Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This thread is just to expose the kool-aid drinkers from those who actually have a mind of their own and a set of principles to guide them.
And what is your principle in this matter?

As far as I am concerned, non-bid contracts should be against the law, but I saw the right wing nuts here go to no end to defend KBR contracts with Iraq, Katrina and Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,230,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Never said that now, did I? I just marvel at the hypocrisy of those who supported the pissant little cowboy's policies, like sending jobs overseas being good for our economy while at the same time whining about giving jobs to Americans, regardless of cost. Care to come down off the fence anytime soon? And do I need to tell you what you can do with your baseless, ASININE accusations of hating Americans?

BTW, I didn't catch your answer on just how pro-union you are?
So you are god of the world do you give the contracts no bid to halliburton or have Saudi oil bid on the contract.

Unions had there place however they are no longer interested in their workers and are more interested in the self perpetuation of the union.
Unions are dependent on their members to keep their boards awash in cash and perks.
They could care less about the workers as they once did.
thus unions are dieing.
So pro union when the unions were formed . yes
Pro union as they are now hurting their workers no

Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,230,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

As far as I am concerned, non-bid contracts should be against the law, but I saw the right wing nuts here go to no end to defend KBR contracts with Iraq, Katrina and Afghanistan.
So do you defend Obamas contract to KBR

Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Well, you know it won't, so why even ask? Why did the "R"s here support auto bail outs and TARPs etc under Bush, but oppose them under Obama? Don't you wonder about that? Same diff.
The Bush admin wanted to loan the money to the auto companies, like they did with Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act of 1979, under Carter. The Bush admin did not support buying up the GM and Chrysler, stiffing the investors and bailing out the unions. Not everyone was happy with TARP either, and when 0bama took over TARP, he changed it.

We did not have a problem with the no-bid contracts going to Halliburton to support our efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, because we were at war and did not have the time to experiment with new contractors. This did not matter to the left, who went completely off the deep end, turning "Halliburton" into a foul, heinous and despicable name, the embodiment of all that is evil in the world.

But now that 0bama is president, well.... now the left stops to think rationally about this decision of no-bid contracts, albeit with a few slugs of Kool-aid. In fact, they are still mulling over the NSA wire taps and unmanned drone programs that 0bama embraced and even expanded, with even more thoughtful slugs of Kool-aid.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:47 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:

Neither my views, nor my principles on this matter have ever changed, and will not change based upon which political party is in control of the government.

I understood the reasons for the no-bid contracts given to Halliburton, when we went to war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Halliburton was already a proven contractor, used under Bill Clinton's presidency. Halliburton had passed background security checks, knew how to integrate and coordinate with the DOD, and had proven reliable in a war zone. Trying to fight and win a war is not the place to experiment with a new and unknown contractor, so Bush elected to stick with a proven entity.

If Halliburton was so bad as the left says, then replacing Halliburton should have been a priority for 0bama. He has had almost 18 months now to open bids for contractors that do what Halliburton does. During this time he could have had the DOD and State Department evaluate these contractors and if they performed well, they could replace some of the duties performed by Halliburton, and slowly phased out Halliburton if 0bama wanted to.

Last edited by Wapasha; 05-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: replacing

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So do you defend Obamas contract to KBR
Why should I? Do you?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM

20,467 posts, read 12,395,607 times
Quote:
Why should I? Do you?
In fact most of us on the right... being right of course... recognize that Halliburton is uniquely qualified to do certain things that virtually no one else in the world can do.

That being the case, we are not concerned with Halliburton getting this contract, we are however, quite pleased that liberals prove yet again that they are liars and hypocrites.

Liberals have for years made a huge deal about these no bid contracts. Yet when in power, instead of doing what they said they would do, they do what must be done. Because even a liberal politician is smart enough to know it is better to be a lying hypocrite than an utter failure.

Failure is exactly what would happen if the contract went to some lesser company… Or more likely several lesser companies as it would take more than one to do what Halliburton can do.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The Bush admin wanted to loan the money to the auto companies, like they did with Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act of 1979, under Carter. The Bush admin did not support buying up the GM and Chrysler, stiffing the investors and bailing out the unions. Not everyone was happy with TARP either, and when 0bama took over TARP, he changed it.
Bush bailed out big auto two times by simply handing them the money which disappeared as if he had thrown it into a well. The righties here came up with all kinds of silly excuses to support the effort. Paulson changed TARP the day after it passed congress. Get used to the facts, but for me it is water under the brigde, not to mention it is off topic.

As for non-bid contracts: they should be against the law. This is one thing the Europeans got right. It's against the law there. KBR has been servicing the military throughout the entire Iraq war, so it does not surprise me the military picked them again. If I had been the president I would have competed other companies for the work, but this did not happen during Obama time. I dont' care. I didn't vote for him, nor will I in 2012, so I do not feel obligated to defend him on the matter.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
In fact most of us on the right... being right of course... recognize that Halliburton is uniquely qualified to do certain things that virtually no one else in the world can do.
If they are that good, they should easily have won the bidding wars. Don't you think?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
Most intelligent liberals realize that Obama is a neo-con. Liberals are more likely to dissent with Dems than Conservatives are with Republicans. Kissed Bush's ass till the last day and still do, meanwhile, many liberals have already jumped ship.
Exactly. Many liberals think for themselves and can accept the fact that Obama is not staying true to some of his campaign promises. We actually hold our leaders to a much higher standard than republicans do. Republicans will support the conservative candidate without question no matter how many bathroom stalls he's having sex with young boys in while banning gay marriage and running the country into a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies