Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times

Advertisements

"Pro-American"??? You're going to get a different definition for that phrase depending on whom you ask.

And that's the great thing about our country. We have the absolute right to discuss and disagree on what it means to be "Pro-American".

To me, being "Pro-American" doesn't mean I have to be "anti-any other country/nationality".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Simple.... Pro-American to me means understanding the Constitution, accepting its premises, and acknowledging that every American has the same rights as any group or individual. Acceptance of responsibility, willingness to work for personal gain, etc. I believe in Christ, but I don't condemn someone who doesn't, however, I am condemned for doing so. I believe American's believe that our nation is a God fearing nation which doesn't mean any individual has to, and if you don't you don't condemn those who do or the nation for being "one nation, under God" as the eighteenth century patriots obviously accepted and/or endorsed. I think it's un-American to condemn the Constition, especially if they haven't read it.
The constitution is not a perfect document and this isn't the 18th century. Things do change and accepting that change doesn't make one Pro or Anti-American. The constitution depicts African-Americans as less than whole human beings. I have no idea what "God fearing nation" means when we start wars all over the world.

In many respects, it's my experience that people that proclaim themselves pro-American are of the mindset that America as originally constituted was without fault or error. That's simply not true. You can be "pro-America" and admit that the country has faults and seek to improve them.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The constitution depicts African-Americans as less than whole human beings.
Not anymore.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Not anymore.
That's my point. There were vile things in the constitution that were amended and there are still things that need improvement or change. I personally think it is un-American to claim that someone is un-American for voicing there concern about aspects of the constitution, which was the last line of the OPs definition. It's completely American to voice concerns about whatever you want which is protected by the constitution. Without those voices, some of those vile things might still be law.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Amendments are part of the Constitution and have been since it was ratified. The first 10 amendments were part of the Constitution from the very beginning.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM

220 posts, read 222,856 times
Quote:
Define Pro-American.
love YOUR christian god and your country

/sarcasm

Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I disagree. The selfish special interest groups have no interest in being pro-American unless its pro their interest.

Hey what'd know, the pro race victims hit this on the second post !

Old 05-30-2010, 03:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
The constitution is not a perfect document and this isn't the 18th century. Things do change and accepting that change doesn't make one Pro or Anti-American. The constitution depicts African-Americans as less than whole human beings. I have no idea what "God fearing nation" means when we start wars all over the world.

In many respects, it's my experience that people that proclaim themselves pro-American are of the mindset that America as originally constituted was without fault or error. That's simply not true. You can be "pro-America" and admit that the country has faults and seek to improve them.

Show us all where the Constitution " dispicts blacks as less than whole human beings " [ no such thing as African American]

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
love YOUR christian god and your country

/sarcasm
I think you just proved my point better than any other post. You had to go negative. This is sad.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
I personally think it is un-American to claim that someone is un-American for voicing there concern about aspects of the constitution, which was the last line of the OPs definition.
So you're saying that it's OK for you to make a claim that other people can't make, because your way is right and their way is wrong.

That's perfect. It goes a long way to proving the OP's point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies