Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:53 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

. Just saw a news story on it. Yep they are going to "get guns off the street" offering a 75 buck pre paid Master Card for any gun turned in at the local precinct, no questions asked. What a bunch of morons. I'm sure the bad guys are flocking in droves to turn in their weapons. The guns they were showing were mostly stuff like tube fed .22 rifles, a couple old shotguns, and a few (damn few) pretty decent looking handguns that looked like they were probably old service weapons from retired cops. Probably turned in by widows of the same would be my guess.75 bucks would not buy the magazines for any of my firearms, let alone tempt me to go running to the local cop shop to 'help make the streets safer'. What a load of total BS. LMAO, some of these 'dangerous weapons' looked like they had been buried in someones back yard for a decade. Yep, lots of bangers are going to be turning in their AK's and Macs on this program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
. Just saw a news story on it. Yep they are going to "get guns off the street" offering a 75 buck pre paid Master Card for any gun turned in at the local precinct, no questions asked. What a bunch of morons. I'm sure the bad guys are flocking in droves to turn in their weapons. The guns they were showing were mostly stuff like tube fed .22 rifles, a couple old shotguns, and a few (damn few) pretty decent looking handguns that looked like they were probably old service weapons from retired cops. Probably turned in by widows of the same would be my guess.75 bucks would not buy the magazines for any of my firearms, let alone tempt me to go running to the local cop shop to 'help make the streets safer'. What a load of total BS. LMAO, some of these 'dangerous weapons' looked like they had been buried in someones back yard for a decade. Yep, lots of bangers are going to be turning in their AK's and Macs on this program.
A cheaper way to cut crime would be to buy guns for all the people in Chicago and let them kill each other .

Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
ROFLMAO

But you gotta admit, it makes for good headlines!

BTW -- does a zip gun count under the rules of this lunatic effort...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-08-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 03:42 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
75 bucks? guns are the best investment you can make. a shotgun i bought new 10 years ago for 499 new sells for 1100 today new 75 bucks? no thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
If it works anything like the ones in DC, Baltimore and Annapolis (that had a squirt gun buyback a few years ago, that's the truth) most of the guns turned in will be the ones you describe plus some really rare pieces like a Spencer rifle and some Fox SxSs and a Purdy or two. All to the crusher.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If it works anything like the ones in DC, Baltimore and Annapolis (that had a squirt gun buyback a few years ago, that's the truth) most of the guns turned in will be the ones you describe plus some really rare pieces like a Spencer rifle and some Fox SxSs and a Purdy or two. All to the crusher.
D.C.s homicide rate is at it's lowest in decades..Not to say it's totally attributed to a gun buy back but what's the problem with getting firearms off the streets that may accidently fall into the hands of criminals or innocent kids that may harm themselves?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
75 bucks? guns are the best investment you can make. a shotgun i bought new 10 years ago for 499 new sells for 1100 today new 75 bucks? no thanks
Can we bundle the citizens of Chicago , like bad mortgages , and sell them to Goldman Sacks ? Jessy Jackson , his son , Rev Wright , Blago , gangs , welfare cheats ...
Oh , I'm sorry I was dreaming of a better America .

Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Can we bundle the citizens of Chicago , like bad mortgages , and sell them to Goldman Sacks ? Jessy Jackson , his son , Rev Wright , Blago , gangs , welfare cheats ...
Oh , I'm sorry I was dreaming of a better America .
heck no nobody's selling the gov is begging. getting ammo is still a problem where i live

Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
D.C.s homicide rate is at it's lowest in decades..Not to say it's totally attributed to a gun buy back but what's the problem with getting firearms off the streets that may accidently fall into the hands of criminals or innocent kids that may harm themselves?

You obviously don't understand the points being made. The guns typically turned in for these programs aren't the ones normally used by criminals. Some are worth thousands of dollars to a collector. Funnily enough as I started typing this a story came on Channel 13 about a drive by shooting outside Annapolis last night. I can pretty much guarantee the guns used were none that I listed previously. Just for your knowledge if you had one of each of the three guns I listed (Spencer rifle ca. 1862, Fox SxS shotgun, Purdy SxS shotgun) you'd being holding close to $200K in your hands.
The guns being turned in aren't "on the streets", they're probably in attics, basements and closets.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You obviously don't understand the points being made. The guns typically turned in for these programs aren't the ones normally used by criminals. Some are worth thousands of dollars to a collector. Funnily enough as I started typing this a story came on Channel 13 about a drive by shooting outside Annapolis last night. I can pretty much guarantee the guns used were none that I listed previously. Just for your knowledge if you had one of each of the three guns I listed (Spencer rifle ca. 1862, Fox SxS shotgun, Purdy SxS shotgun) you'd being holding close to $200K in your hands.
The guns being turned in aren't "on the streets", they're probably in attics, basements and closets.
There's actually no point to miss. Guns are guns. They're all designed to kill, period. Criminals will kill with whatever gun they can get their hands on. The less floating around the better. The funny thing is, youre actually pretending to be able to profile the type of gun a criminal will use. Just because a gun isn't on the street today doesn't mean it wont be on the street tommorrow. Nobody thought kids on the street would be carrying AK-47s. They use whatever is accessible, a Fox SxS Shotgun kills a lot better than a 9mm or a glock 27 does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies