Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody is teaching kids to mock our founding fathers or to worship Obama or whatever. Am I the only one who gets sick of all this damn hyperbole? It's rediculous.
What you said
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
First of all I never proposed to ignore the bad things. And the "bare facts" is not what this poem is. It is cynical mockery and should not be given to 10 year olds. Facts may be presented/taught but people should not be made fun of. Thats not what I want my child learning.

It is precisely what you proposed. You want them indoctrinated into a nationalist point of view.

I suggest you homeschool your children, so that they will remain untainted by satire, sarcasm, and critical thinking.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
It WAS the extent of what they "learned" about Jefferson. (Sadly enough)
Baloney.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?

Let me see if I have this right...

Your child comes home with an assignment you object to, so you extrapolate that one incident in one classroom into an indictment of the public schools in America.

Oh-kaaaaaay...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

----"Barack Hussein Obama---ummm,ummm.ummmm."

You would probably have a different take if it was George Walker Bush----ummm,ummm,ummmmmmmm.
Huh? And what's with the jibberish? Some kind of new slang I'm not up on? A viturual stroke? Eating something tasty? What the heck?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Huh? And what's with the jibberish? Some kind of new slang I'm not up on? A viturual stroke? Eating something tasty? What the heck?

It's called teabagenese. Or is it limbaughese?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Default LOL, you never saw this----where have you been?

Quote:

YouTube - Barack Obama song school kids sing

Old 05-22-2010, 02:12 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Default I like this version better---

YouTube - Mmm Mmm Mmm (Barack Hussein Obama) by Jimmy Z

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What's the problem? Take your kids out of school and let them be educated by watching Fox News all day.
Even that would be better than you having anything to do with their education.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
First of all I never proposed to ignore the bad things. And the "bare facts" is not what this poem is. It is cynical mockery and should not be given to 10 year olds. Facts may be presented/taught but people should not be made fun of. Thats not what I want my child learning.
Then don't let your child watch any of the pundits, and don't watch them yourself and encourage your friends and family to avoid them. Thats their whole career.

On second thought, just throw out the TV entirely.

Unfortunately education can't just be a presentation of the facts. It has to be presented in a way that gets kids attention, because kids can't be expected to shut up and pay attention unless they're being entertained.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies