Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times

Advertisements

More like this is the "Real Iowa".

Real Americans don't hold themselves higher over other Americans.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in Iowa, but to each their own.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
More like this is the "Real Iowa".

Real Americans don't hold themselves higher over other Americans.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in Iowa, but to each their own.
Greg Brown and Iris DeMent live there.
Can't be all bad.
And corn, they have corn monuments everywhere.
In fact, I saw a rotating ear of corn in Iowa.
Made me laugh (a lot and out loud).

Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
LOL what a silly thread.

The guy likes his home and to him it is the real America. Good for him, I hope the rest of us think the same thing about where we live, if not you can move. That is America for you, freedom to live wherever you want to live and hopefully speak freely about how you feel about your home. Maybe only in America do we have that freedom.

Now start arguing over what is the best country to live in and yadda, yadda, yadda. LOL

Old 05-07-2010, 04:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
I've been through Iowa a couple of times. It's a fascinating place. In the summertime, it's like a wall of corn from border to border --- mileaftermileaftermileaftermile of tall corn: enough to feed a whole lot of people and animals. I often found myself wondering just how many earwigs must call Iowa home. A lot.

Then they have that "loose meat" sandwich -- I think it's called a MadeRight. Ground beef cooked without havng been formed into patties on white bread. Sounds weird. Tastes great.

Iowa is just as valid an imaginary location as anyplace else.

So is new Jersey.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL what a silly thread.

The guy likes his home and to him it is the real America. Good for him, I hope the rest of us think the same thing about where we live, if not you can move. That is America for you, freedom to live wherever you want to live and hopefully speak freely about how you feel about your home. Maybe only in America do we have that freedom.

Now start arguing over what is the best country to live in and yadda, yadda, yadda. LOL
Since SOME don't believe in reading back a few pages.....I'll say again....I LOVE where I live ..but ALL of America is the "REAL" America..... I don't claim others aren't living in "real" America....how devisive!

AND this is hardly the only country where you speak out about loving your home...for Pete's sake!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:15 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
I lived in Wichita, KS for six months.

Could not WAIT to get the hell out...not my cup of tea. I think it's also perfectly American where I live now.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
[quote=Who?Me?!;14082424]Since SOME don't believe in reading back a few pages.....I'll say again....I LOVE where I live ..but ALL of America is the "REAL" America..... I don't claim others aren't living in "real" America....how devisive!

AND this is hardly the only country where you speak out about loving your home...for Pete's sake!!!

And that is the point. We all should love where we live if we are lucky. Why argue about what is the best?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
[quote=janelle144;14085611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Since SOME don't believe in reading back a few pages.....I'll say again....I LOVE where I live ..but ALL of America is the "REAL" America..... I don't claim others aren't living in "real" America....how devisive!

AND this is hardly the only country where you speak out about loving your home...for Pete's sake!!!"""""""

Janelle""""""""""""""""""""And that is the point. We all should love where we live if we are lucky. Why argue about what is the best?
Please don't include your comments when copying my post...it looks like I posted your words...I changed it.

I wasn't arguing about which is best...why don't you try reading more posts than your own ......maybe the OP'S

The OP stated he lived in the "real" America...did you catch that..it's just in the title and the post....do you know the difference between the words "best" and "real"...there's a difference....

Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,373 times
I guess, what I was thinking when I started this thread is that there are places in this country where you can still have a "good old American life", without crime, gangs, racial tension, illegal immigration, neighborhoods that look like war zones, etc. Here in Iowa, the quality of life is amazing, it may not be the most exciting place on Earth but It feels like what America was or is meant to be. I kind of like that song by Merle Haggard, Okie from Muskogee, it talks about the difference in values between Oklahoma and San Francisco, I am not a Republican or a Democrat, but I like the old American values.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I guess, what I was thinking when I started this thread is that there are places in this country where you can still have a "good old American life", without crime, gangs, racial tension, illegal immigration, neighborhoods that look like war zones, etc. Here in Iowa, the quality of life is amazing, it may not be the most exciting place on Earth but It feels like what America was or is meant to be. I kind of like that song by Merle Haggard, Okie from Muskogee, it talks about the difference in values between Oklahoma and San Francisco, I am not a Republican or a Democrat, but I like the old American values.
And the problem with this is that it presumes that crime, gangs, racial tension and the like are novel developments and have not always been a part of "good old American life". You are judging each area of Amerca according to a standard that does not, and has not ever existed.

For as long as there has been an America there have been complaints about crimes and gangs, often these complaints have been inseparably tied to resentment over the immigration of certain ethnic groups, whether it was the Irish, the Italians, the Chinese, the Mexicans, etc.. Populist politicians as early as the 19th century campaigned on the idea that American urban areas were cesspools of filth and corruption and unAmerican untermensch. Nothing new under the sun.

It helps to have a bit of historical perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies