Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 29,851 times

Advertisements

We need some advice....we've been looking (through realtors and the web) at homes in different subdivisions such as Trillium, Westfield, Ashley, etc. We currently live in north Georgia in a newer subdivision with an HOA. We understand all HOA's are different but my realtor just told me that you could not park a truck in your driveway at Trillium! More specifically, she said you could not have a truck if it wasn't kept in your garage!! Seriously!! My husband has a Dodge Dooley 3500 that is nearly brand new. I can't imagine living somewhere that people don't have nice trucks in their driveways here and there. Am I missing something? Sure would like to hear from anyone there in Vero that could advise us on what areas to look for houses. We are interested in newer, 200K, latest hurricane code, well-built, safe neighborhood, etc. We've been told to stay away for VLE. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SandKat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Default I can't imagine living somewhere that people don't have nice trucks in their driveways here and there. Am I missing som

Welcome to some HOAs in Florida. I know of some Condo Ass. that have the same restrictions. No trucks of any kind overnight. They are allowed in during daylight hours. Silly- get the big bad guy(pickups) out before dark. As we say all the time, READ, the documents BEFORE you buy or life will stink after you move.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM

910 posts, read 2,220,648 times
We live in the gated (HOA) community of The Preserve in Vero Beach, and non-commercial trucks ARE allowed to be parked in driveways here.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I realize I've got a good agent as she brought the truck situation to my attention when I would not have even thought there would be a problem. I certainly will read all the HOA rules before putting in an offer on a home. We are trying do learn as much as possible before coming down in a few months so we can narrow down the communities we will be visiting. I'm putting "The Preserve" on my list -- Thanks....any others?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:45 AM

910 posts, read 2,220,648 times
The Preserve would meet a lot of your criteria - the houses were built in 2005-2006. Our location is great, on the south side of downtown (3 miles away) and only a 10 -15 minute drive to the beach. It's a smaller HOA, only 144 houses, and the fee is $81 a month (for upkeep of common areas and individual lawn irrigation).

Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
No you're not missing anything. So you haven't' actually BEEN to these subdivisions?

Have you BEEN TO TRILLIUM? It's SMALL! Some STREETS you won't even be able to easily go two ways past a big truck turning around the corner LOL.

I work in all the different HOAs and their bylaws are different so, yes you have to ask each one. I think the success rate in court varies by case. Also, some neighborhoods tend to park their vehicles in the driveways no matter what even if they have garages. I guess the garages are full of crap or something.

If you google the topic you can see various cases that went to court and the disposition and the COST.

Is it ONLY for personal use or commercial use? (for example) Is it HUGE or a normal size or the size of an average SUV (for example)

EADY: Parking restrictions must be clear - Real Estate

You may want to be more concerned with if that truck will even FIT In the driveway conveniently. It's pretty big, right? Some driveways are really small IMO.

Is that your ONLY vehicle?

You will REALLY have to be cautious if you have TWO vehicles and think you're going to fit them side by side with that truck IMO.

I don't claim to know about trucks but this article said THIS:

Quote:
But people need duallies. In the rough-and-tumble world of pickups, behemoths like the Dodge Ram 3500 with dual rear wheels on both sides (hence "dually") are the kings of the hill, the go-to vehicles for towing and hauling huge loads up said hill. When you're pulling a Bayliner, a racecar, that new fifth-wheel Coachman or a few relatives of Secretariat, you need a dually.
Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Review - Research New & Used Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Models | Edmunds

I didn't see anything called "Dodge Dooley 3500" but I assume it's this one. ^^

My advise is to look at subdivisions with more loose HOAs, too, and not as many amenities or NO HOA. The people at Ashley VOTED to not fund a POOL. So all you get is the gate.

There are properties and neighborhood with LONG driveways and TONS of trucks up and down the street. Like Meadowlark Woods TYPE down the street from Ashley. NOT brand new but much bigger and much better driveways. So if you really want the traditional HOA with amenities you'll need a list from your realtor of the ones with OK for trucks. BUT DOUBLE CHECK THE SIZE before you get aggravated with parking in a small driveway.

EXAMPLE: LOL LOOK: A PICKUP on the google earth grab hahaha. Pickup trucks are VERY POPULAR in Florida. People working, towing boats etc.

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...Beach-FL-32967
\
I've been working in a beautiful neighborhood all week with not much of an HOA, if any...and EVERY SINGLE TIME I try and back out of my client's house with the trash can on the FAR side of the driveway I almost hit it. (trash day is tomorrow LOL) And I only drive a little Scion XB (the mailtruck looking car)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-12-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 PM

Default RunsWithScissors

First, thank you for your very helpful and informative reply. You make some very good points.

Yes, we've been to Vero but not to many of the subdivisions...we did some driving around on our own but now, back home in Ga., we are having to use Zillow and work with an agent (our 3rd).

We currently live in a small (48 homes) HOA subdivision with a LOT of rules. My husband's truck will fit in our small driveway (he backs it in - I don't know how he does that) and my small S-10 pick-up can sit right next to it. We have a third vehicle, an Equinox which I keep in our garage.

My husband usually parks his truck at the club house and walks to our house. We have a very short driveway so that is the reason. Everywhere else we have lived, he just parked the truck in the driveway. No problem, its a nice, newer, clean truck.

As far as maneuvering the truck around, if anyone can, it would be him. As soon as we drove in any subdivision, I'm sure he'd know if it would work or not. We can only see a small picture on the web so we are having to rely on all the help we can get from people who live in the subdivisions and our agent.

We are trying to look at homes with a longer driveway and/or a turned garage. Now that I've been informed that some HOA's do not allow trucks in the driveway, I'm having to add that as an obstacle. Seriously, what do people use to pull their boats? Anyway, there's no lettering on the truck and it's a personal vehicle.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. You have something there in that we might have an easier time with an HOA that supports a smaller subdivision with fewer amenities. I will definitely have to read the HOA documents closely before we make an offer.

SandKat

Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKat View Post
First, thank you for your very helpful and informative reply. You make some very good points.

Yes, we've been to Vero but not to many of the subdivisions...we did some driving around on our own but now, back home in Ga., we are having to use Zillow and work with an agent (our 3rd).

We currently live in a small (48 homes) HOA subdivision with a LOT of rules. My husband's truck will fit in our small driveway (he backs it in - I don't know how he does that) and my small S-10 pick-up c
an sit right next to it. We have a third vehicle, an Equinox which I keep in our garage.

My husband usually parks his truck at the club house and walks to our house. We have a very short driveway so that is the reason. Everywhere else we have lived, he just parked the truck in the driveway. No problem, its a nice, newer, clean truck.

As far as maneuvering the truck around, if anyone can, it would be him. As soon as we drove in any subdivision, I'm sure he'd know if it would work or not. We can only see a small picture on the web so we are having to rely on all the help we can get from people who live in the subdivisions and our agent.

We are trying to look at homes with a longer driveway and/or a turned garage. Now that I've been informed that some HOA's do not allow trucks in the driveway, I'm having to add that as an obstacle. Seriously, what do people use to pull their boats? Anyway, there's no lettering on the truck and it's a personal vehicle.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. You have something there in that we might have an easier time with an HOA that supports a smaller subdivision with fewer amenities. I will definitely have to read the HOA documents closely before we make an offer.

SandKat
They use a truck or SUV to tow the boat. Bear in mind these are people on the BUDGET PLAN who don't DOCK THE BOAT. If they can't park it in the driveway they park it somewhere else or don't live there.

OK SO. You should look at Citrus Springs and ASK IF YOU CAN PARK in the "storage lot" which allows boats, RV etc. IT's in the SOUTH Citrus Springs community on the Oslo entrance.

You are NOT going to find a new house around here with garage big enough for those three vehicles IMO. Even a three car is actually small-ish for three cars and you'd be parking with inches between them and couldn't get OUT OF THE CAR.

Ashley has three car garages as do others. But my clients there have two regular cars that pretty much fill it up. Where are you going to keep your trashcans, for example. OUTSIDE?

I am SHOCKED that your HOA allows him to park it at the clubhouse. That will NOT FLY HERE! You said it fits in the driveway but he parks in the HOA lot. Is that because it HANGS OVER THE SIDEWALK OR STREET?

What if all 200 residents needed that? Why does ONE resident get special privileges yada yada. That being said there are a couple of CONDO communities on the beach with open lot parking first come first serve "guest parking" but that is not standard. Most condos have numbered spaces with one extra or so for guests but the RESIDENTS work it out TOGETHER. Just like in my HOA the atrium furniture rules are up to the 3 neighbors sharing the atrium. But we DO HAVE parking rules. You HAVE TO.

Are you an OWNER or a TENANT there?

I ask because normally, owners have a different point of view than renters. Renters "make due" by pushing boundaries.

It's not about if he's CAPABLE of maneuvering around. It's about the OTHER PEOPLE living there.

You have to look at it THIS WAY:

When I come out of my little house in Trillium and look (or drive) down the block or sit on my front porch to enjoy my beautiful new neighborhood DO I WANT TO SEE ESSENTIALLY A GIANT PARKING LOT UP AND DOWN THE STREET with vehicles after vehicles blocking my view or whatever?

The reason they allow trucks in the daytime is people need service etc. They are there temporarily.

I have a code to get in Trillium's gate and passed by yesterday but I don't like using my client's codes without their permission and they weren't home so I didn't go in but it is DEFINITELY not big enough to meet your needs. ONE CAR pretty much fills up the driveway but in parts, there ARE a couple of double "wide" properties. It seems to depend on the lot in most communities. I work for people In Serenoa with a big truck and it does fit in the driveway. Serenoa is nice, too. But you still have ONE VEHICLE that won't fit anywhere but you could park the Equinox there. That's an SUV, right?

The people across the street pretty much only fit ONE car in THEIR driveway.

Serenoa is SMALLER than Trillium and as far as the streets, they CURVE they aren't laid out in a grid as much on his street, too.

If you want me to cruise by a property or development just ask. I love househunting and as a dog walker I'm in my car all day long LOL.

P.S. You may have better luck with Trulia than Zillow.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-14-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Trillium garage open with an Suv and GOLF CART filling up the garage

3237 Sussex Way, Vero Beach FL For Sale - Trulia

IMO you should move here and RENT while you look for the "right neighborhood". Everybody should.

There are a TON of subdivisions your stuff would fit - but not so much the gated ones.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM

I took some HILARIOUS driveway photos for you today but I'm too tired to post them. Maybe tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach