Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
OPEN SERVICE AND OUR ALLIES
A REPORT ON THE INCLUSION OF OPENLY GAY AND LESBIAN
SERVICEMEMBERS IN U.S. ALLIES’ ARMED FORCES

http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/dow...file_id=164384
Honestly, the first line of the report really lessens any credibility of it. Look who is mentioned.

Just who were the service people that they interviewed?

It does not take much to skew a response - It's just a matter of leaning more on those that would be sympathetic to your goal. And that could easily be done by taking advantage of many factors that would not have to be mentioned in the description of the sample.

Also, there is one thing playing in the favor of any survey about sexual harassment or intimidation - Too many people are too unwilling or embarassed to admit or acknowledge that they were victimized.

This is often seen with rape victims.

This is more nonsense.

PS - Whenever there is a world crisis, it is true that these other countreis lend a hand...But, as we all know, over time, it is the Americans that end up mostly carrying the ball. Perhaps that says something that should be analyzed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,255 times
Default But you are missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Whoops... rep'd you when I meant to hit qoute

Guess what! ALL those people already are taking showers with gay people! They are just pretending that they are not. Kinda like when a kid pulls a blanket over their head and thinks no one else can see him/her. They already are showering with gays in basic.

And let's be real... I haven't taken a shower with another service member since basic training, and it's not like we're scrubbing each other down. Most people don't even want to shower with other heterosexuals.

I do agree... everything should be weighed, and it has been... the country wants gays in the military to be able to stop hiding who they are and secretly showering with people who pretend that if we don't know they're gay, it's like they aren't really gay.
First of all "the country" does not want anything one way or another at this point - Otherwise it would have passed through Congress.

But, it didn't, did it?..The politicians know that they are walking on thin ice here, and effectively they bought time, probably to try to delay it until after the elections.

The polls certainly show tolerance, but nothing more.

The point many on this board are making (and you may be missing) is that:

1) If the gays are joining the military for patriotic reasons, what the hell does their sexuality have to do with it?..Why is anyone's sex life or preference a factor in the military?...People don't care, they have their own lives.

The fact that the gays want to make an issue of it, and have their sexuality "protected" indicates that perhaps their motive is to be "protected" from prosecution for any "situations" that may arise....

Even though there may be regulations that restrict members of the military from unwanted advances - Well, this certainly will give a good legal basis (argument) that advances in the bunkhouse are not necessarily out of line.

We all know how these things go these days - Don't we?

2) As is mentioned ad naseum here, since homosexuals have a sexual preference for the same sex, well that puts them into a category more in line with someone of the opposite sex - So, there should be segregation.

What's the problem with that?..Individuals joining have the right to train free from intimidation, harassment and even simple advances...Remember, they are there for training, not entertaining.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The point many on this board are making (and you may be missing) is that:

1) If the gays are joining the military for patriotic reasons, what the hell does their sexuality have to do with it?..Why is anyone's sex life or preference a factor in the military?...People don't care, they have their own lives.

The fact that the gays want to make an issue of it, and have their sexuality "protected" indicates that perhaps their motive is to be "protected" from prosecution for any "situations" that may arise....
You just don't get it, do you? I guess some people never will.

How difficult it must be for bigots to see that their favorite prejudicial laws are being stripped away.

Whine all you want. You're on the wrong side of history, and your arguments grow weaker with each year that passes.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,452,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You just don't get it, do you? I guess some people never will.

How difficult it must be for bigots to see that their favorite prejudicial laws are being stripped away.

Whine all you want. You're on the wrong side of history, and your arguments grow weaker with each year that passes.
I will usually go head to head, no matter what the conservatives say, and argue in true American fashion.

But listening to people spout the party line on this issue in particular, where there are no good arguments and it's beyond ridiculous, makes me want to cry. There comes a time when you have to think for yourself and go against your own party when they're wrong, you know? And when people can't do it, it's just sad.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,336,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

That's exactly the point. Why should their sexuality matter? Why should it factor in?

It is so strict, DADT, that if I were gay, and acted completely normal, and went to the movies, on my off duty time, with my girlfriend, and pecked her on the check and someone saw me, I could get kicked out of the military. If I posted on my facebook page that I missed my girlfriend, I could get kicked out of the military. Every member of the military can bring their "other-half" to promotion ceremonies and banquets, unless you are gay- you can't.

So it does matter. Straight people have made it matter... not gay people. Gays don't want protection, they want the right to stop having to hide, even in their own homes! If I were to kiss my girlfriend goodbye on my front porch (if I were gay) and someone saw it- I'd be kicked out of the military.

I think people forget that this policy is more than just how homosexuals act at work. You can be kicked out for any homosexual act, anytime, anywhere....

It's the straight people who are making the big deal. Sexual harassment rules against unwanted advances would still apply.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee
2) As is mentioned ad naseum here, since homosexuals have a sexual preference for the same sex, well that puts them into a category more in line with someone of the opposite sex - So, there should be segregation.

What's the problem with that?..Individuals joining have the right to train free from intimidation, harassment and even simple advances...Remember, they are there for training, not entertaining.

Errr..... do we allow gay women to use men's bathrooms? Gay men to use women's bathrooms?

It isn't "sexuality" that forms the basis of segregated living quarters, etc. (not the concern that men and women will start having sex in integrated bathrooms), but GENDER. Women have the same problems/bodies as other women, and men can all use urinals, etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Once they abandon DADT, does that mean we can ask them about being gay, and then kick them out for telling the truth, or prosecute them later for lying about it?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
Very good news indeed. Long overdue. We need to respect the rights of all people including homosexual people.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,431,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
It's not bull****, It's an actual problem.

Gay men like men, gay women like women. Letting homosexual men shower with straight men is like letting all the heterosexual men shower with heterosexual women.

They either need to segregate the homosexuals or integrate everybody. Men showering/sharing rooms with females, the whole bit.

If they're not prepared to do either, leave the policy be.

Pretty sure it's not going to send gay men into an uncontrollable frenzy. Which seems to be the basic argument from the bigots opposed to ending this, that gay men will somehow become rampaging beasts, unable to control themselves.

It's just like the people who were so opposed to integrating blacks in the schools, armed services, etc. And it's just as insulting.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM

66 posts, read 78,202 times
I am in the Army and I better get my own shower then. I dont want a bay-shower anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies