Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 14,707 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are looking to relocate ,retire in vero beach.
i cant seem to find any new construction single family homes
that are not in private communities.
any information or suggestions would be great. we plan to
start looking after christmas /new years
thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Well speaking for Vero area in Indian River County....NO.

What price range??

Are there some going up where you live now? Just curious.

A builder is not going to spend all that money paying the county fees and costs for a street of random houses now. Our county has joined the other MORONS around the country creating "growth restrictions", "planning boards" and other costly government impositions, regulations, constraints and expenses that have boosted the prices of housing so high, nobody can afford to build or buy unless it's done in that manner. While there are SIGNS UP for parcels for sale...like 4 acres, 10 acres etc you never see anyone buying them and building a limited small number of homes on them in MY experience. Any time you hear "PLANNING" hold on to your wallet. AND your house.

Besides, Florida was hit HARD in the housing bust so they are JUST NOW starting the building of the HOAS or finishing off those which were halted.

So no, you're not going to find much if any "new construction" that is not in a community. All the houses that I work in that are not part of a formal HOA were built in the [mostly early] 1990s. In fact most of them are paying the same taxes as then, too.

NOW, perhaps they will decide over the years to disband the "HOA" but for now? NO.

Perhaps a random house here or there on a lot that was up for sale. And that would generally not be in the same price range of your average HOA house where they get the economies of scale.

All the tree hugging Floridians who voted YES on Amendment ONE to let the state buy UP private property with their tax dollars for NO MARKETABLE TITLE under the scam called "conservation" are about to learn just how important your question really IS.

For now, their heads' are in the clouds dreaming about a bunch of crooked/incompetent politicians being capable of doing "something" for manatees and algae. If they WERE competent they would already have a PLAN not a "DREAM" and they'd at least issue BONDS to address the properties with improvements to the issue they are going to claim are so CRITICAL without having to put it in the stupid state Constitution to allow them to REMOVE THE PRIVATE PROPERTY off the private market entirely. Boosting the prices of the remaining 50% therein. I have YET to hear any reason at ALL where the state deserves to OWN 50% of the people's land. Where the PEOPLE get no interest in it, no less. I mean, really, it's Kindergarten MATH/ECONOMICS.

It's also in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to the history of this country, the strong value put on private property including James Madison and Abraham Lincoln just to name two of them who understood the value of THE HOMESTEAD ACTS. And it's SO HILARIOUS that Florida USED TO TAKE PRIDE in it's strong homestead protections.

Like when they build Woodfield the builder had to PROMISE to keep part of it an "ESTUARY". HA HA HA

Some ESTUARY! They go through there regularly spraying that SMALL AREA with pesticides and crap killing off all the wild life and naturalized plant life. And I CALLED THE EPA who didn't give a rat's butt.

So CONGRATS! Suckers. You spent $450,000 for the expensive stupid 2200 sq foot house that would have cost $150,000 in Texas. With an "ESTUARY" that is now nothing more than a bunch of grass. That has a bunch of landscapers traipsing through it once a month spraying your neighborhood with toxins.

Your best bet may be to look at the building permits issued by the county but I'm not too sure how easy or hard that would be - it's something I haven't ventured into.

You can also call some custom builders to ask your question. I suppose it's possible some may be building spec houses but like I said, probably expensive ones. Or properties that the OWNER BUYER already bought to develop privately.

irccdd.com | Building Division Permits and Applications

I was in THIS neighborhood where I work just yesterday and saw this vacant lot has a sign on it. You'd of course have to find your own builder. It's a good street and everyone does their thing in a good section of town. Just as an example.

If you use the arrow and move right you'll see the lot There's no sign on the google photo but the sign is ReMax

4240 61st Avenue, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

They just decided to annex a HUGE bunch of acreage TO Fellsmere and I haven't kept up on the "plan" if any, but maybe up that way there's something going on that isn't "HOA" but I doubt it. I read that the majority of building permits in the county were >$300,000 so that's telling you custom OR HOA.

Lastly, I work in a ton of these non HOA houses and if they are older they are also VERY VERY NICE. And THAT's what I'd be looking at. IE Sylvan Lakes. The "lakes" are HUGE (by HOA standards) and it's peaceful and beautiful and the people seem great. Only a couple of streets. PLUS the "Property Owners Association" seems to have just put down new asphalt instead of letting it deteriorate. A property owners association is a loosely defined group of residents (if not all) willing to spend the time and effort into coordinating things for the common welfare - maintenance wise or whatever.

3924 58th Circle, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

I think they have FOUR homes up for sale or maybe even five. All different styles. I don't think this neighborhood (about 12 years old) was all built by the same builder.

Now that our prices have crept back up, people are willing to look to sell. Like this one:

Scroll down for comps

3912 58th Circle, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

3924 58th Circle, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

3944 58th Circle, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

3942 58th Circle, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

I realize people are ALL wanting NEW construction but for the life of me, I don't know WHY.

Those neighborhoods are crowded and small and these older ones are much prettier with better lots and atmosphere, TBH.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-15-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 05:21 PM

thanks scissors , the older homes do have bigger lots and the nicer
setbacks from the curb . my thinking was new construction has cheaper
homeowners insurance because of the updated building codes but i dont really know .
i also was thinking there could be a property tax break with an hoa since the township or county
dosen't have to maintain the roads or sidewalks . all in all i dont think i could live
with somebody saying i cant park my pickup in my driveway .

also i am looking at 125 to 165 k not 300,000
thanks for the links

Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splice56 View Post
thanks scissors , the older homes do have bigger lots and the nicer
setbacks from the curb . my thinking was new construction has cheaper
homeowners insurance because of the updated building codes but i dont really know .
i also was thinking there could be a property tax break with an hoa since the township or county
dosen't have to maintain the roads or sidewalks . all in all i dont think i could live
with somebody saying i cant park my pickup in my driveway .

also i am looking at 125 to 165 k not 300,000
thanks for the links
You very well could be right about the insurance, I don't know. BUT the big thing is the roof. The new code is called Miami Dade standard so you'd want to check that in a resale and yes, not all of them are block some are frame so I guess that will be higher insurance.

OK good to know your range. There are singles in that range, too. If I see anything interesting I"ll let you know.

So there are only a couple in your range new construction, I think.

Did you ask about Lexington? They are finishing that new construction NOW. The HOA next door Serenoa you can park trucks but will they fit? (Serenoa is not in your range, just sayin'...)

Lexington:

375 Lexington Avenue SW, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

Examples of RESALES:

This one in Country Pines NEXT STREET DOWN from the one I posted you with the lot. Just as an example. Pretty much EVERY SINGLE HOUSE on those streets has trucks. And RVs etc.

It's NOT NEW, NO. Just so you can see the driveway and nice yard, pool, and ACTUAL two garage doors LOL.

4225 60th Court, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

I work in Lindsay Lanes every day. In fact my client's neighbor on the same street has a house going up for sale soon that was a foreclosure bank owned but NICE and not beat up. I met the realtor last week.

They have a small HOA for the common lawns. $75.00 per quarter. No gate or anything.

This one *PICKUP in the Trulia pic LOL:

4825 50th Ave, Vero Beach, FL 32967 - Zillow

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...Beach-FL-32967

4825 50th Avenue, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

For SAle by owner with pool there - next development over Shannon's Walk. Hmmm That yard looks nice I'll have to drive by. LOL. The back of the property faces a HUGE wooded parcel but it is for sale from what I remember. Price just reduced:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/47...66742620_zpid/

THIS one there was also in your range. Sold in the low end of your range in June. Some have pools some don't. PICKUP in the driveway LOL.

4835 50th Avenue, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

I've seen this house in Shannon's Walk the next development over. It's adorable. 148K But that driveway? It just depends on if your truck(s) fit.

4722 51st Court, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

Oh well, you'll just have to keep looking and I like Trulia for that. For resales. Good luck!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-15-2014 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM

910 posts, read 2,218,309 times
New construction homes are NOT cheap. A builder is putting up a spec house across the street from us. It will be the same size as ours, with a pool (like ours) but NOT with the waterview that we have. We paid $255k for our house a year ago. They are asking $378k for this new construction. WAY more than it is worth, IMHO. We are in an HOA, by the way - but I don't think that has an affect on the price. The point is, you will get a LOT more for your money by buying an older house ! Just stay with one built in this century, and it will meet most (if not all) of the building codes.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Default They are asking $378k for this new construction. WAY more than it is worth, IMHO

I agree, the builders are getting silly again with their prices because of the upturn in the market. If prices continue to rise this fast, we're going to have the same mess that occurred 5 years ago.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:00 PM

thanks everyone for the responses and links.
iv'e also noticed prices rising on new construction from my online
searches.looks like i will have to buy an REO foreclosure to get a 2006 or newer thats not in an HOA

Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 AM

15 posts, read 18,276 times
runswithscissors could you please DM me with your business info? Moving to the area next month with three large dogs.

Sorry for off topic reply.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splice56 View Post
thanks everyone for the responses and links.
iv'e also noticed prices rising on new construction from my online
searches.looks like i will have to buy an REO foreclosure to get a 2006 or newer thats not in an HOA

NO!

That other thread is a bunch of misconceptions. I went to three HOAS of new construction today and ALL of them have NO PROBLEM with a pickup 24 hours a day in your DRIVEWAY.

They have to be not commercial: No advertising, no ladders and stuff hanging off.

IF they are commercial you can park in your garage.

The ONE that I think is in your range is the one I said: Lexington. The other two were Ashley North and Vero Lago.

They're NICE!

The guy looked up the current ones (rancher) and it would be 162,000 including wooden blinds and your hurricane shutters (which I was unaware were code now). AND granite and stuff that is normally upgrades elsewhere.

I took a TON OF PICS and will update that other thread since it's too exhausting for me to crosspost LOL. hERE'S A FEW FOR NOW.

//www.city-data.com/forum/port-...ch-2015-a.html

All that being said you'd be hard pressed to drive down ANY STREET In beautiful Vero Beach and not see pickups, SUVs, boats, golf carts, motorcycles RVs etc.

Some "feel like" an HOA community because it's just a cul de sac or one street or two OR random traditional streets. That includes the VERY EXPENSIVE high end houses on the beach.

Like this little ranch which is about a half million $. Besides, MATURE neighborhoods have LANDSCAPING that soften the appearances of a ton of stuff outside but people do not mind because we are a BOATING and RECREATIONAL community.

The differences are A FEW HOAS have SOME limitations.

So it seems to ME the OTHER PEOPLE with drama are being a bit unfair to the FEW HOAS who want calming in their community. OR not having trucks overhanging the SIDEWALKS!

Lexington:

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-17-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM

NOTE:

My rant on the "ESTUARY?

See this SIGN?

I says NOTHING ABOUT NO SPRAYING or other forms of NON-CONSERVATIONAL actions.

Because people REALLY DON'T WANT TO LIVE around ESTUARIES and 'WETLAND PRESERVES" LOL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach