Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:20 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
On a side note you forgot the wine/beer and booze. Be safe and hopefully it stays offshore.
We aren't wine drinkers but we do have da booze! Hubby has some beer in the fridge also....think we are set!

Hope it stays offshore also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Also the ceremonial gallon of bleach. As Dave Barry says, no one is quite sure what it's for but you should buy one anyways.

If you've got a five gallon gas tank in the garage for lawn tools, fill it up too. Florida gets almost all of its gad by barge and a hurricane can close the intracoastal for a few days.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Also the ceremonial gallon of bleach. As Dave Barry says, no one is quite sure what it's for but you should buy one anyways.

If you've got a five gallon gas tank in the garage for lawn tools, fill it up too. Florida gets almost all of its gad by barge and a hurricane can close the intracoastal for a few days.
Gas can was filled today along with the MIL's car. Ours we always top it off at 1/2 tank so we are at almost a full tank and didn't want to sit in those lines for just a couple of gallons for our car.

Lines were nuts at the gas stations today! Reminded me of those potential snow storms (that never really came to fruition) in the north east.

We are not leaving this house for a few days, if I can help it! LOL

Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
ok gas stations have lines, it was only $207 just now at Marathon at Walmart in St Lucie West. Down the street a Mobile was $2.25.

SLW Publix... the water was all gone, bread, shelves were being emptied of things you might want. Hoping they are going to restock ...? that was at 5pm

Walmart has Coleman lanterns up front at the right entrance in SLW ...I have all of that stuff.

oh heck yes.. dont forget the wine and alcohol...those shelves are looking a bit empty too! LOL...

Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
People are hilarious going nuts over this. Going to be lots of returns. You know when the forecasters are saying "the western most model" and using that to produce some wind predictions that are 40-60mph with some higher gusts and people are flipping their lids it is kind of hilarious. Let's not mention the two models they are using, GFDL and BAAM haven't done a good job of predicting anything about this storm thus far. Seriously, just got back in and there are people in the dark putting shutters on two story homes. Far more dangerous than this storm, for us at least.

Being prepared is one thing, going crazy over what will be a weakish tropical storm for us is a little funny. This storm is strong, but approaching us in the wrong way to be any major threat to us. Bahamas? Sure, by all means panic. That is where the real danger is for Matthew.

Again, not saying being prepared is a bad thing. People making poor judgement and news casters trying to get you to tune in don't help things.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
aridon... I recall one hurricane that was coming in to hit the other coast...what did it do? It went ACROSS the State and hit US.

Hurricanes usually travel in warm water... we have the gulf stream that runs along our coast to feed it. You won't really know what's going to happen till it does and by then its too late.

better safe than sorry....all those things that get purchased won't go to waste nor do they need to be returned. It means I don't have to hit the stores for all the hurricane supplies the next time... I already have them.

Unless you've got a crystal ball and control the weather....lets wait and see and hope it keeps going up and away from us. Then thank our lucky stars once again...if it does.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
ok.......get cash, keep your gas tanks filled, get prescriptions, dont buy anything that goes in the freezer -get anything you will NEED or have to have.

good possibility we won't have electricity if/when the storm gets to us- think about that for a minute....
the good is we won't be cold as in a nor'easter and snow and power out for days-

Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
People are hilarious going nuts over this. Going to be lots of returns. You know when the forecasters are saying "the western most model" and using that to produce some wind predictions that are 40-60mph with some higher gusts and people are flipping their lids it is kind of hilarious. Let's not mention the two models they are using, GFDL and BAAM haven't done a good job of predicting anything about this storm thus far. Seriously, just got back in and there are people in the dark putting shutters on two story homes. Far more dangerous than this storm, for us at least.

Being prepared is one thing, going crazy over what will be a weakish tropical storm for us is a little funny. This storm is strong, but approaching us in the wrong way to be any major threat to us. Bahamas? Sure, by all means panic. That is where the real danger is for Matthew.

Again, not saying being prepared is a bad thing. People making poor judgement and news casters trying to get you to tune in don't help things.
many years ago some one said there will be no toilet paper- go to the store none was to be found-

Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
I was here for Wilma and we prepared well for it because

<drum roll>

The path of the storm brought the strongest side towards us. Like I said in my post, nothing wrong with being prepared. People are scampering around like ants escaping a flood right now and there really isn't a reason for it.

By all means though, scamper. Was just something i noticed and figured I'd mention it now instead of after the storm already passing us and being nothing. Which I'm glad, I wouldn't want to be in the Bahamas right now. That would certainly be a reason to be worried. The track has been pretty consistent the last week that it would be in that area. They've had time to prepare and hopefully they've done so because that is the far more dangerous side of the storm.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
the good is we won't be cold as in a nor'easter and snow and power out for days-
Indeed, but there is the potential you'll go mad from the heat and humidity, if the power is out for "days".

Mine was out for five days after Charlie in 2004. I have since made the proper preparations. If you find yourself in that situation, the thing that worked best for me was to open all the windows, and camp out in a hallway. It kind of creates a funneling effect with whatever slight breeze there may be and runs it through the narrow hallway. It can keep you almost sane.

This will likely miss the state entirely. But for those that havent had the pleasure of going thru one of these, if it's an upper end CAT 3 or higher, IMHO, evacuation might be a good idea. Watching the wind bend the stop sign on the corner down to the ground might be stressing for some.

CN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach