Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

----organic farming will NOT be a choice--

?

Must Monsanto be forced to supply organic farmers with seed?

Let the organic farmers produce their own seed.

The catch is organic farmers want Monsanto to produce seed for them that has the yield capabilities of GMO seed, meets organic standards, and allow organic farmers to keep seed.

Ain't gonna happen !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
I gather you didn't watch the video, that is going to be in a documentary coming out in Sept. Watch it it will answer your questions.

VIDEO What in the World Are They Spraying InfoShare

I notice that MONSANTO's doesn't care who they poison or destroy for money.

Bayer has problems also.

Bayer Admits GMO Contamination is Out of Control

Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I've been reading about some of Monsanto's tactics this past year, that firm is beyond creepy.

FWIW: Current SCOTUS Associate Justice Clarence Thomas was once an exec at Monsanto. One of his first cases at the SCOTUS was about whether or not "life" could be patented, i.e., seeds. Thomas cast the deciding vote, in favor of Monsanto. IMO, clear conflict of interest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
Here's more on Monsantos. Very sad they are still peddling their poison.

Monsanto - World's Most Unethical and Harmful Investment

Scientific Abuse and Possible Scientific Fraud in Monsanto Research

Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals

Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----organic farming will NOT be a choice--

?

Must Monsanto be forced to supply organic farmers with seed?

Let the organic farmers produce their own seed.

The catch is organic farmers want Monsanto to produce seed for them that has the yield capabilities of GMO seed, meets organic standards, and allow organic farmers to keep seed.

Ain't gonna happen !
Monsanto and organic in the same sentence ?????
You must be joking..right ?

No organic farmer wants to buy seed from Monsanto.
They just don't want Monsanto's seeds flying into their fields contaminating their crops..that's all.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how are monsanto and other companies going to do away with organic farming?

the solution is simple: don't buy GMO or patented seeds. problem solved!

no one is being forced to use roundup
link please.

roundup magically removes nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and micronutrients from soil? wait, no it doesn't. nor does it kill soil microorganisms.
...these chemicals have a serious negative impact on essential soil bacteria and fungi, reducing soil productivity and increasing nutrient loss and erosion.

This paragraph is from the last link I provided in case you'd like to read the whole thing...one spraying might not deplete the soil entirely, but repeated use will certainly result in barren soil.
Quote:
i certainly was not aware of this. link?

oh good grief
Okay, since you're clearly too lazy to look at the links or videos that have already been provided, or to provide any of your own to prove these points invalid, here ya go! The 3rd link explains what I mean by farmers being "forced" into these chemicals...even farmers who choose to NOT use their products have been contaminated...when something is airborne, there is NO choice!

Is Monsanto’s Goal Our Extinction?

yupfarming: CODEX inside HR 875 - Growing Herbs Becomes A Crime

Monsanto Corporation: A Biotech Company Responsible for Roundup Ready Soybeans

The Forest Herbicide Season - A Giant Environmental Experiment

In the future, maybe you should provide some links to support your views instead of asking people to provide links to information that has already been provided throughout the thread.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
...these chemicals have a serious negative impact on essential soil bacteria and fungi, reducing soil productivity and increasing nutrient loss and erosion.

This paragraph is from the last link I provided in case you'd like to read the whole thing...one spraying might not deplete the soil entirely, but repeated use will certainly result in barren soil.
the last link you provided? perhaps you're thinking of some other thread, because you didn't provide a single one at the time i responded

as to what you just mentioned, what journal was this published in, or was it just someone's opinion?

Quote:
Okay, since you're clearly too lazy to look at the links or videos that have already been provided, or to provide any of your own to prove these points invalid, here ya go!
it's not my job to prove anything invalid; it's yours to substantiate what you've claimed, if you're able.

Quote:
The 3rd link explains what I mean by farmers being "forced" into these chemicals...even farmers who choose to NOT use their products have been contaminated...when something is airborne, there is NO choice!
your third link doesn't even begin to justify your claim for this mysterious 'forcing.'

Quote:
In the future, maybe you should provide some links to support your views instead of asking people to provide links to information that has already been provided throughout the thread
what views have i made that you would like links to? none of the links yet provided have even begun to back the claims that you made.

as soon as you provide yours, i would be more than happy to provide mine

Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
the last link you provided? perhaps you're thinking of some other thread, because you didn't provide a single one at the time i responded

as to what you just mentioned, what journal was this published in, or was it just someone's opinion?

it's not my job to prove anything invalid; it's yours to substantiate what you've claimed, if you're able.

your third link doesn't even begin to justify your claim for this mysterious 'forcing.'

what views have i made that you would like links to? none of the links yet provided have even begun to back the claims that you made.

as soon as you provide yours, i would be more than happy to provide mine
Just as I suspected...the only links you have are the ones you left in your toilet this morning!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've been reading about some of Monsanto's tactics this past year, that firm is beyond creepy.

FWIW: Current SCOTUS Associate Justice Clarence Thomas was once an exec at Monsanto. One of his first cases at the SCOTUS was about whether or not "life" could be patented, i.e., seeds. Thomas cast the deciding vote, in favor of Monsanto. IMO, clear conflict of interest.
monsanto was not involved in that case. the premise that life forms can be patented is an interesting one, but that cat's done left the bag.

btw, how do you feel about obama choosing [huge biotech proponent] vilsack as ag secretary?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Just as I suspected...the only links you have are the ones you left in your toilet this morning!
i'm deeply saddened that you've been completely unable to justify a single claim that you've made. but hardly surprised

what would you like a link to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies