Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Breaking News! Greekman Brothers Moment, Shady Reporting by the BLS exposed, and the Dow Jones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What you'll see, if you have patience, is the unemployment start to drop if we continue this trajectory of job creation.
True enough, but there are still a lot of people on the sidelines, and as hiring picks up further, more and more of them will be drawn back into the labor force. In April 2008, the gap between the official rate and the outer-edge rate (including all those discouraged and otherwise marginal people and also those working part-time who wanted to work full-time) was 4.2%. In April 2010, it was 7.2%, so there's a good chance we may see some more months like this one where the increase in jobs is at least matched by the number of people returning to the labor force.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Breaking News! Greekman Brothers Moment, Shady Reporting by the BLS exposed, and the Dow Jones.
Gee, another whackjob at work. I couldn't watch the whole thing -- too ridiculous -- but did he ever get around to noting that the dreaded birth/death model data are used only to adjust data from the Current Employment Statistics Survey (a survey of business establishments), while the official employment rate (of 9.9% this month) is derived solely from responses to the Current Population Survey (a survey of households)??? I'm betting that he didn't...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Why would you want to focus exclusively on filibustered bills that were related to unemployment? Freaking everything was filibustered. Pure, wall-to-wall, 24/7 obstructionism. This is the only platform that the Party whose own leaders admit that they don't have policies that relate to the 21st century can come up with.

And as you may not remember, unemployment was hardly a key issue when the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007. War, lies, corruption, and the shrinking real household incomes of every non-rich American were issues. The unemployment rate when Nancy Pelosi was sworn in as the first woman to be Speaker of the House was 4.5%. Even by the recess for the 2008 election, it had just touched the 6.0% level, one which we had of course seen before under Bush in 2002 and 2003.

But if you simply must have a list of bills specifically related to employment that Republicans filibustered in order to satisfy your childish fancies, here are some...
Complete and total failure as usual...
Quote:
Unemployment Compensation Act
Renewable Energy and Job Creation Act (three times)
Advancing America's Priorities Act (twice)
Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act (twice)
Unemployment compensation act does NOT create jobs..
Renewable Energy and Job Creation Act is a job killer, if I recall, 2 jobs lost for every 1 created.
Advancing Americas Priorities, was 35 seperate bills simply lumped together. Sorry but lumping bills together doesnt qualify as a job creator either..
And the Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act, PASSED, and signed into law 2/13/08.

I see you are having trouble staying focused on the topic.. Its what bills were filibustered and NOT passed (i.e. to validate your claim that Republicans stopped the recovery) which would have HELPED employment...
Quote:
There were also numerous bills filibusterd that were directly related to jobs (such as the Fair Pay Act, the Employee Free Choice Act, and the Fair Minimum Wage Act), and many more still that included significant programs for jobs, job training, and new infrastructure projects as part of other legislative efforts.

I hope the wait was worth it.
Again, the Fair Pay Act does not create jobs
The Employee Free Choice Act encouraged people to form unions, again, it does NOT create jobs..
And the Fair Minimum Wage Act, again, does NOT create jobs...

I note again, the inability to come up with a bill that was filibustered that was intended to CREATE JOBS...

Last edited by pghquest; 05-09-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Which Democrats blamed filibusters for unemployment?
YOU DID.. But pretend awa as usual that you didnt.. Here, lets quote your response shall the rest can laugh along at you.
Quote:
Laughable. Senate Republicans filibustered every major bill, breaking every existing record in the process.
Which of course only compounded the humor by the fact that you then followed your reply with more blaming filibusters..
Quote:
Patent obstructionism by Senate Republicans and actual and threatened vetoes by the President made doing anything at all difficult to impossible.
And again I'll ask you.. WHAT BILLS WERE PROPOSED TO HELP THE UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS BUT WERE OBSTRUCTED BY REPUBLICANS?

Cant answer, can you?

But I do recall a very large bill lately passing which affected 1/6th of the nations economy, which only makes your claim that Democrats were unable to get anything done, rather humorous..
Quote:
The massive unemployment that crash-landed on the American people just as the Bushies were packing up to leave town resulted from their eight years of totally inept economic stewardship, but not necessarily or specifically from the fact of their unceasing Senate filibusters.
I get it.. Dont blame those Democratic job killing bills.. Its all Bushs fault. I'd put your responses on ignore, but I get to much humor out of you pretending you didnt say things that you did, and then spinning away the results..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-09-2010 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
LOL. Nobody can spin the unemploymemnt numbers. The numbers are simply the numbers, and the monthly press releases include all of them. A politician can try to pick and choose which numbers he wants to talk about, but any reporter at all can look at and figure out what all the other ones are and mean.
oooh the humor again Saggy.. I never claimed anyone was spinning the numbers, I claimed politicians were spinning the reason for the numbers, which of course you just validated!!! Thanks again for confirming the accuracy of my posting..
Quote:
With whom are you arguing the point? Has anyone at all stated that the unemployment rate went down???
You sure are trying real hard to make us ignore the fact that the unemployment % went up. Why are you trying so hard?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
So, now it's a vast conspiracy. I can assure you that the economists and financial journalists have a smidgen more integrity than to just spout whatever some press release tells them to spout.
Actually they dont.. Thats why politicians release talking point memos. We dont have many "reporters" left, they are all commentators.. You do understand there is a difference, right?
Quote:
But, if you have evidence to support your claim that even conservative publications bought the White House line without question, I would be happy to see it.
I never made such a claim..
Quote:
What you'll see, if you have patience, is the unemployment start to drop if we continue this trajectory of job creation. The fact that it went up is a good sign. There's no way around that. It's not as simple as "up = bad, down = good". It went up because we're creating jobs again.

But, I'll be sure to remind you when it inevitably drops if we keep this path. We're just not to that part of the recovery yet.
Never stated that it wasnt a good sign, nor have I ever stated that unemployment wont start to drop. Are little voices talking to you?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You sure are trying real hard to make us ignore the fact that the unemployment % went up. Why are you trying so hard?
The unemployment rate is used by both political parties to deceive the public, it's pretty much meaningless. The unemployment rate is based upon the number claims made for unemployment insurance. The person making a claim must show proof they are looking for work in order to get paid. When jobs are scarce, fewer people file claims, the rate goes down. When jobs are plentiful, the opposite happen.

Fact is that people who are unemployed and have no insurance, are never counted in the rate.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Complete and total failure as usual...
Well, that's a really impressive response, I must say. The only thing that's usual here is that you haven't got a leg or anything else left to stand on. THAT happens all the time. Unemployment (at 4.5%) was not a major issue when the Democrats took control of Congress. As a signal of a more broadly slumping economy, its slow rise to 5.0% by the end of 2007 did cause Democrats to goad an at first reluctant Bush into doing the $150 billion Stimulus Bill of 2008, but that did nothing to thwart the coming deluge built up from the effects of then seven years of Republican malfeasance. The Bushies had stared that in the face over the summer of 2007. They applied band-aids such as the Hope Now Alliance to it, then walked away, hoping that the dam would hold until they had a chance to pack up and get out of town. Almost made it.

Quote:
Unemployment compensation act does NOT create jobs..
Renewable Energy and Job Creation Act is a job killer, if I recall, 2 jobs lost for every 1 created.
Advancing Americas Priorities, was 35 seperate bills simply lumped together. Sorry but lumping bills together doesnt qualify as a job creator either..
And the Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act, PASSED, and signed into law 2/13/08.
[MOD CUT] Why don't you just say that THERE IS no bill and NEVER WILL BE that you, as self-apponted judge and jury, will ever be willing to recognize as meeting whatever absurd, unrelated, and ever-changing nonsense standards you decide to apply? [MOD CUT]
Quote:
I see you are having trouble staying focused on the topic.. Its what bills were filibustered and NOT passed (i.e. to validate your claim that Republicans stopped the recovery) which would have HELPED employment...
There never was any such claim made, and you in fact have to reinvent it anew each time you try to describe it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-09-2010 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Yet another personal attack

Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Excellent news.

And these private sector jobs, and not temp government workers

"Private sector employment increased 231,000, also the largest gain since March 2006, after rising 174,000 in March. Private payrolls have now grown for four months. Census hiring contributed 66,000 jobs."

As usual the haters cannot hide their disgust at good economic news. They were here within minutes to downplay the good news.
Has the national debt been meaningful decreased? Has the federal budget? Are entitlement spending programs being significantly whittled down? How will implementation of both a VAT and Cape & Trade prevent a "double dip"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies