Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

I work a few hours a week as a cashier in a large grocery store so I do have some knowledge on this subject. I have many customers that recieve food stamps/EBT and many people compain if they see a customer that is buying say lobster on EBT. My thought is they have every right to spend their food stamps on what they want. They only get certain amount of money so if they wish to spend it on expensive things that is their choice. I feel like some people are trying to say that a person that recieves EBT money has no right to dine on expensive food and that isn't really our right. Am I missing something?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I work a few hours a week as a cashier in a large grocery store so I do have some knowledge on this subject. I have many customers that recieve food stamps/EBT and many people compain if they see a customer that is buying say lobster on EBT. My thought is they have every right to spend their food stamps on what they want. They only get certain amount of money so if they wish to spend it on expensive things that is their choice. I feel like some people are trying to say that a person that recieves EBT money has no right to dine on expensive food and that isn't really our right. Am I missing something?????
1. This probably needs to be in political, as its not exactly a great debate.

2. Its because food stamps are supposed to help people either meet all of their nutritional needs. Which means, they don't have enough money to pay their rent, utilities, and other necessities, and then buy enough food to take care of them, and their family.

So, when someone is seen buying lobster with EBT cards, its likely that they don't actually need foodstamps to get buy, which means they are taking money from my pocket to live "high on the hog", so to speak.

I have long supported limitations on which brands, and what types of food can be bought. Name brand cereal, nope, buy the walmart brand. Name brand bread, nope, buy the cheap stuff. T-bones at 6 dollars a pound, nope, try sirloin at 3.

If they have a nutritional need for food that costs sometimes up to 15.99 a lb. You can buy a crap load of cereal for that amount of money, and mac and cheese, and other foods.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:40 PM

So you don't think EBT people should be concerned about buying healthy food? They also have a limited amount and if they spend it all on expensive food in the first week well then that is their problem. It sounds to me like you just want to punish a person on EBT. What is your feeling on an old or senior citizen using EBT? Are their days of eating good or expensive food over?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
So you don't think EBT people should be concerned about buying healthy food? They also have a limited amount and if they spend it all on expensive food in the first week well then that is their problem. It sounds to me like you just want to punish a person on EBT. What is your feeling on an old or senior citizen using EBT? Are their days of eating good or expensive food over?
No,

Whats healthy? Lobster in butter? Not really.

Tilapia, snapper, trout, catfish, all excellent food. Even shrimp is considerably cheaper than lobster, and quite good for you.

You can also buy produce, such as tomatoes, apples, oranges, lemons, all quite cheap.

I'm not trying to punish anyone, I just understand what EBT is for. Believe me, I know, I was once on federal assistance. I do much better now, and I eat a lot of things I never bought then either.

The nutritional needs of people are often meet with considerably less than what you're probably accustomed to.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:47 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
What they buy is fine with me.

It is the one that ask me if I want to BUY their food stamps makes me mad.

That happens to me frequently.

They say just take the card and use it, they get $.50 on the dollar.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No,

Whats healthy? Lobster in butter? Not really.

Tilapia, snapper, trout, catfish, all excellent food. Even shrimp is considerably cheaper than lobster, and quite good for you.

You can also buy produce, such as tomatoes, apples, oranges, lemons, all quite cheap.

I'm not trying to punish anyone, I just understand what EBT is for. Believe me, I know, I was once on federal assistance. I do much better now, and I eat a lot of things I never bought then either.

The nutritional needs of people are often meet with considerably less than what you're probably accustomed to.

You don't have to eat lobster with butter. What is your solution for older people? No expensive food for them every again????? That is cruel and sounds like you are demonizing the poor.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
You don't have to eat lobster with butter. What is your solution for older people? No expensive food for them every again????? That is cruel and sounds like you are demonizing the poor.
I guess thats your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

However, most rational thinking people can understand where I'm coming from.

No one needs to eat lobster. The food pyramid has a Plethora of items on each of its levels.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
If they are spending their money on lobster, than obviously they are enjoying a higher standard of living than most of us have to work for a living..

Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM

268 posts, read 454,085 times
It matters to me what they buy. I can't afford lobster, why should I buy someone else lobster?

In my experience, most people receiving food stamps don't actually need the assistance. So saying if they spend it all the first week, they're SOL, doesn't work. Anybody who truly relies on food stamps isn't going to buy lobster. They'll buy the cheap stuff because they don't want to starve to death. If they're just spend happy with it, it's probably because they have plenty of cash to buy food next week and so it's not a big deal.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Maybe it was a one time thing. Can't really say unless you see them doing it constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies