Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
liberal "tolerance"
I am a liberal. I am pretty far to the left. I do not agree with this. If I owned a coffee shop or food place, not only would the police be welcomed but if they were in uniform they would get their drinks FREE. Same with the firefighters, EMTs and military people. So don't paint with a big brush. I personally think this should be illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,931,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It was a German shepherd. It attacked me, I killed it in self defense.
OK, fine. So I'll take this a little more seriously than I did in my last post when I say to you:

The great thing about the police is that if somehow that dog was getting the better of you, or lets say it was more than one dog, if an officer could get to you he would save your life. Even if he ended up being attacked himself. And even if he knew how much you hated him. What could be so bad about someone that would do that for you?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Who knows the real story? The cop may have been know to the coffee shop owners as a jerk.

And I love how these wingers get on here and act all outraged at a cop being asked to leave....which is 100% legal.

But silence or defense of Rand Paul who thinks business's should be able to refuse service for being black which is currently 100% illegal.

Believe it or not they are consistent. If you are a minority or a liberal "not one of them"...it's OK to discriminate.

If you are a white cop...who they perceive as "one of them"....then not OK to discriminate.

All you need to ask yourself on what side of an issue these wingnuts will come down on? What is better for people "like them".

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who knows the real story. The cop may have been know to the coffee shop owners as a jerk.

And I love how these wingers get on here and act all outraged at a cop being asked to leave....which is 100% legal.

But silence when Rand Paul think business's can refuse service to blacks which is currently 100% illegal.
Nobody should refuse service to anyone. Especially in this economy. My favorite person to do business with will be the next person who says "Can I pay you now?" The answer is, of course, "Yes, please do."

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
Who knows the real story. The cop may have been know to the coffee shop owners as a jerk.

But silence when Rand Paul think business's can refuse service to blacks which is currently 100% illegal.
They BOTH should be 100% ILLEGAL. I do not agree with the "we reserve the right to refuse service" thing. That should be a thing of the past. If a business is OPEN and ACCESSIBLE to the general public (as opposed to a "for members only" place), the business should be required by LAW to serve ALL people who have the money for the service and who meet any requirements with respect to things like dress code that the business has. A business should not have the right to refuse service to anybody.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 PM

38,007 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
WTF?

Of course if some gangsta comes in to hold up the place, officer Crooker might be welcomed.

Progressivism run amok.

"....Crooker, 36, a 2-year veteran of the force, entered the Red & Black Café on May 18 and bought a cup of coffee before a customer approached him and said she appreciated his efforts.

That's when John Langley, one of the co-owners of the collectively managed shop, approached the cop and asked him to leave...."

"The coffee shop attracts homeless individuals and activists, the newspaper reported, and Wheat said it is known to be "not friendly" to officers who work the area.

"Most officers would know that this is not a coffee shop that's friendly to police," she said. "It's obviously discrimination to police. He works that area and he can't go in for a cup of coffee -- it's not fair."...

FOXNews.com - Oregon Police Officer Asked to Leave Vegan Coffee Shop
I can hear the conversation now: "Ummm, excuse me Mr. Policeman, but we cater to the criminal element, could you please leave so as not to drive away my clientele?"

Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
"we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" -- the business can't add "for any reason."

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
If you are a white cop...who they perceive as "one of them"....then not OK to discriminate.
Has it been determined that the cop is white? I didn't see a picture of him or anything in the article. Maybe I missed it or it was mentioned somewhere in a follow-up.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,905,859 times
what ? was he gnawing on a pig knuckle ? No joke intended. I can see asking him to stop eating meat there (his own sandwich) were he doing so, but the details are hazy and this news report sucks.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They BOTH should be 100% ILLEGAL. I do not agree with the "we reserve the right to refuse service" thing. That should be a thing of the past. If a business is OPEN and ACCESSIBLE to the general public (as opposed to a "for members only" place), the business should be required by LAW to serve ALL people who have the money for the service and who meet any requirements with respect to things like dress code that the business has. A business should not have the right to refuse service to anybody.
You want expansion of protected groups beyond race, color, religion as our Federal laws protect?

What other groups do you want included?

If I owned a coffee shop and this CD poster Hold The Beans was known to me.

( He posts that he hopes someone will kill Obama)

I should be compelled by law to do business with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies