Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times

Advertisements

This is a link to a story written by a lady who lost her son
at Kent State. It's well worth the read.
------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday, it will be 40 years since my son Jeff was shot and killed on the campus of his college. He and three of his classmates were murdered by the National Guard at an antiwar demonstration at Kent State.<snip>
continue to link below for the story...

What I Lost at Kent State | CommonDreams.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times

Hard to believe that was 40 years ago.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This is a link to a story written by a lady who lost her son
at Kent State. It's well worth the read.
------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday, it will be 40 years since my son Jeff was shot and killed on the campus of his college. He and three of his classmates were murdered by the National Guard at an antiwar demonstration at Kent State.<snip>
continue to link below for the story...

What I Lost at Kent State | CommonDreams.org

Very sad. It is certainly a little different situation than the liberal idiot who was run over by the bulldozer in Israel.

I think that the Vietnam protestors were wrong, but that did not mean they needed to be be shot. However, having lived through the protests, the National Guard had to be called out several times in my hometown due to violence, burning of cars and buildings. Therefore, the protestors in thier pattern of violence invited the presence of the National Guard. Had the anti-war demonstrators not been so violent in other cities, I doubt that the National Guard would have been called up at all at Kent State. I am not blaming the kid at all for being shot, but the violence of the whole movement demanded that order be restored through force of arms. Only people who did not witness the destruction and violence of the anti-war protestors would disagree.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I was one of the protestors in various places, although not at Kent State, and I was lucky enough not to be murdered for the crime of disagreeing with my government, and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 AM

857 posts, read 2,003,020 times
Default Four dead in Ohio

Kent State shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

40 years ago today.
A little before my time, but wow - what a dark, dark day in our history.
Anyone old enough to remember first hand?

I just can't believe that could happen in America. Sounds more like Tienanmen square...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Yes, it was a dark day. And not just in Ohio. The next work day, several of these older, Greatest Generation types huddled outside my office door and in louder tones than were necessary went on about how it was about time and how these kids had it coming to them.

While perhaps the best remembered, this of course was not the only such day from those times.

Last edited by saganista; 05-04-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post

40 years ago today.

I just can't believe that could happen in America. Sounds more like Tienanmen square...
More like the Boston Massacre.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I sure remember it. Even for those of us who thought very dark thoughts about the government were pretty shocked that our own government would start shooting students.

Kent State is one of those things that makes me think of the tragedy of Lyndon Johnson. He had the potential to be a truly great president, and it could be argued that many of his domestic programs still qualify him as one of the greats. By his decisions in Vietnam, however, he led directly to the election of Nixon, Nixon's domestic crimes, the massacres at Kent State and Jackson State, and the total loss of trust in the government by many of my generation.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, it was a dark day. And not just in Ohio. The next work day, several of these older, Greatest Generation types huddled outside my office door and in louder tones than were necessary went on about how it was about time and how these kids had it coming to them.
Well at least when they called in Swat teams to handle those violent Tea Partiers they did not open fire....yet.

Police State Riot Squad Intimidate Tea Party Protesters

NOW THAT IS PROGRESS!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post

40 years ago today.

I remember it. Right after the summer of love. Things changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies