Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes, it is an attempt to deride and demoralize.

The truth and reality has many different facets. One could view Van Gogh as a genius artist, or a schizophrenic with a sour temperment who rarely bathed. Hitler was a great speaker, but had a little problem with genocide. Which view do you prefer?

Van Gogh would not be a genius artist if he was not a dirty schizophrenic.

Hitler could not succeed in his genocide if he were not a great speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
haha yea rite.. the truth?

Teaching anti American propaganda is not teaching kids the "truth" nor teaching them to think critically.
I still haven't heard how any of what was taught was propaganda. Is anyone in this denying whatever facts were presented? Or are they just pissed that this was introduced in a public school and that it happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Childern should be taught to be proud of the good things America has done as well as ashamed of the bad things. They should also be taught to know the difference.
Quoted for truth.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?
I see nothing in the poem that is false or misleading. The Truth is always appropriate, regardless of how painful the Truth might be.

Part of the Truth includes the fact that Jefferson's 200 slaves were exactly that, slaves.

They were slaves in Africa owned by African tribes before they became slaves in the US. I suppose the issue is would one be better off being a slave in Africa, or in the Colonies?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,645,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I see nothing in the poem that is false or misleading. The Truth is always appropriate, regardless of how painful the Truth might be.

Part of the Truth includes the fact that Jefferson's 200 slaves were exactly that, slaves.

They were slaves in Africa owned by African tribes before they became slaves in the US. I suppose the issue is would one be better off being a slave in Africa, or in the Colonies?

The truth is "always appropriate" to divulge to a child? Really, at all costs? You are obviously not a parent. "Come here, dear, let me tell you a little 'truth' about yourself: you are a very ugly child, with those awful freckles and red hair, and your are not very smart either. Your teacher told me your IQ was way below the rest of the class. You are fat and lazy, actually a real slob. No wonder you don't have any friends, what's the matter with you? Now go to your room and think about these 'truths' which I, your loving parent have relayed to you."

Last edited by lilypad; 05-19-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The truth is "always appropriate" to tell a child? Really, at all costs? You are obviously not a parent. "Come here, dear, let me tell you a little 'truth' about yourself: you are a very ugly child, not very smart either. You are fat and lazy, actually a real slob. No wonder you have no friends, what's the matter with you? Now go to your room and think about these 'truths' which I, your loving parent have relayed to you."
What does this have to do with the history of the US? Way to take things wildly out of context.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,925 times
Quote:
The truth is "always appropriate" to tell a child? Really, at all costs? You are obviously not a parent. "Come here, dear, let me tell you a little 'truth' about yourself: you are a very ugly child, not very smart either. You are fat and lazy, actually a real slob. No wonder you have no friends, what's the matter with you? Now go to your room and think about these 'truths' which I, your loving parent have relayed to you."

Very ignorant statement.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
What does this have to do with the history of the US? Way to take things wildly out of context.

But the parallel is not.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
But the parallel is not.
Here let me clarify that individuals statement:

The Truth [regarding history; which literally has nothing to do with your ugly child] is always appropriate, regardless of how painful the Truth might be.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Looks like we have something in common, Ceece. Because I think it extremely weird when people continuously respond to other peoples' posts telling them they have nothing to complain about. Why spend your time on these boards, Ceece, day after day telling posters that their problems are all in their heads. All is right with the world. Perhaps you should just sit back with a box of bon-bons and catch up on the soap operas if life is so good...BTW, who said I wasn't involved or hadn't already addressed these issues with my child's school or have a plan of action???
I don't remember ever telling anyone that something was all in their head...but hey, if that's how you see my posts then maybe your head is trying to tell you something. And I really don't see the point of the personal insults...WOW..you know where to find me if you'd like to apologize

IF you are involved in you kids class and education you would know that the overwhelming curriculum regarding American history is completely benign, so picking out the things you consider negative and making a case about it probably means that is where YOUR focus lies, looking for something that you don't like. I know how that goes. There were plenty of things I didn't like about the work my kids did in school for one reason or another, and there were things I didn't like about the work I did when I was in school too. Schools never have been perfect, none of them. Not even home schools or private schools or religious schools. But kids aren't stupid, and they don't need to be protected from facts, and they aren't going to be warped by getting POV's that are less that flattering. Or by assignments that are complete time wasters (my personal pet peeve). There were great teachers, good teachers, and downright horrible teachers. That's because teachers are people and not programmed robots. And they sometimes make the wrong choices. They bring themselves into what they teach, just as we all bring ourselves into whatever we do. That right there is a good lesson for everyone to learn, my kids learned plenty, about dealing with different kinds of people and you can't slam an entire system because every person isn't meeting your expectations. That's unrealistic.

Your dislike of your public school is evident. WHY ARE THEY STILL THERE? So you don't approve of this poem, use that to teach your own kid something then. Do you approve of the other 99% of the stuff you kid did in school that day? If not, take them out and put them somewhere you think they will only get the stuff you like. That's freedom right?

Last edited by Ceece; 05-19-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Here let me clarify that individuals statement:

The Truth [regarding history; which literally has nothing to do with your ugly child] is always appropriate, regardless of how painful the Truth might be.

Your "clarity" is duly noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies