Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM

380 posts, read 642,791 times

Advertisements

My Way News - Security slip let suspect on plane, near takeoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Why is an incompetent in Homeland Security any more troubling than incompetence in the rest of the Obama Administration? I think that Nepolatano's incompetence is completely consistent with the rest of the Obama admnistration and she should be retained. If they got an effective head of Homeland Security, it would make the rest of the goverment look bad.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
You're absolutely right. I don't know what business she had serving as president of Emirate Airlines while also trying to run a major government agency.

Oh, wait . . .

Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
The bold portions below from the article are incorrect, and call into question the accuracy of the article as a whole. They seem to imply that the airplane was still at the gate. Actually, the plane had already left the gate and was approaching the runway. NPR aired the communication yesterday between the tower and the aircraft. Communication from the tower told the pilot to "immediately return to the gate...take the next left."

"By the time Customs and Border Protection officials spotted Shahzad's name on the passenger list and recognized him as the bombing suspect they were looking for, he was in his seat and the plane was preparing to leave the gate. They knew to look for him because of updates to the no-fly list made earlier in the day.

At the last minute, the pilot was notified, the jetliner's door was opened and Shahzad was taken into custody."

I wouldn't be so quick to chalk this up as a systematic security breakdown, considering the timeline of events. Besides, they could have just as easily apprehended him upon arrival in Pakistan, or ordered the aircraft to make an emergency landing elsewhere. It's not like he would have "got away" if the airplane had taken off.

The airline should have seen the huge red flag that was slapping it in the face, however, when this guy showed up at the last minute and purchased a one-way ticket to Pakistan with cash.

Emirates Airlines deserves to be called out for that, and perhaps punished in some way, but I think it's a little early to be laying blame and calling for heads to roll.

Last edited by JPD; 05-05-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
That perpetual deer-in-the-headlights expression doesn't inspire much confidence.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
The good thing is that this clown did not get away. If he did then the feds would still be looking for that white male teaparty person.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM

380 posts, read 642,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is an incompetent in Homeland Security any more troubling than incompetence in the rest of the Obama Administration?
Agreed. The Obama administration is largely filled with community organizers and liberal academics who hadn't even previously ran a lemonade stand.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Napalitano? Really? How about those that are supposed to be checking as well?

No-Fly List Procedures Changed Following Terror Attempt - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quote:
Emirates seemingly didn't check the new update for Shahzad before he was allowed to purchase a ticket and board the plane. He was captured after a customs agent noticed the name and called the plane back to the gate before takeoff.
Seems the system worked as best as it could, and as it was designed. ALL facets of the process need to actively "work" in order for the system to work. I'm still not happy with the fix, but it is more towards what needs to be in place.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is an incompetent in Homeland Security any more troubling than incompetence in the rest of the Obama Administration? I think that Nepolatano's incompetence is completely consistent with the rest of the Obama admnistration and she should be retained. If they got an effective head of Homeland Security, it would make the rest of the goverment look bad.
Thank you so much for the very valid point you have made. It all starts with those in the obama Administration. Most incompetent. The whole lot of them, just need to go, why we have those in power who are Incompetent, is beyond me.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM

470 posts, read 462,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Napalitano? Really? How about those that are supposed to be checking as well?

No-Fly List Procedures Changed Following Terror Attempt - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Seems the system worked as best as it could, and as it was designed. ALL facets of the process need to actively "work" in order for the system to work. I'm still not happy with the fix, but it is more towards what needs to be in place.
I wouldn't say that the system worked as intended. They got a bit lucky to catch the plane, although it could have been turned around. The real mockery of this is that the FBI was watching him and LOST him. The bumbling idiots LOST HIM! That doesn't instill much confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies