Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,986 times

Advertisements

It is ironic that the anti-intellectual crowd is up in arms about the lack of a fix for the oil spill. People here on CD have wildly applauded Chris Christie for firing teachers and cutting education spending in lieu of raising state taxes on even the wealthiest or residents. Sadly, you can't have it both ways. You can't cut education and expect us to have the capacity to fix complex problems especially in the future. You can't mock intellectuals then blame them for not fixing our problems. There was even a thread saluting Palin for posting on her facebook page the statement "Mr. President just plug the d@mn hole". She didn't post a solution, suggestion, encouragement, just a vague statement of criticism. Education is a critical part of our country's success in the future not this strange lurch towards dumbing down our populous. Our ability to solve these complex issues in the future will not be solved by those with "folksy" talk and eye winks but those with outstanding education and intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Political correctness is more important. They let the best guy in the world go.

How sad is that????

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It is ironic that the anti-intellectual crowd is up in arms about the lack of a fix for the oil spill. People here on CD have wildly applauded Chris Christie for firing teachers and cutting education spending in lieu of raising state taxes on even the wealthiest or residents. Sadly, you can't have it both ways. You can't cut education and expect us to have the capacity to fix complex problems especially in the future. You can't mock intellectuals then blame them for not fixing our problems. There was even a thread saluting Palin for posting on her facebook page the statement "Mr. President just plug the d@mn hole". She didn't post a solution, suggestion, encouragement, just a vague statement of criticism. Education is a critical part of our country's success in the future not this strange lurch towards dumbing down our populous. Our ability to solve these complex issues in the future will not be solved by those with "folksy" talk and eye winks but those with outstanding education and intellect.
You lost me there. If intellectuals are so intellectual, why haven't they made a plan for this inevitible occasion?

Christie did not fire ONE Teacher, the districts did by not wanting to kill their golden goose.

Palin is NOT in charge. She is an American citizen expressing her opinion. "Palin derangement syndrome" is growing.

Liberal "dumbing down" policies is what led to a Community Organizer agitator becoming President. How is Obama handling these "complex issues"?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:10 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,356 times
Quote:
Since you're such an intelligent person, why do you find it necessary to insult people with terms like "the anti-intellectual crowd" or "dumbing down", when you're trying to point something out to them.....does that work for you? I'm kind of dumb compared to you but, I would think it wouldn't be the right approach to use. It isolates some people reading your post right from the start....and then you've already started an argument instead of a worth while discussion.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You lost me there. If intellectuals are so intellectual, why haven't they made a plan for this inevitible occasion?

Christie did not fire ONE Teacher, the districts did by not wanting to kill their golden goose.

Palin is NOT in charge. She is an American citizen expressing her opinion. "Palin derangement syndrome" is growing.

Liberal "dumbing down" policies is what led to a Community Organizer agitator becoming President. How is Obama handling these "complex issues"?
It's not ironic that "I lost you"..

Christie cut funding to primary schools and higher education. N.J. Gov. Chris Christie's spending cut plan key points | - NJ.com

I never said Palin was in charge but her point of view was championed here on CD. A point of view without substance.

This also wasn't a question about Obama. It's more of a question about our country's subtle shift in supporting anti-intellectualism. Obama has to deal with a myriad of issues and is doing quite well. He and nobody is an expert on every issue but his education allows him the capacity to understand these issues.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Since you're such an intelligent person, why do you find it necessary to insult people with terms like "the anti-intellectual crowd" or "dumbing down", when you're trying to point something out to them.....does that work for you? I'm kind of dumb compared to you but, I would think it wouldn't be the right approach to use.
I didn't say I was anything and if you don't like how I phrased my opinion, that's your opinion.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I was anything and if you don't like how I phrased my opinion, that's your opinion.
It's implied by the words you choose to use. Yes, it's your opinion and it's not my opinion of how you phrased it that's of concern, it's the words you chose to use when you express your opinions.....they each have a definition.....and those definitions are a fact, not my opinion.

The definition of intellectual is to have or show intellect, rational rather than emotional. Intellect is the ability to learn and reason, the capacity for knowledge and understanding.

Your post is your opinion about an entire group of people that you label as the "anti-intellectual crowd"....a group of people that are against those that have the ability to learn and reason, the capacity for knowledge....which to you is obviously a significant amount of people, otherwise what would be the purpose of the post and your need to refer to them....criticize them. Among this "crowd" you refer to, obviously none have the ability to learn and reason or the capacity for knowledge, otherwise they would be against themselves and that's not possible....it doesn't make any sense so, they're a group of uneducated people....not because they chose that path but, because they don't have the capacity for knowledge, they're not capable of learning so, basically they're all dumb. Wow, that's some group of people you're choosing to be critical of....which also implies that you're not part of that group but, feel the need to point them out and make an example of them.

Did you not mean that with the words you chose to use? If not, what exactly do the words you chose to use mean then....not, in your opinion but, as a matter of fact? Educate me.....explain it to me, please.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Our ability to solve these complex issues in the future will not be solved by those with "folksy" talk and eye winks but those with outstanding education and intellect.
You mean like the guy living next to me with all the degrees that called me in a panic because one of his water pipes burst and he didn't know how to shut it off? True story...

Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You mean like the guy living next to me with all the degrees that called me in a panic because one of his water pipes burst and he didn't know how to shut it off? True story...
Yeah, there is that saying.....those who can, do and those who can't, teach. That's a generalization to say the least but, it certainly has applied with some of the teachers that I've known in my lifetime.

I heard Anderson Cooper make a joke today during a commencement speech he was giving. I forgot his exact wording but, he was telling the college graduates that they their degree isn't going to start them off at the top but, it puts them on path....keep trying, don't give up....blah, blah, blah....except for you English majors, I don't know what you're going to do with that...something to that effect. My brother 10 years older than me (the hippie in the family) graduated with an English degree. He ended up in his own business that involves, photography, graphic arts, etc......and now with computers it's become imaging, photoshop, etc. The reason he ended up doing that though is because his first job out of college was working for a guy as a bicycle messenger.....he retired and taught him the trade before he did. The reason I say all this, is because for about 20 years, everytime something broke at the business or his home, he'd call me up (we live over a 1,000 miles from each other) and ask me what the h*ll to do....lol. Your comment made me think of that....depending upon the degree, what you said can be very true sometimes.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 AM

683 posts, read 428,645 times
Quote:
Our ability to solve these complex issues in the future will not be solved by those with "folksy" talk and eye winks but those with outstanding education and intellect.
I know tons of people in the oil and gas industry, from offshore rough necks to geologist and engineers who are better educated and are more intellectual than 99.999% of the voting public... not one of the leans to the left. Your attempt to make people who care about this oil spill and expect our President to do his job seem less intelligent has failed, many of these people are down on those beaches cleaning up sand or washing oil off of birds with their own hands, not doing some photo opp and hopping back on AF1 to another fundraiser.

I'm a very well educated guy, I'm in a completely different industry from oil and gas but even I can see that these guys are up against a huge challenge getting this well shut down. This has never happened before and doing anything a mile under water isn't insanely difficult.

The "anti-inelectual" crowd you speak about has just as much right to demand action as the anti-common sense crowd who looks past the failures of their politicians while supporting whatever they do blindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies