Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM

207 posts, read 752,564 times

Advertisements

I am looking at homes on Orchid Isle in the area of Wabasso Road/A1A. If anyone has information--good or bad --about this location please respond. Does the Disney Resort bring alot of traffic to the area? Also, is there a shopping center on the island? How did this area do during the 2005 hurricane season?

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc07 View Post
I am looking at homes on Orchid Isle in the area of Wabasso Road/A1A. If anyone has information--good or bad --about this location please respond. Does the Disney Resort bring alot of traffic to the area? Also, is there a shopping center on the island? How did this area do during the 2005 hurricane season?

Thanks~
Orchid island is beautiful, quiet and understated. Zoning restrictions keep it that way. Disney doesn't affect traffic at all because of it's location, and the fact that it's a vacation club, not an amusement park. There's plenty of shopping on the island, but no real shopping center. You can go to Vero or Sebastian for that. The Island does have mandatory evacuations during hurricanes. I wasn't here for the hurricanes of 2004 but as per those I spoke to, it was mostly lost shingles and the type of water damage that would incur.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Harrywho is correct.....it is a beautiful area.....I would live there in a heart beat.....

Hurricanes are a part of living on the coast and unfortunately there was more than shingle damage during 2004. Our house was damaged by Francis, but Jeanne did a little more 2 weeks later when the plywood we put up after Francis, came off in Jeanne. We lived in 2 bedrooms and the kitchen for about 6 months waiting for and during the repairs. We were without lights and land line phone for 2 weeks. Thankfully they don't happen often. Since I have been here there have only been a few....David 1979, Erin 1995, Francis and Jeanne in 2004..... so we are probably due for one in the next few years...the warm Feb and warm Atlantic waters already are making us take notice.

If you do a search of Hurricane Francis and Jeanne damage in Orchid Island you can pull up some pictures.

Local News: West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County, Martin & St. Lucie Counties | The Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/shared/weather/storm/photos/jeanne/0928p1/16.html - broken link)

This one is a forum where locals are talking about the storms and many post pictures. Some are from Orchid Island

Hurricane Jeanne Damage Reports (Pictures) - Page 5 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Hurricane Jeanne~ Media Pictures: Florida

But don't let hurricanes be the determining factor-things happen everywhere.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM

37 posts, read 80,005 times
You might check into the cost of windstorm coverage which is in addition to regular homeowner's insurance. Not sure if it's even required there, but I can tell you from living in Palm Beach County (Palm Beach Gardens - east of I-95 and Alt. A1A), I was required to have it in addition to my homeowner's insurance. Unfortunately, the windstorm insurance company was Citizens - who raises their premiums every time you blink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach