Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day, Wife Says
He's not flying out outside the home. He has the flag in the window. At first they told him if it wasn't taken down they would be evicted. Then they agreed to allow him to keep the flag up for Memorial Day weekend but then it has to come down. So when exactly did the American flag become offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,273 times
Did you not read the article?

Quote:
"a company policy that bans the display of flags, banners and political or religious materials."

"company officials said the policy was established to provide a consistent living environment for all residents. "This policy was developed to insure that we are fair to everyone as we have many residents from diverse backgrounds," the statement read. "By having a blanket policy of neutrality we have found that we are less likely to offend anyone and the aesthetic qualities of our apartment are maintained."
I don't agree with the landlords, but it is their building. They have a right to make whatever rules they want in their building. It also looks like they enacted the rule to avoid any conflicts. They are applying the rules to everyone, what is wrong with that? Do you want the government to intrude on private property? Are you a Communist?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM

269 posts, read 295,837 times
I saw this story elsewhere and to be fair, what he's doing is in violation of his rental agreement. Private property rights triumph over personal opinion in this case. A statement was issued by the company:
Quote:
Our company (Midwest Realty Management) was founded by a gentleman who served in the Korean War and World War II. The current President of the company was a Navy pilot from 1973 - 1979. Midwest's Construction Supervisor is also a Navy Veteran. We fly United States flags at all of our properties and we have the utmost respect for all who have served our country in the armed forces. In fact, the subject apartment community has four United States Flags flying throughout the property. Our request to take down the flag displayed in the window has nothing to do with our patriotism.

Our policies do not allow any type of flags, banners or political or religious material to be displayed in the windows of the apartments. This policy was developed to insure that we are fair to everyone as we have many residents from diverse backgrounds. By having a blanket policy of neutrality we have found that we are less likely to offend anyone and the aesthetic qualities of our apartment communities are maintained.

We apologize if our intentions are perceived as being unpatriotic, but that is simply not the case. Our only intentional is to provide a comfortable and consistent living environment for all residents.
Now, if he was flying the flag over his own property and somebody asked to take it down, then there would be a problem. The best thing the vet can do is simply show his disapproval and find another apartment.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Are you allowed to use the flag as a curtain in military housing?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Don't know. I never lived in military housing. I only lived on a ship so we didn't have windows.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He's not flying out outside the home. He has the flag in the window. At first they told him if it wasn't taken down they would be evicted. Then they agreed to allow him to keep the flag up for Memorial Day weekend but then it has to come down. So when exactly did the American flag become offensive?
It is not offensive but the problem is that, when you allow a tenant to fly a flag in the window, that means that other tenants can fly all kinds of flags. You will have Mexican flags, Canadian flags, Confederate flags and gay flags in windows. Have you ever drove by a college dorm and looked at the windows? I don't think the management is "anti American" but they are just trying to stay within the law. If you want the right to fly flags you should buy your own property and tell the landlord to go to hell. When I rented I had to tell the landlord I would break his legs if he snooped in my unit anymore. I am not a "good tenant".

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
No.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
/thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I must admit to some confusion. I thought that the right was all about upholding the rights of private businesses to conduct themselves however they see fit.
This man is not being singled out in any way - the rule applies to everyone equally.
So, where exactly is the problem?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
He signed a rental agreement stating that no flags can be hung.

So... what exactly is the issue here? If he wants to live somewhere where he can hang a flag, he shouldn't live somewhere where it's banned.

This is why I will never buy a house that has a HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies