Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM

282 posts, read 382,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Pathetic but true. I hate to keep dissing the Catholic church but the clergy seem to be hiding their sexuality up until they can't control it. Then they prey on kids who can't defend themselves. That is just plain sick. And the Protestant Bible-belt types are so sexually insecure that they seem obsessed with other people's private lives. Yet do their nasty things in private until they get caught. The level of this sick hypocrisy is frightening and only drives people away from Christianity.
Disgusting and true, they need to allow catholic priests to have wives, girlfriends/boyfriends and sex. However I don't even know if it will help that much being that pedophilia has nothing to do with being gay. As for the bible belt, there is so much hypocrisy, these same people will go out do drugs, cheat on their wives then go to church and confess as a way to "cleanse" what they've done.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,788 times
In addition to Memorial Day, California and all of the US should get the Friday before off to honor May 31st as the birthday of California's greatest son ever - turning 80 this year and still a badass!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,026,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1990 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I don't even know who this guy is, but I will be sure to contact my school about this.

My daughter is going to a charter school next year...run by a bunch of "cross worshipping" people like me.
Your welcome. I know oftentimes not much is publicized about this stuff and the schools have no obligation to notify the parents. And parents have a right to know what is going on and what is being taught to their children. Some schools may do nothing, some may pass out detailed reading material and others may stage mock gay weddings, etc. My children have attended different public schools in two different states. One would have done nothing or merely passed out a simple written sheet; the other school would have done the mock wedding. (They have done cross dressing stuff in the past.) Anyhow, you never know because the public schools pretty much have free reign on how to teach such material.) Some parents may not mind; others strongly object. In any case, I think ALL parents have a right to know what is going on in their child's school. Good luck to you next year. Sounds like you're making a good choice.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,546,833 times
Just another reason for the kids to stage protests in school, opposing the celebration of the things that make us all unique, and giving parents another reason to voice their politics through their children. Yay.

I wonder if parents in Arizona reacted this way when the state finally got around to celebrating MLK day like the rest of the nation. Oh well, at least parents will be informed. That can't be a bad thing.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,546,833 times
So I'm just curious, whether you're for, or against gay rights, how is teaching kids about gays/lesbians in school a bad thing? It's a reality that exists in our society and is actually a very popular topic in the news. Why not take this opportunity to help shape how it's taught in schools and at what level it's introduced? Why ignore the subject and act like it doesn't exist? So that you can teach your kids about it in your own way? It seems the only people who favor not teaching kids about it are those who are homophobic.

Quote:
And, once again this has nothing to do with "hate" which is such a tired retort. I know many likable gay people. I don't care what homosexuals do in the privacy of their own home. I do NOT want my children taught about homosexuality in school. And how in the world do you differentiate a homosexual person to recognize him as distinct if not by what he does sexually??? We can teach about the Irish or the Chinese or the Mexicans by talking about the country they come from or the music they listen to or the food they eat. What distinguishes a gay person other than "sex" and just what will the teachers tell the elementary school kids that this man fought for?
How can you distinguish a gay person from a straight person? Is holding hands in public with the person you love considered a sexual act? How about showing their love for their partner in a non-sexual way? Straight people do this all the time in public, and when they do, it's pretty clear they're straight - hugging/kissing their significant others, walking around with their arms around each other, or walking hand in hand, etc. It's not just about sex. Any showing of affection would help make the distinction. And what did Harvey Milk fight and eventually get murdered for? Equal rights and recognition for a group of people that you would still rather not recognize in society. Why shouldn't kids learn about why he was murdered? Just as they are taught about why MLK was murdered. Hate might be a "tired retort", but it's still obviously part of the discussion when you're fighting against recognizing a group of people or granting them equal rights.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
..and giving parents another reason to voice their politics through their children
So true. This is a real problem these days.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
This is where hard core Republicans make a huge mistake by promoting things that eventually are rejected by the populous [especially anyone with at least a high school diploma]. They are consistently on the wrong side of most social issues & only further isolate themselves from the average Californian.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM

396 posts, read 906,660 times
I can only imagine how some of the conservative people felt when women started to cross dress and wear pants. THE HORROR!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Sadly, the "morals brigade" of the Republican party more closely resemble the "moron brigade" that only encourages more scorn & mockery onto the GOP!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
Don't focus all of your ire on the Republicans. Save some for the strong showing of traditionally Democratic types who helped defeat Prop 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.