Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 AM

472 posts, read 667,979 times

Advertisements

My house has a big yard and my mother wants to raise some chicken. She said the eggs laid by chicken will be more than enough for the whole family and the chicken poop is good for gardening. I am not very sure about raising chicken however it is good for my mother has something to do so she won't complain to me all the time. My yard is big so that I don't have to worry about neighbors complaining. Anybody knows any chicken farm around PSL or fort pierce where I can get some good looking chickens with nice feather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Check your local ordinance to know how many you can have in any.

Anthony Westbury: Backyard chickens not so over-easy in Port St. Lucie - TC Palm

Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 AM

217 posts, read 371,752 times
City of PSL Code

https://www.municode.com/library/fl/...IGEPR_S92.01DE

Sec. 92.05. - Prohibited animals.
(1)
It shall be unlawful to permit permanent housing of captive wildlife animals as defined in section 92.01 in the city limits except pursuant to a permit issued therefore by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
(2)
It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly keep any animal having a contagious or infectious disease within the corporate limits of the city.
(3)
Farm animal. It is prohibited to keep within the corporate limits of the city or to run at large within the city limits, any farm animal as defined in section 92.01, except in areas zoned as agricultural districts.

92.01 definition of farm animal: Fowl. Any live chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese, guineas, pea fowl, and pheasant.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 AM

228 posts, read 247,158 times
If your within city limits, no chickens period by ordinance. If you are not or you are a rebel, build a chicken tractor (google it) order a few HENS ONLY from IDEAL poultry or CACKLE or backyard chickens has some list of hatcheries that sell smaller lots, or wait until early spring next year and check whatever farm stores are in the area (farm king or tractor supply etc. or any feed mill) and you can buy HENS. DO NOT BUY ANY ROOSTERS PURPOSELY IF YOU ARE TRACTORING as they are loud and will give you away if your trying to hide them. Regarding the poop as fertilizer, do not put it straight onto a garden or use any teas from it until it has been properly composted, chicken poop is ultra high in nitrogen and will burn your plants and possibly increase bacteria such as salmonella or botulism. i fyou are only tractoring 3-4 hens you will not have to worry much, just move the tractor every day or 2, but if you get a build up or you scoop it to compost, you can mix it with what is known as a brown (potash/potassium etc) such as ash from lump charcoal (not briquettes like match lite, actual hardwood lump) or fireplace ash, shredded paper, dead dry leaves etc. generally you mix in 2:1 or 3:1 brown to green (more shredded paper than poop/wet stuff like kitchen scraps) as to egg output, for south florida you will want production reds or road island reds, or anything with BUFF in the name as those are generally the most heat tolerant while having good production.

Good luck, if enough folks push to get city chickens approved, then maybe we can make a difference and have our home chickens and home gardens etc. Personally however given the nature of folks in PSL/VERO etc. I would suggest just doing meat rabbits in the garage/back yard in cages such as New zealand whites/silver foxes/california giants etc. if you do decide to do any of the above and have questions, send me a message ill help where I can.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Personally however given the nature of folks in PSL/VERO etc. I would suggest just doing meat rabbits in the garage/back yard in cages such as New zealand whites/silver foxes/california giants etc.
Stop conflating "Vero" with PSL. They are not even in the same county OR MSA.

The City of Vero Beach, in Indian River County, is 11 sq miles. The city of PSL is 77 sq miles.

Indian River County is not even contiguous to PSL. PSL is further down, below Ft. Pierce.

I do a daily directly next door to a family with turkeys gobbling and there are MANY MANY houses with chickens. I've already posted about the turkeys when suggesting neighborhoods for people on the OTHER thread with the PHOTOS. Nobody complains about those turkeys they think they're funny because the only talk when they see people.

Indian River County allows chickens.

'Urban chicken movement' is sweeping Indian River County - TC Palm

http://www.tcpalm.com/opinion/polls/...in-urban-areas

Chickens are prohibited within the city limits of Vero Beach. Vero Beach accounts for 10% of the population and 3% of the land area in Indian River County - MSA. The MSA that people ALWAYS call "VERO" unless they're in the cities of Sebastian or Fellsmere.

Furthermore, "Vero" is an EXTENSIVE historical agricultural and livestock community. We have FARMS with livestock in the middle of every area including mini horses in a back yard on the city limit boundary at 12th st at 6th. INCLUDING directly next to the infamous Indian Oaks HOA. And a bunch of OTHER HOAs.

Ft Pierce market, VERO farm

http://www.dentranch.com/

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-07-2015 at 03:56 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 PM

So how did anything you went on about change my statement regarding being in the city limits of PSL and vero beach city liimits? The nature of the people is what I have gathered from multiple forums and news stories, and people who take a million pictures of people doing awful things like parking on their lawn, planting flowers, etc. while not only seeming to reflect an unhappy life, reflect the type of person in an area, people so concerned over other peoples business and not concerned enough about yheir own, so sad to see folks so un happy with themselves that they behave like that, really sad, I'd feel bad for 'em if i didn't think they knew how absurd they seem.

I compare the areas because this forum covers them, I imagine there is some diversity, but the original poster never said she lived in a properly zoned area such as AA or RA/RR or what ever terms FL uses for AG/rural residential, if she had I would have told her to use murray hatecheries and order 15+ chickens of multiple breeds cause a confetti flock is best.

Last edited by Cryinsham30; 07-05-2015 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: et statement i didnt like

Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 AM

115 posts, read 204,216 times
why are oranges so expensive in Florida? they're much cheaper up north.. its ridiculous..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
So how did anything you went on about change my statement regarding being in the city limits of PSL and vero beach city liimits? The nature of the people is what I have gathered from multiple forums and news stories, ...snip

I compare the areas because this forum covers them, I imagine there is some diversity, but the original poster never said she lived in a properly zoned area such as AA or RA/RR or what ever terms FL uses for AG/rural residential, if she had I would have told her to use murray hatecheries and order 15+ chickens of multiple breeds cause a confetti flock is best.
And that would be INCORRECT, because you're admittedly NOT familiar with the zoning and even in counties with permissible residential back yard chickens, you are not allowed 15. More like 2-5 MAX.

How did my post change your statement(s)? Because you’re giving wrong information and I think you are confused and conflated two VASTLY DIFFERENT areas by saying:

Personally however given the nature of folks in PSL/VERO

You weren't disparaging people specifically within the Vero Beach city limits – nobody does. Most newcomers don't even know there's an official city with boundaries until they become property owners and even THEN they don't "get it".

And all the HOAS that have been discussed here, including Indian Oaks that you posted a lot on, are NOT within the city limits. There are barely ANY HOAs in the city limits anyway – mostly at the beach and mostly condos.

How would you know anything about the nature of “folks in Vero” since you don’t live here? OR the area since you don’t realize 86% of our population ARE PERMITTED chickens and other animals.

In St Lucie County – 75% of the population is prohibited from chickens. 97 sq miles prohibited.

In Indian River County – 86% ARE PERMITTED CHICKENS. Only 15 sq miles are prohibited (cities of Vero and Fellsmere).

PSL/Ft Pierce represent the MAJORITY of the St Lucie County population.

City Vero Beach and Fellsmere represent only 13% of the Indian River County population and the MSA CALLED VERO BEACH/SEBASTIAN MSA.

Maybe you’re not familiar with the concept of the MSA, wherein only certain parts are cities and the other parts are towns, CDPS/unincorporated.

The CITY of Port St. Lucie is LARGER than our entire County.

In St Lucie County, At least 75% of the people live in cities and are NOT allowed to have chickens.

In Indian River County, only 29% live in cities and only 13% of those are not allowed to have chickens. Specifically City of Vero Beach and Fellsmere - only 13% of the population.

St Lucie County Population is 291,000.

Cities:

Port St Lucie 171,000
Ft. Pierce 43,000
Total: 214,000 = 75% (25% is unincorporated)

75% PROHIBITS CHICKENS

Indian River County Population is 150,000.

Cities:

Vero Beach 15,000 doesn’t allow chickens
City of Sebastian 22,000 ALLOWS CHICKENS
Fellsmere 5,300 doesn’t allow chickens
Total: 42,300 = 28% (72% is unincorporated)

14% PROHIBITS CHICKENS

Therefore, PSL is NOTHING LIKE “Vero”. In any way. Especially in terms of which area is more chicken-friendly.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-10-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammylovesu View Post
why are oranges so expensive in Florida? they're much cheaper up north.. its ridiculous..
People often claim food is cheaper up North. It's always being debated.

Publix has bags for $4.00 for 4 lbs.

This week Publix has 3 pints of blueberries for 5.00 yet Pathmark up North has them for 1.99 per pint in their circular.

It's usually helpful to post EXAMPLES instead of just perceptions, IMO. PLUS it's not specific to this subforum but Florida in general.

Maybe up North they've magically created a citrus industry so it's cheaper there? LOL Vero Beach has a daily news magazine on the radio AM1490 at 8 AM and 5PM where various guests talk about it - specifically the citrus group here who also has to lobby politicians. Like the state funding change taking away $250,000 this year's budget at the Florida Welcome Centers free orange juice program so the Citrus Council is going to pick up the tab. And especially in Wash, DC.

Like Dan Richey - Florida Citrus Commission Chairman FROM VERO BEACH - Riverfront Packing Company - who speaks at hearings in Washington -

https://agriculture.house.gov/sites/...chey120508.pdf

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...4,197904&hl=en

If you google the orange industry you'll see many problems. It's a major big deal and terrible economic hit to Florida's economy. Compounded by people cutting back on juice/fruits because of sugar and diabetes awareness.

Orange Juice Reaches Highest Price in Two Years - WSJ

Orange Woes, Higher Prices - Barron's

How America fell out of love with orange juice - Quartz

Also, importation from South America occurs "up North".

FDA tests Brazilian orange juice at Port Newark after fungicide scare | NJ.com

And it's not just oranges that have a problem. Have you bought limes or lemons lately?

In Mexico And U.S., Lime Lovers Feel Squeezed By High Prices : The Salt : NPR

Quote:
A combination of factors has affected Mexican production. Heavy rains late last year in the states of Michoacan, Guerrero and Veracruz hurt the crop. And in Colima, a big lime-producing state, a bacterium is infecting trees.

With supply tight at home, exports across the border are getting more and more expensive.

"This year, we are in unchartered waters with limes, says Raul Millan of New Jersey-based Vision Import Group. "I've never seen limes at these prices."

Millan says he can still recall a time when a 40-pound box of the so-called Mexican Persian variety went for as little as $4. This week, he paid 25 times that much.

"I'm surprised that demand is still there, even at $100 a box," he says.

With prices that high, Millan says organized crime thieves in Mexico are stealing truckloads of limes. He says his producers in Veracruz have had to hire armed security guards for the trip to the border.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-10-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 PM

See reading comprehension is just awful with some people, IF the OP had stated she lived outside city limits,m then I would of recommended more chickens, INSIDE CITY LIMITS there are separate ordinances and many of them are city by city.

I am gla dyou think you know what I mean when I say VERO BEACH and PSL, and not the counties with various areas within. Oh whats that? you don't have a clue and believe what you want to believe?

YOU misunderstand, YOU misquote, and YOU are wrong about what you think I know and don't and what I mean, we raise chickens and love having them, so guess what, we researched it. We also worry about permits and such for building/home improvements, so we researched city limits and ordinances etc.

I did not say the city of sebastian, the city of munga miunga or what ever, I said VERO AND PSL, not palm city, not any other area, the original poster said around FT PIERCE and PSL, not around sebastian, jemsen beach, etc.
If you can find me one just one HOA within the the ft pierce/PSL area that allows chickens, ill be shocked.

Folks, reading is not comprehending, and this is why we are so concerned with the various schools around ST Lucie, Martin, Indian River county, lifelong residence bless their hearts just don't know what they don't know.

Last edited by Cryinsham30; 07-10-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach