Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

It's funny that people who think marriage is a conservative value will not allow others to participate in that value - then they call them out for not being faithful...

Old 06-14-2007, 03:34 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
person, you misunderstand. I didn't at any time say that my morals were to be the standard by which everyone should behave; I said only that extolling the virtues of open-mindedness was giving validation to amoral behavior (not IMmoral).

Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Yep....believing the earth isnt flat and that witches wont float
is giving validation to amoral behavior.

R i i i i i i i g h t...............

Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
person, you misunderstand. I didn't at any time say that my morals were to be the standard by which everyone should behave; I said only that extolling the virtues of open-mindedness was giving validation to amoral behavior (not IMmoral).
you are reading too much into the I, which does not represent you alone. 'I' represented the narrow views of folks who think their moral compass is the ultimate value by which all should live, despite the existence of other versions of morals.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's funny that people who think marriage is a conservative value will not allow others to participate in that value - then they call them out for not being faithful...
every one in this country has the same exact right to marry! we can all marry someone of the opposite sex, and we all cannot marry someone of the same sex! we all have the same right! no discrimination.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:44 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
every one in this country has the same exact right to marry! we can all marry someone of the opposite sex, and we all cannot marry someone of the same sex! we all have the same right! no discrimination.
LOL, wow!

That's all I have for right now.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:46 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Lakewooder, here is the legal definition of marriage as stated in US code (found on the Cornell Law School website): "In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word “marriage” means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word “spouse” refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

My gripe is trying to use the word marriage to define a non-traditional pairing. Although I am personally morally opposed to gay unions, I would not impose my morals on gays who chose to live together but I do take strenuous objection to calling their co-habitation a marriage.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Oh my fuking God, you have summed up so elegantly what I have been trying to say about this thread.

Not only do they deny someone the value which they themselves trash 50% of the time, they have the audacity to bash others(which were denied that value) for not following it.

Ok mine don't sound as good.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
As long as gays are given the same 1,000 federal benefits of marriage, I don't care what you call it.

Gays pay taxes too, so they should have the same rights or be forgiven of paying taxes. Remember 'taxation without representation'?

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Lakewooder, here is the legal definition of marriage as stated in US code (found on the Cornell Law School website): "In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word “marriage” means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word “spouse” refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

My gripe is trying to use the word marriage to define a non-traditional pairing. Although I am personally morally opposed to gay unions, I would not impose my morals on gays who chose to live together but I do take strenuous objection to calling their co-habitation a marriage.
Well said redrover, why is this so difficult to understand? Forget that, I know it is not difficult to understand ,it is difficult to accept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies