Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 09:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm being very patient. We could have a 99% unemployment rate and it would have no bearing upon me.

I do note though how you avoided the question.

Tell me WHEN the employed count matters, and not the unemployment rate? We have ALWAYS counted the unemployment percentage and used THAT as an indicator, but now because Obama says it doesnt matter, you switch your position on the matter?

For example, YOU felt unemployment rate mattered just last year.. Remember this posting?

So now that Obama says unemployment rate doesnt matter, you are asking us to discount the very same count that you held valid...
Could you please cite where Obama said the unemployment rate doesn't matter? I've never heard anyone say that and have heard him talk extensively about how it does matter.

The bottom line is that we are creating jobs again - consistently and not driven solely by government - and the unemployment rate will fall soon enough.

It's not that it doesn't matter, but simply that it is a lagging indicator. The jobs have to be created first, suck up unmet demand, and then the rate starts dropping. Right on path to do that barring any major alterations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Everybody knows debt and deficit are too high, but every major nation in the world used these same tools to dig out of the collapse. In time, you will see these reduced as well.
The deficit, yes. The debt, no. No one has any plan to pay down any debt, basically within any of our lifetimes. There was of course debt paid down in 1998-2000, but any chance of that occurring again was pushed back by generations through Bush's tax cuts for the rich and related conributions to destruction of the solid fiscal position that he inherited and then wasted...

Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Could you please cite where Obama said the unemployment rate doesn't matter? I've never heard anyone say that and have heard him talk extensively about how it does matter.

The bottom line is that we are creating jobs again - consistently and not driven solely by government - and the unemployment rate will fall soon enough.

It's not that it doesn't matter, but simply that it is a lagging indicator. The jobs have to be created first, suck up unmet demand, and then the rate starts dropping. Right on path to do that barring any major alterations.
This whole thread is in regards to "290K jobs created" while discrediting the fact that the unemployment % went up as meaningless.. Are you following along with the same thread as the rest of us?

See where you liberals get the issue wrong, is you assume that everytime someone points out facts, that its an attack Obama stance, and you guys have to go on the offense, even though there was no blame being pointed. Its a FACT that unemployment rate increased, its a FACT that we have ALWAYS looked at the unemployment rate as an indicator for the economy. Its a FACT that the increase began when Democrats took over Congress and started writing all sorts of anti business bills which pushed the economy off the cliff.

You dont get to begin to pick and choose data, while ignoring other data just because "your man" says its what counts. The ONLY figure which has EVER mattered is the unemployment graph, and if you think otherwise, then find me ONE graph showing me the NUMBER OF JOBS created during the Bush years... I challenge you. All of these "new" job graphs judging "number of jobs created" were NEVER found prior to this administration because they NEVER COUNTED. Again, the ONLY COUNT ever which mattered was the unemployment graph.. PERIOD!!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The deficit, yes. The debt, no. No one has any plan to pay down any debt, basically within any of our lifetimes. There was of course debt paid down in 1998-2000,
No there wasnt.. Debt went UP every year listed, and you know this very well...

Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
I'm actually considering leaving this forum. Time's wasted just explaining basic misunderstandings of how markets actually work to people who seem to have nothing but emotional hyperbole to offer a discussion.

It's sad to let such misunderstandings go unchallenged, as I feel one of the values of this forum is that people at least pull out of their ideological echo chambers and engage in discourse from all perspectives to see the falacies in their arguments (both left and right). But, after a while, when you're simply clarifying misunderstood facts rather than discussing different opinions about those facts, the value of interaction must be questioned.
I wouldn't leave.
I take a break from time to time, and skip over the vast majority of obviously silly and stupid posts - and even put a few of the worst offenders on "Ignore" so I don't even see their pointless posts, but I still show up here. Afterall, SOMEBODY has to counter the ignorance (at least once and while). I just don't bother addressing the dumbest of it -and Lord knows there's PLENTY of that.

Ken

Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes, Barry is a job killer. Even your liberal Huffington Post realizes that Obama has no clue as to how to create jobs or stimulate the economy.
Hopefully, you have a much better understanding of medicine than you do of economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Do you also look back on the Carter years with fond memories? If so, I guess I can understand your zeal for national misery.
The Carter years were as islands of tranquility and prosperity in comparison to what came before and after.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
I'm actually considering leaving this forum. Time's wasted just explaining basic misunderstandings of how markets actually work to people who seem to have nothing but emotional hyperbole to offer a discussion.

It's sad to let such misunderstandings go unchallenged, as I feel one of the values of this forum is that people at least pull out of their ideological echo chambers and engage in discourse from all perspectives to see the falacies in their arguments (both left and right). But, after a while, when you're simply clarifying misunderstood facts rather than discussing different opinions about those facts, the value of interaction must be questioned.
The politics forum is not the place to discuss finance and business. There is a forum for that and politics doesn't enter those discussions.

People post business related threads here BECAUSE they want to interject politics.

Your best bet is to skip most of the Wall Street related posts made in this forum and go over to business/finance forum to REALLY discuss what's going on in the markets with no politics entering the picture.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Tell me WHEN the employed count matters, and not the unemployment rate? We have ALWAYS counted the unemployment percentage and used THAT as an indicator, but now because Obama says it doesnt matter, you switch your position on the matter?
Give it a rest. You don't impress anyone with your shrieking. How often did the right-wing try to sing the praises of Bush by citing his "52 consecutive months of job growth". Why weren't you whining in outrage then about how only the unemployment rate was important? Perhaps because the unemployemnt rate under Bush was never lower than on the day he took office? Sensible people of every persuasion recognize that the uptick in the unemployment rate is a result of increasing numbers of people believing that the economy in their area is on the upswing and that it would be worthwhile for them to start looking for a job again. Why do you turn a blind eye to that which everyone else plainly sees? Not that I don't already know the answer...I'm just asking YOU to try to explain it...)

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Its a FACT that the increase began when Democrats took over Congress and started writing all sorts of anti business bills which pushed the economy off the cliff.
No, that would be a concocted sack of goat dung. Your "all sorts of anti-business bills" would amount to a long overdue increase in the minimum wage, and I suppose some recalls of absurdly generous tax write-offs to big oil companies who were reaping annual profits in excess of the GDP of various well-known nations. The economy meanwhile fell into the calamitous times that those you despise are doing such a good job of extricating us from precisely because of inexcusably lax oversight and non-intervention and one miguided fiscal and monetary step after another, all of which long preceded the return of sense (i.e., Democrats) to Congress. You all had your turn at the wheel, and you drove us into the ditch. Your license has been deservedly revoked.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Excellent news.

And these private sector jobs, and not temp government workers

"Private sector employment increased 231,000, also the largest gain since March 2006, after rising 174,000 in March. Private payrolls have now grown for four months. Census hiring contributed 66,000 jobs."

As usual the haters cannot hide their disgust at good economic news. They were here within minutes to downplay the good news.
It seems you really don't understand what's actually going on, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies