Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:26 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times

Advertisements

Speaking Softly…..Gay Marriage and Fidelity

The gay marriage debate rages on, too often with emotional arguments dominating the intellect, with opinion overriding research and fact. Too much heat, not enough light. More data, more research, more facts, discussed with compassion and listening ears and hearts equals better decisions.

Gay activists promote the idea that gay marriages are similar to heterosexual marriages and that they celebrate the goodness of homosexual love. However, and in all honesty, in terms of commitment, monogamous relationships in the homosexual community are rare – less than two percent. "The average number of partners among homosexuals in their lifetime is 50 compared to 4 among heterosexuals." (Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth – Baker Books – Jeffrey Satinover, MD, psychiatrist, p. 54)

A homosexual couple, D. McWhirter and A. Mattison researched and wrote a book entitled The Male Couple: How Relationships Develop. The book described 156 homosexual couples whom they studied. Among these 156 couples, 100 had lived together for less than 5 years, and none of them had remained faithful. Only 7 had stayed faithful of those who had been together for less than 5 years. The researchers reported that "The expectation for outside sexual activity was the rule for male couples and the exception for heterosexuals." (p.3) At a time when gay marriages are being performed in some churches, this different understanding about fidelity in the homosexual community represents a significant difference from the Judaeo-Christian understanding of marriage. Where does the "forsaking all others" fit in? Apparently only 2 percent of the gay community have the same understanding of a committed sexual relationship as do most traditional Christian and Jewish heterosexuals when they get married. Somehow data like this should be factored into the discussion.

GK Chesterton once quipped that "The chief mark and element of insanity is reason used without root, reason in the void. The man who begins to think without the proper first principles goes mad; he begins to think at the wrong end."

Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Speaking Softly…..Gay Marriage and Fidelity

The gay marriage debate rages on, too often with emotional arguments dominating the intellect, with opinion overriding research and fact. Too much heat, not enough light. More data, more research, more facts, discussed with compassion and listening ears and hearts equals better decisions.

Gay activists promote the idea that gay marriages are similar to heterosexual marriages and that they celebrate the goodness of homosexual love. However, and in all honesty, in terms of commitment, monogamous relationships in the homosexual community are rare – less than two percent. "The average number of partners among homosexuals in their lifetime is 50 compared to 4 among heterosexuals." (Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth – Baker Books – Jeffrey Satinover, MD, psychiatrist, p. 54)

A homosexual couple, D. McWhirter and A. Mattison researched and wrote a book entitled The Male Couple: How Relationships Develop. The book described 156 homosexual couples whom they studied. Among these 156 couples, 100 had lived together for less than 5 years, and none of them had remained faithful. Only 7 had stayed faithful of those who had been together for less than 5 years. The researchers reported that "The expectation for outside sexual activity was the rule for male couples and the exception for heterosexuals." (p.3) At a time when gay marriages are being performed in some churches, this different understanding about fidelity in the homosexual community represents a significant difference from the Judaeo-Christian understanding of marriage. Where does the "forsaking all others" fit in? Apparently only 2 percent of the gay community have the same understanding of a committed sexual relationship as do most traditional Christian and Jewish heterosexuals when they get married. Somehow data like this should be factored into the discussion.

GK Chesterton once quipped that "The chief mark and element of insanity is reason used without root, reason in the void. The man who begins to think without the proper first principles goes mad; he begins to think at the wrong end."
I don't agree with gay marriage, but do agree with civil unions.

That being said, as a heterosexual male, the bold above is highly inaccurate. You don't think men cheat on their wives? Come on, our own president did. I'm sure most guys have had the urge, and I'm sure most guys have acted on that urge.

You know what they say about Republicans and motel rooms

Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,378 times
With several studies giving 65% + or - depending on the study, of
all married, breeder males who were polled admitting to a
one-nite-stand(so this really means about 75%) the stats are more
for Family Devalue breeders infidelities compared to the whopping
150 mentioned in this study. This, combined with a guaranteed 50%
failure rate for breeder marriages show that the Family Value people are
anything but, and a huge part of the decline of American moral fibre.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times
That was fast, one thread ends and another starts. More gay bashing but this time under the disguise of doing more research.

I say let them go forth and do it, its their relationship, they are all consenting adults, and they can't multiply anyway. How about we deal with our own fidelity first, with conservative christians having a higher divorce rate(barna research), why can't they deal with their own first, these fundies are causing way more problems in society than gay folks and yet we put so much focus on gays.

I wish there was more research on the sickness called control, of wanting to interfere with other people's lives.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Sorry - where was the bashing? Until someone shows some proof otherwise, it is foolish to call this innaccurate. I am laughing over the hypocrisy too. Provide someone with research and they call it bashing. Once again, the open-minded people show how close minded they really are.

Love the spin though people.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times
Quote:
Sorry - where was the bashing? Until someone shows some proof otherwise, it is foolish to call this innaccurate.

Look at this post in context to your other posts and it becomes so obvious.
Putting so much focus and emphasis on gays when fundies are causing way more problems in society. One thread just finished and someone cannot wait to show their obsession.

Love the cop out though. Citi girl at least has the guts to admit it.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,606 times
Quote:
Sorry - where was the bashing? Until someone shows some proof otherwise, it is foolish to call this innaccurate.

I agree, no bashing going on here (yet).

I do think it's inaccurate though. You can't blame homosexuals for what is going on in society. There are so many screwed up heterosexual families out there, and there are so many homosexual couples raising children to be fine, upstanding citizens of the USA.

I blame our societal problems on the constant bickering, arrogance, ignorance, lies and cheating that goes on. You can't blame Democrats and you can't blame Republicans. It's you, it's me, it's your brother, sister, father, mother, daughter, son, cousin, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, boss, friend, etc. Everyone has their own opinion that they're not willing to budge on. It's everyone.

It's not gays.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:22 PM

person -

Show me some evidence otherwise please. Food for debate. Until then, not much of a leg to stand on.

Nice try though.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 PM

451 posts, read 835,849 times
I sometimes find *****s entertaining but I am against gay marraige.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
I guess you wrote the above Biggie?

Or did you get that from a like minded wingnut at wingnuts.com or freeperland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies