Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM

148 posts, read 279,870 times

Advertisements

Good morning... just asking for a bit of advice pls.

Background: I live in a condo in Stuart, all paid off. My Mom and Dad have owned it about 25 years. I have been living in it since 1999, taking care of it and the expenses. They continued to commute as snowbirds until health issues prohibited them. My Dad became ill, dying in July. My mother has no intentions of coming to Florida anymore, neither permanently nor to visit. I want to move back to NJ, to be closer to family and to help her out (having a career which I can easily relocate anywhere). So, she needs to sell! My goal is to be up there by Thanksgiving or so.

Here are my questions.

1) I have been getting advice on realtors from everyone. How do I check out the credentials and past client satisfaction ratings or complaints of potential realtors? Is there a specific website?

2) I am in the process of cleaning out the condo now. Since the condo has lost so much value (it is worth about $12,000 than what they paid for it in 1987!!), I am reluctant to put in gobs of money for things new buyers will change anyway. Does a realtor advise you what really SHOULD/MUST be done when he/she meets with you?

3) I only wish to take limited furnishings up there...living room set, a dresser, some lamps, pictures, kitchen items, etc... But I am on the second floor and really do not want to get injured (or my friends either lol) moving a sofa or dresser. What is the best way...not necessarily the most economical way...to transport this stuff with limited hassle. My goal is to simply drive my two seater car up there myself with what little I can fit in it, and ship everything else.

4) Since I am busy and working nights until I actually move, I do not want the hassle of any repairs (if I do need some painting, carpets, etc) or actually trying to sell until after I leave. Basically, I was hoping to simply meet with a realtor, get his or her advice and sign with him/her, move on the target date, then have this realtor and any maintenance workers accomplish the rest after I am gone. Also, anything big which I am not taking I would like to throw out, consign, or donate after I am gone as well...Does this sound feasible? I realize it may not sell that quickly anyway.

I appreciate your advice in advance...

-carrob

Last edited by carrob; 09-27-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
The only thing you can check for by yourself is on line is at FREC- the Florida Real Estate Commission. That will only tell you any bad things they have done.. not good things. Go with a well known company first and you shouldn't have any problems. Use your gut feelings too - some people you get along with, some you don't.

To price your condo or any house, you need a list of comparable sales of other apts (like yours) in your community for the last 6 months to get an average sale price. List it accordingly.....and dont be the highest on the market.

As far as your Realtor taking care of all the fix up after you leave -- get whoever you want to use for paint /repairs etc to give you a price on what needs to be done and arrange payment. You can ask the Realtor to do things for you, and I do have someone for just about everything that would be needed, but you need to be the one who says ..I want this and this ....plus be the one who pays for it.

The furniture..just hire a moving company -they will come and pack it up and transport it. Get bids up front for a flat fee. Do all of your throwing out and donating now. You'd be surprised at what you forgot you had.

I just moved myself...and I am sure the garbage men love me as I left numerous things to be hauled away --numerous times! lol!.....still unpacking and putting away....

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM

148 posts, read 279,870 times
Thank you FlaLadyB for the advice! Now to decide on a realtor...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,647 times
I think you just did LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach