Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM

54 posts, read 86,709 times

Advertisements

Just bought a home here. Was here many many times before we actually moved in. Talked to the neighbors several times about noise problems and nothing was ever mentioned. when we actually moved in and went to bed is when we heard the train. I asked the neighbors how long it took them to get used to the noise and they responded What train? I guess I will get used to it as I have no choice. Any suggestions? Good earplugs perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 PM

193 posts, read 405,076 times
Hello,
You can get used to the sound of a train. When I was a kid in school (3rd to 6th grade) we lived a half block from the train tracks. We moved away and could not sleep because we missed the trains. Two years later my parents bought a house right beside the train tracks. The house shook when the train went by. It's not a problem unless you make it a problem.
I enlisted in the US Navy and made it a career. I slept good on ships. The background sounds of the sea water swishing by the hull of the ship, the throb of the engines, and the faint whine of generators make living on a ship a unique experience.
Make this as positive an experience as you can for your family. Good Luck to you.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks I'm working on it. It's not the trains itself but the horns.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Get an air machine that puts out white noise. We have one and you could fire off a cannon outside my house and I'd never know it!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Where do you get an air machine?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
A few months and you won't notice it unless it's not there.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM

403 posts, read 1,079,278 times
My sister lives a few blocks away from Los Angeles International Airport. Every 30 seconds or so a jumbo jet lands or takes off and after 30 minutes you can't hear it anymore. LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Go to any Target/Walmart/etc. and find an air purifier. The cheaper ones make the most noise. We have them in our kids' bedrooms as well.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
We use an air purifier for white noise, it works great. We use the lowest level and it is plenty loud, at the far end of the room from the beds. Ours is by Holmes, and is a slender "tower" design about 3 feet tall.

How close are the tracks to your house ? I agree, the horn would be quite irritating ! I am going to make a note to look out for railroad tracks when we are house-hunting in Vero (I think our map shows them, though).

My grandmother lived next to the railroad tracks and I can remember the house shaking when a train went by. This was back in the days when trains had cabooses, and I would go out in the back yard and yell "Blow the whistle" when the caboose went by. They usually did. Ah, childhood memories !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach