Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Then why has everything escalated after he took office?
For the same reason that a ready-mix truck keeps on going after it hits a bicycle. Inertia works for ideas, too, not just bodies in motion.

By the way, give me some examples of "everything". In Afghanistan, for example, Obama is not better than Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
My comments are that Bush was not nearly as bad as they made him out to be. No president takes the same exam. Who can say how a Democrat would have done had they been in the White House the 8 year term of Bush and what the ramifications of their choices would have be. Moreover, there are two COEQUAL branches of government, which is the executive and legislative branches. Yet, people only look at what parity is in one the executive branch. During the Clinton years, the legislature was dominated by Republicans, but Clinton will get the credit. The last two years of the Bush administration, democrats controlled the legislature. Historically, the worst times are produced when one party controls both branches of government. That said, I am forever a person to link the present and past and cannot fathom blaming the culmination of decades of policy on a sitting president. Sometimes you come in on a good economic cycle or new technology boom and something you catch the begging of a bursting bubble.

I will say this though, in my usual unappreciated (when people don’t like to hear it) honesty, that Obama was not elected president for the RIGHT reason. I cannot think of any valued profession where one would place a person of so little executive type experience into office. I think he would have been ready after a few more years in the Senate or if he had been Governor. I was voting for Hilary because she essentially had an internship in the President as wife of the President, plus she had Senate experience in Washington. The nation wanted to PUNISH the republicans and show their disapproval with Bush, so it did not really matter who the Democrat was, that was the only conduit to punishing the Republicans. However, Obama won the Democratic primary because he was black. Blacks switched from Clinton to Obama because of they believe that a black president could, at last, deliver something needed to the black community that was lacking. To me, that was an emotional calculation and not a logical one, because he would never get or maintain power by INCLUDING the needs and desires of blacks in his platform and he would have to overcompensate away from such policies to not create the impression that he was not "favoring blacks". A white person of good will can do a lot more for the black cause than a black person because whites will feel more threatened when its coming from blacks. You can get a white person to say the same things that I have said and I can guarantee you that whites will accept and vilify them less than if and when I say it.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Obama was elected to have a fresh face. Young and inspired, that's what everyone thought. I'm still not sure, only time will tell. Things that happened in the past always have to be dealt with, and at a national level, that's a lot on the plate of one person. Many people voted for him because he was black, people who never voted, or cared to vote before. Great, he got more people to the polls, but most of them, for the wrong reason.

Good luck on changing the nation in a matter of 4 years, he'll never see a 2nd term, I don't think anyone who would have been elected this time would see a 2nd term, no matter what they made happen.

That said, give the man a chance, halfway through a term, and he is working and pushing. The healthcare reform and TARP bailouts are/were a joke, but we're only halfway there, and amazingly, nobody has tried to kill him yet, that we know of anyway.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
That said, give the man a chance, halfway through a term, and he is working and pushing. The healthcare reform and TARP bailouts are/were a joke, but we're only halfway there, and amazingly, nobody has tried to kill him yet, that we know of anyway.
For the record, TARP was passed under President Bush's watch.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
For the record, TARP was passed under President Bush's watch.
Not all of it, bailout, tarp, whatever you'd call it, was a lot of hot air and bonuses that didn't help as many Americans as it did make the fat cats fatter.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For the same reason that a ready-mix truck keeps on going after it hits a bicycle. Inertia works for ideas, too, not just bodies in motion.

By the way, give me some examples of "everything". In Afghanistan, for example, Obama is not better than Bush.

Obama said he was going to fix the deficit for starters

Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Obama said he was going to fix the deficit for starters
Can you name one reputable economist who thinks that cutting spending/increasing revenue during a recession is a good idea?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Can you name one reputable economist who thinks that cutting spending/increasing revenue during a recession is a good idea?
Wait , what? is that a joke?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
The onset of Autism is around the time when kids tend to receive vaccinations. Therefore, vaccines cause Autism. Same analogy.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM

125 posts, read 68,208 times
Quote:
Why is it that everytime something is pointed out about Obama, the only comeback is "it is better than Bush". The thing is, whether or not you believe it is better than Bush (debate of its own), how does this justify poorly executed policies? Whether or not you believe its better than Bush, isn't it about time to start taking responsiblity for your own party instead of just scapegoating George Bush?
When the law and the facts are against you, you scream like hell. It is all they have, and it isnt even close to true. This POS isn't better than Carter, and he is an incredibly low bar to jump over. It is so low of a bar, they had to dig a trench to lower it into, and POS Obama can't even jump over that!!! It seems that the party of the Jackass(es) has lowered their own bar so much it might show up in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies