards will come tumbling down. It will be very difficult for your people to handle, when they realize that they will have to take care of themselves financially and not be able to rely on others to do it for them.
Most people are not dependent on the government, be it over here or in your country. You have a weird image of Europe.
Basically it is not much different from the States. In your country people who can not afford insurance, simply go to a hospital for every little issue, in which case the bill is also paid by the taxpayer. Or patients drag their entire families into poverty who out of compassion do everything to pay for urgent surgeries.
Frankly, I don't think that is any better.

Portugal's only big problem is the EU, which is stifling us with all the rules and laws. I wish we would leave the EU and join some kind of union with Brazil instead. Apart from that people here have no problem living with little resources, it has always been a poor country. That is why despite the crisis people here are in a good mood, unlike in Germany or Britain, where people are complaining a lot. And many people still have huge families which in turn have huge gardens, where they grow most anything. They don't really need a growing economy as such.

Anyway, to get away from Portugal and back to the topic, in my opinion money only serves one purpose, to be spent. It was never meant to be locked away in billions, multiplying in accounts, stock portfolios and so on. Thus in my view there is indeed a limit to what might be considered reasonable income. Someone who is very ambitious can work for fun or pride or whatever. But does anyone deserve more than, say, $250k a year? I don't think so. That is about $100 per hour, insane.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Of course you did not like the UK. Probably could not lounge around all day everyday.

People only work if there is an incentive, not for fun. You have a very naive view of the world. You think that it is all big families and gardens and it's not. And as far as everybody being happy...well "ignorance is bliss". And it's not like we are walking around frowning everyday.

What ever happened to putting in a hard days work and feeling good about the things you accomplished at the end of the day.

Me and you just are not going to come to terms.

You know the saying is "reap what you sow" not "reap what others have sown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies