Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times

Advertisements

I am not sure I have ever met a politically conservative vegetarian. Just curious as to whether any exist!

I am not a vegetarian myself and I am a conservative. I ate at a vegetarian place today to appease a couple of friends and the question popped into my mind.

Might be a bit of strange thread... please humor me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,299 times
I don't know of any either, and I'm a Conservative also.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
I wish I was a vegetarian and I am a conservative. Does that count?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
I am not sure I have ever met a politically conservative vegetarian. Just curious as to whether any exist!

I am not a vegetarian myself and I am a conservative. I ate at a vegetarian place today to appease a couple of friends and the question popped into my mind.

Might be a bit of strange thread... please humor me.
California has some.

The most prominent conservative vegetarian is Matthew Scully, former speechwriter for George W. Bush, currently working for Sarah Palin and on the PETA board of directors.

He has a website urging social conservatives to go vegan under the assumption that veganism is the logical extension of being "pro-life"

Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
I'll raise my hand. Although I'm not a pure vegetarian as I do eat a bit of chicken and fish. Been this way for over 20 years. But, I never try to push it on others; in fact many who know me wouldn't even know it. Just something I do. As for being conservative, that is a more recently occurring phenomena for me. I've always been fairly moderate; but, like many, I think, the older I get, the more conservative I become. With age comes wisdom!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Guess, my wife and I are close. We actually are Libertarians, but Conservative ones at that. We still love to have a cheeseburger now and again. Also, we love Sauerkraut( her family is German). We try to stick to fruits and vegtables though in everyday life.....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
I have a few conservative vegetarians in my family and I was a vegetarian for many years. It doesn't matter to me if meat is part of a meal or not.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Strom Thurmond and Adolph Hitler were both vegetarians.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Thanks all for your posts.... I think I am leaning towards eating less meat. Not sure I could (or want to) cut it out completely, but I have slowly been learning how destructive all of the meat consumption on a large scale is...

The start may have been a book called Fast Food Nation I read a while back and more recently a documentary called Food Inc. And then reading different articles and talking to people.

Anyway, it got me thinking how being a vegetarian sort of gets related to being "hippy" or "granola" (at least in my warped mind)... and I think that this will not be the case going forward. I think it will be "mainstream" in the not too distant future to eat less meat (much like not smoking is now). I just think people do not really think about it (yet).

Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Thanks all for your posts.... I think I am leaning towards eating less meat. Not sure I could (or want to) cut it out completely, but I have slowly been learning how destructive all of the meat consumption on a large scale is...

The start may have been a book called Fast Food Nation I read a while back and more recently a documentary called Food Inc. And then reading different articles and talking to people.

Anyway, it got me thinking how being a vegetarian sort of gets related to being "hippy" or "granola" (at least in my warped mind)... and I think that this will not be the case going forward. I think it will be "mainstream" in the not too distant future to eat less meat (much like not smoking is now). I just think people do not really think about it (yet).
In the West Coast states vegetarianism is mainstream and part of the culture. Of course that adds to the "hippy" or "gay" stereotypes of vegetarianism in the Midwest - considering how much hatred there is for California (albeit not for Oregon or Washington)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies