Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM

910 posts, read 2,220,972 times

Advertisements

When we were in Vero Beach in January, we stayed at the Surf Club Hotel (very nice and reasonable) but I noticed that the surf itself in that area was not, well, "surfable". The waves broke right at the shoreline. I don't know how anyone could actually surf (either standing or otherwise) along that stretch of beach. My question is, do the waves break differently in winter, or do they always break right at the shoreline in Vero Beach ? I know that Sebastian Inlet is a surfing area, but I was surprised at how relatively calm the ocean was at Vero. Can you surf in that area in summer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 AM

Still hoping for a reply on this one... Just curious, do most of the Vero Beach residents on this board not go to the beach very often ?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
When we were in Vero Beach in January, we stayed at the Surf Club Hotel (very nice and reasonable) but I noticed that the surf itself in that area was not, well, "surfable". The waves broke right at the shoreline. I don't know how anyone could actually surf (either standing or otherwise) along that stretch of beach. My question is, do the waves break differently in winter, or do they always break right at the shoreline in Vero Beach ? I know that Sebastian Inlet is a surfing area, but I was surprised at how relatively calm the ocean was at Vero. Can you surf in that area in summer ?
Actually waves break differently even at different times of the day. The beach is never exactly the same. Some days/weeks/months are better for surfing. Vero Beach is not actually known for its surfing. I think there is actually a man made reef there that does effect the waves negatively( seems like I read about it years ago). During hurricane season surfers pray for tropical storms and hurricanes to pass by Florida 200-500 miles off shore. As they go by they can make for the best waves of the year. Winter surf is the next best usually; but this year has not been really good for surfing.

Most people who surf down there probably head up to Sebastian Inlet or down to Jupiter Inlet if they want better waves. I don't remember seeing anyone surfing when we have been down at Golden Sands beach down in Vero.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks so much for the info ! I learned to surf when I was a teenager (MANY years ago) at Daytona Beach, and the waves broke far enough off the shoreline all along that area. So I was surprised that they broke right AT the shore in Vero. Not that I am likely to take up surfing again now that I am in my 50s... though I thought about getting a boogie board when we move there ! I will check out Sebastian Inlet the next time we visit (which will be when we are house-hunting, hooray !).

Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info ! I learned to surf when I was a teenager (MANY years ago) at Daytona Beach, and the waves broke far enough off the shoreline all along that area. So I was surprised that they broke right AT the shore in Vero. Not that I am likely to take up surfing again now that I am in my 50s... though I thought about getting a boogie board when we move there ! I will check out Sebastian Inlet the next time we visit (which will be when we are house-hunting, hooray !).

Don't give up on trying to surf again. Lots of "old dudes"
still surf-----there are even surf contests for""experienced surfers ". Doctor Lawyers Weekend Warriors surf contest.....not sure when it is this year-probably sometime in Sept. When ya get here you should get out and meet some other surfers.....boogie boarding is fun but once ya surf always a surfer-quote from my 34 year old son who surfs his lunch break on a regular basis.

Have you checked out the boards of today? Some now have 4 or 5 fins. You can add or subtract them when you want.

Did you surf short boards or long boards? Did you surf down at the inlet mostly? BTW Waves break on beach even in Daytona at times....that is why surfers go check them out and drive from beach to beach to find the beast sets.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Still hoping for a reply on this one... Just curious, do most of the Vero Beach residents on this board not go to the beach very often ?
I have neveer understood it, but not all residents are beach people. As a teacher I had kids in 4th and 5th grade who had never been to the beach. Their parents had different interests and just didn't take themto the beach. We sort of have always been the exception. Even though we don't live beachside we usually are on the beach 3-5 times a week. I used to be the mom who took all the neighbor kids with their boogy and surfboards to the beach. Now it is just my husband and I but we try to walk 3-5 miles every day I don't have to work(only working 2 or 3 days a week now) on our favorite beach. Unfortunately our favorite beach for finding sea glass(our excuse to go) has become a dog beach. I guess it will depend on how responsible the dog owners are for us to continue walking there-2 days before it was legal there was already dog poop on the beach. Grrr.
And it worries me that dog owners from other states will allow their dogs to dig and possibly not know they are destroying turtle nests in the area.
Unfortunately our dog isn't a good beach dog----he thinks it is his job to try and get every ghost crab on the beach.......and he doesn't feel comfortable with other dogs around so he won't be walking with us.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM

I learned to surf in the late 1960s, way before there were the ankle straps tying you to the board (safer, I know, but it still seems so odd to see them !). My brother taught me; he lived in Ormond Beach at the time and I was still at home in Kentucky, so my surfing experiences were brief. But oh how fun it was ! He had the standard sized board of that time, I guess it would be called a long board today, not sure. I even got the nerve to "hang five" one time ! Glad to hear there are still some middle-aged surfers around. I am looking forward to seeing the wave action at Sebastian Inlet, the next time we visit. My husband is looking forward to exploring the fishing spots in the area.

I can't imagine NOT going to the beach if I live that near it. The ocean is simply magic to me. When we visited in January, we stayed at the Surf Club Hotel on the beach, and it was a full moon at night. Talk about an amazing sight, the moonlight sparkling on the sea ! I was mesmerized.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I learned to surf in the late 1960s, way before there were the ankle straps tying you to the board (safer, I know, but it still seems so odd to see them !). My brother taught me; he lived in Ormond Beach at the time and I was still at home in Kentucky, so my surfing experiences were brief. But oh how fun it was ! He had the standard sized board of that time, I guess it would be called a long board today, not sure. I even got the nerve to "hang five" one time ! Glad to hear there are still some middle-aged surfers around. I am looking forward to seeing the wave action at Sebastian Inlet, the next time we visit. My husband is looking forward to exploring the fishing spots in the area.

I can't imagine NOT going to the beach if I live that near it. The ocean is simply magic to me. When we visited in January, we stayed at the Surf Club Hotel on the beach, and it was a full moon at night. Talk about an amazing sight, the moonlight sparkling on the sea ! I was mesmerized.
Sebastian is a state park so you have to pay to get in. They have annual passes, though. Fishing is good there too, so he can fish from the pier and you can surf. You two should love it down here. BTW I put some beach pictures on my profile page this month. Some are too large so you have to scroll to see them. I like to take pictures, but really am pretty lousy photographer. But I have fun trying .

Last edited by Rabflmom; 02-27-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,322 times
I can help you with this one, I grew up surfing in this area all my life. I was born and raised here.
Vero isn't much of a surfing town anymore, Hurricane Irene in '95 killed off the surf spots in Vero such as Tracking station, Seahorse, and the Vero Pier. That being said, you can still get good waves in Vero on big swells at Riomar reef, but it's fickle and only breaks on the right conditions.

Most of the surfing in this area is done at Wabasso beach during high tide and either Sebastian Inlet or Ft Pierce inlet during low tide. Vero is actually decidedly an anti-surfing town and it is difficult to find any real surf culture here.

If you are looking for a more surf oriented town, venture up to Melbourne, Indialantic, Satellite beach and Cocoa beach. The beaches are more readily accesible, there isn't that elitist gated community "I own it, and won't share" mentality of the communities starting in Vero and continuing down to Dade county.

As for the actual surf in Florida, in summer the Atlantic resembles a small pond, little to no surf- unless there is a cane or some tropical activity. Winter is consistent, but relies on Nor'Easter cold fronts to push swells here, problem is, the water can be freezing because of the same climatic conditions. So that leaves us with Fall/Spring, which tend to be our best times of the year for surf. The fall season is alive with late tropical activity an warm water, and stays busy with early season cold fronts pushing swell our way. The Spring is normally active during the March, April with late season fronts pushinf swell into the area, and the water is warm enough to go sans wetsuit for the first time in months.

As for swell direction, we can accept swell from any direction exept SE, we fall in the Bahamas shadow for swells from that direction. If a storm is sitting there, you either have to wait for it to clear the Northern Bahamas or venture north to Brevard county where you'l be out of the shadow of the Bahamas (This same phenomenon is why there is no waves in South Florida during NE swell normally and this area usually has something.) Most of our spots break well on E swell, and places like Riomar, Monster Hole are on fire during NE swells.

Good luck, and welcome, stop by Wabasso beach any weekend and you'll see plenty of surfing and activity. Bit of advice though, don't expect alot of friendliness there at first, we are regurally over run with visiting surfers from all over Florida and are a bit protective of the few good waves to be had! (The Disney resort next door has only exaserbated the problem.) If you decide to come back, which I hope you do, and once you become a regular seen face, you'll be welcome with open arms.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Dontez, thanks for all the great information !! I am really looking forward to living near the ocean - it's a lifelong dream of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach