Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,224,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Dont'cha know? We just want them to draw turkeys by tracing around their splayed out fingers. We don't need to be talking about presidents, unless it's stories about cherry trees. And Dolly Madison makes snack food.

My Puritan family came over here from Holland, wearing tall hats and bonnets, brandishing muskets, and and carrying empty cornucopias, to be filled at a later date, didn't yours?

Oh I forgot - lots 'o buckles. They put buckles on everything.
"Squanto."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,594,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
There is no anti intellectualism in our country - It's just that the "self-appointed" intellectuals have difficulty "tolerating" criticism.

If educators want to talk about slavery, let them talk about the roots of international slavery - You know, how it started with Africans selling other Africans.

And let them talk about it in it's proper "historical" perspective. 400 years ago the world was developing - People throughout the world were still treating all others unlike themselves as not being equal to them. It still exists today in Asia, Africa, South America and even in parts of the European/Asian continent. This is not a white mans creation. So stop blaming them.

As far as this country being built by slaves - Perhaps, but the largest extent was from white slave laborers and debtors. (Look at the full facts).

As for the Native Americans - Remember, it was they that taught the settlers that you torture and mutilate your captives - This was not the ways the Europeans brought here. They did it in retaliation for what the Native Americans did to them, and they had been doing to their tribal enemies (for hundreds of years before any white man got here). - Apparently it was the "language" they understood - wasn't it?

Japanese in interment camps - Were they tortured, mutilated and beheaded?...Not to my knowledge...But, that is how the Japanese treated the Americans and everyone else that they captured. The Japanese here were more protected by the internment than anything - What would the families of the soldiers do to them (knowing what the Japanese were doing to our soldiers). Look at it in it's real perspective.

What all this nonsense comes down to is pure envy and jealousy of the white population running amok, especially by the self-hating white enablers that call themselves the "Intellectual" - And that is a real bias and racism, isn't it?
Just when you thought you'd read it all.......

So lets recap:
1) Slavery was started by Africans, so we are not really responsible for all the slaves that ended, and remained enslaved in the US?
2) Native Americans brought the violence upon themselves because in Europe no one ever had wars or rape and pillage or beheadings or burning at the stake. All those activities only occurred due to the influence of the Native Americans.
3) Japanese Internment camps weren't SO bad.

Justify, justify, justify! I guess because none of that happened to caucasians has nothing to do with the minimizing, right?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,224,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
There is no anti intellectualism in our country - It's just that the "self-appointed" intellectuals have difficulty "tolerating" criticism.

If educators want to talk about slavery, let them talk about the roots of international slavery - You know, how it started with Africans selling other Africans.

And let them talk about it in it's proper "historical" perspective. 400 years ago the world was developing - People throughout the world were still treating all others unlike themselves as not being equal to them. It still exists today in Asia, Africa, South America and even in parts of the European/Asian continent. This is not a white mans creation. So stop blaming them.

As far as this country being built by slaves - Perhaps, but the largest extent was from white slave laborers and debtors. (Look at the full facts).

As for the Native Americans - Remember, it was they that taught the settlers that you torture and mutilate your captives - This was not the ways the Europeans brought here. They did it in retaliation for what the Native Americans did to them, and they had been doing to their tribal enemies (for hundreds of years before any white man got here). - Apparently it was the "language" they understood - wasn't it?

Japanese in interment camps - Were they tortured, mutilated and beheaded?...Not to my knowledge...But, that is how the Japanese treated the Americans and everyone else that they captured. The Japanese here were more protected by the internment than anything - What would the families of the soldiers do to them (knowing what the Japanese were doing to our soldiers). Look at it in it's real perspective.

What all this nonsense comes down to is pure envy and jealousy of the white population running amok, especially by the self-hating white enablers that call themselves the "Intellectual" - And that is a real bias and racism, isn't it?
I thought I'd read it all.....

edit -- Zimbo! great minds

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,028,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This is nonsense. I know lots of high school teachers and both of my siblings are going through the public school system right now.

Most schools still teach overwhelmingly positive interpretations of American history, and the harshest truths regarding the treatment of Native Americans, slaves, and the United States actions in warfare are either completely elided or discussed very briefly.

Perspectives which cast American history "negatively," as some of you people want to describe it, are still in the minority, it's just that people freak out when instances of it become evident.

Sorry that you think your children can't handle the fact that America has done lots of messed up stuff, but it's the truth. The fact that some of you think that this is teaching kids to be ashamed of America is humorous to me.

Would you prefer curricula that deify our founders and ignore all the terrible events in American history so that we can keep national morale high?
No. But factual negative information tempered with the good our country and its founders have done would be nice. Not mockery. Not for a 10 year old. Not repeatedly. They also had the class make up their own mocking parody poems of The Pledge of Allegiance. This is not right. This is hate teaching. Self-Hate. Not right.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,594,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
They also had the class make up their own mocking parody poems of The Pledge of Allegiance.
I find this a little hard to believe, but if you say so.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,028,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's wierd that people don't have any sort of relationship with thier childs teacher and instead rant about "public schools" as if they were an entity trying to harm their very way of life.

I never had these problems, but then I cared enough to be involved.
Looks like we have something in common, Ceece. Because I think it extremely weird when people continuously respond to other peoples' posts telling them they have nothing to complain about. Why spend your time on these boards, Ceece, day after day telling posters that their problems are all in their heads. All is right with the world. Perhaps you should just sit back with a box of bon-bons and catch up on the soap operas if life is so good...BTW, who said I wasn't involved or hadn't already addressed these issues with my child's school or have a plan of action???

Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,652,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Looks like we have something in common, Ceece. Because I think it extremely weird when people continuously respond to other peoples' posts telling them they have nothing to complain about. Why spend your time on these boards, Ceece, day after day telling posters that their problems are all in their heads. All is right with the world. Perhaps you should just sit back with a box of bon-bons and catch up on the soap operas if life is so good...BTW, who said I wasn't involved or hadn't already addressed these issues with my child's school or have a plan of action???
These posters don't think..if you weren't involved, as they say, then how would you know what your child is bringing home ?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM

30,164 posts, read 18,756,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Wow your child was taught the truth, not a sanitized mystification of America's glorious past? That's so terrible. Maybe you should move to Texas.

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

They want to call the slave trade the "Atlantic Triangular Trade". Sounds so much nicer, doesn't it? Much better fit for the younguns.

The "poem" above derides Jefferson and emphasizes his failings, rather than the fact that he is one of the main reasons that the US exists as we know it today. To focus on the negative aspects of Jefferson is just an example of the leftist "hate America" approach to history which teaches that the US is just a hypocritical, imperialistic, capitalistic society which crushes mens' souls, rather than the source of freedom, innovation, and inspiration for the world for the last 230 years.

The left wants to "teach" and indoctrinate students with the negative aspsects of American history, which leads to demoralization and to a position in which one opposes the principles of our nation. In short, it is just another marxist tool.

I wonder what the same teacher presents about Karl Marx?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,467,547 times
Actually, no. We think you are not involved because in 7 pages of posts you have yet to tell us what follow-up you did with the schoool, the teacher, the school board. We are all waiting to hear that. Until we do, we can only assume, that as you stated, your daughter came home from school with that poem and you were rightfully outraged. You apparently wanted CD members to know what was going on in your child's school. At NO point in the 7 pages did you state what action you took. Therefore, it seemed to me, and others, that you were just sadly lamenting the state of public schools.

For the record then, can you tell us what you DID do with the teacher, the pincipal, the school board, the PTA, etc. to voice your concerns over this slanted teaching? How have they responded?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,897,847 times
Childern should be taught to be proud of the good things America has done as well as ashamed of the bad things. They should also be taught to know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies